cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plantguy3802
Paper Tape
Views: 1,508
Message 1 of 5

On Flex 3-1580, WiFi menu under "Settings" tab has gone away, can't connect to Internet.

Hello! I have a Flex 3-1580 I've been using for just shy of six months. Recently, we changed internet providers, and I had log in to our new family network. I did so, and it worked rather well for about ten minutes, until my computer dropped the WiFi signal. This was something I was used to, because it's done so repeatedly with our old Internet provider. I just attributed it to a crappy signal. When this happens, I usually hit the "Windows" button, type "Wi-Fi", select "Change WiFi settings", and disconnect then reconnect to our home network. Until now, doing so solved the problem just fine. However, when I did so today the "Change WiFi settings" option didn't show up. I went into the settings menu and selected the internet and wifi option. Normally, inside of the Internet and Wifi menu within settings there's a special option just for WiFi. It wasn't there. This WiFi menu is the one that allows you to connect and disconnect, choose networks, etc. The whole thing is gone, and I can't find it. I restarted my computer several times, and once or twice the "Change WiFi Settings" menu comes back, but it goes away after a minute or two, or as soon as I try to actually connect with a network. Without this menu, my laptop doesn't recognize networks. I can't connect or disconnect to wireless, and I can't even turn WiFi on or off. I'm really at a loss to what's happening. Do you know how I can restore my WiFi settings menu?

knihT
SCSI Port
Views: 1,486
Message 2 of 5

Re: On Flex 3-1580, WiFi menu under "Settings" tab has gone away, can't connect to Interne

hello plantguy3802

Flex3-15. Nice. 

equipment change or not? Is machine connecting to newly different equipment of newer isp modemrouter combination or are you on the same own-your-own router as before? is this a wi-fi radio button?(does the flex3 have one of those?) Can it be a confused airplane-mode button? (function Fnhotkey)
setting to connect automatically usually connects as quickly as all the steps you take.
are you inclined to say it is the pc problem instead of a new isp/router problem?
Trial: in settings>wifi there is on/off switch top of page. or. check airplane mode settings for interfere. or. delete the connection for re-establish connection as new with password.

find joy.
plantguy3802
Paper Tape
Views: 1,468
Message 3 of 5

Re: On Flex 3-1580, WiFi menu under "Settings" tab has gone away, can't connect to Interne

Yes, we did change ISPs, from frontier to Comcast. What's inclined to make me think it's a problem with my computer is that there *isn't* any settings>WiFi. The menu for changing WiFi settings is totally gone. However, I will try fiddling with airplane mode when I have the chance. Away from my computer right now.
knihT
SCSI Port
Views: 1,459
Message 4 of 5

potential airplaned; consistent with airplane-mode does cause wifi settings to be unavailable. maybe You are onto something there.
Good Luck.
respectfully
knihT
find joy.
acron1
Punch Card
Views: 1,417
Message 5 of 5

This is a known driver issue with your laptop... You need to update your driver from the Device Manager in the Control Panel expand Network Adapters and right click on Inter(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 then Update Driver Software and finally Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software. Since your wireless card probably disappears after a couple of minutes (the source of your problem) I would try doing this after a fresh start AND an Ethernet cable plugged in if possible...

Good luck,

Steve

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors