Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookpages
Paper Tape
Views: 3,422
Message 1 of 11

Ongoing issue with Flex 3 1480 Model 80R3

I purchased a Flex 3 through the Lenovo site for a black friday special and have been having severe problems with it ever since. I'm really at my wits end with what to do with this machine.

Sporatically, my physical keyboard and trackpad will stop working and the issue can't be reset until I let the unit battery drain and die. This is no way to use a laptop. I can not figure out a triggering issue for it, it happens randomly. 

I have called the tech support hotline 3 times and tried chat twice and no one has been able to help me resolve this issue. The tech support personnel have been extremely unhelpful and have talked over me when I attempt to explain what is going on, and refused to transfer me to another associate or escalate my issue to a supervisor.

I feel like I was sold a defective unit. 

What can I do? 

Bookpages
Paper Tape
Views: 3,355
Message 2 of 11

Re: Ongoing issue with Flex 3 1480 Model 80R3

If it helps, when this happens, my fan runs constantly. The air coming out is not hot. 

Bookpages
Paper Tape
Views: 3,349
Message 3 of 11

And, the sound also does not work when this happens. 

Amélie
What's DOS?
Views: 3,340
Message 4 of 11

I also have a lot of issues with my lenovo Flex 3 - 1480. I return it and got another one, but it have the sames problem.

The IT guy at Stapple was abble to correct my Wifi problem, but I still have other problems. I'm really deceived and out of patience. I tought Lenovo was a good compagny, but now a doubt it. This product is defect.

My issus are:

- The touch screen sometime won't work, I have to close and open my laptop for it to work. My keypad and sounds are ok thought.

- Sometime, on the Internet the screen will turn black and a little windows apear saying that ma HD card stopped working.

- For no reason, the fan start making loud noises, turning like the computer is on fire or something.

- And it is now fix, but the Wifi would always shut down when I was away from the keybord for sometime.

Theses problems occured in both laptop I had. It's really pissing me of now.

Also sorry if I made some mistakes, English is not my first language.

tjmoutinho
Paper Tape
Views: 3,305
Message 5 of 11

Hello,

I have also been dealing with the same issues. I purchased the same make and model, Flex-3 1480 Model 80R3, at the same time as you (Black Friday). I agree that all of the problems with this machine are spontaneous and not triggered by anything other than simply having it on. I am exceptionally kind to all of my electronics and have never accidentally damaged any electrical product I have ever owned.

The issues I have been experiencing are as follows:

(1) Several (50%) of the keys on my physical keyboard have failed, rendering the keyboard essentially useless.

(2) The graphics card frequently fails and needs to reboot when simply browsing the web using firefox.

(3) The machine frequently crashes, I believe, due to graphics card issues. The screen goes black (yet, still on) and the machine no longer responds until it is manually turned off and back on again. During a crash event, there is no response from the machine to any stimuli, including the CAPs lock key, ctl+alt+dlt, or any other keys. Also, when the computer crashes, any audio output that was on before the crash is terminated. This type of crash event happened four times in one day while I was simply working on a word document and browsing the internet.

(4) I have also had issues with my wifi connection. This is usually solvable by adjusting a few advanced settings. Regardless, I should not have to alter advanced settings every time I want my computer to look for available wifi signals.

(5) The machine takes a ridiculous amount of time to boot-up and begin responding. Even after limiting as many of the programs as possible that start automatically upon a system re-boot as well as eliminating all of the bloat-ware (i.e. McAfee) the machine still boots-up painfully slow. For a replacement, I installed a better antivirus software, Symantec, and did a thorough antivirus check, with absolutely no hits (as expected, because there is no reason why I would have any form of virus).

Aside from the myriad ways I’ve tried to troubleshoot these technical issues, such as reinstalling drivers and updating software, I have also taken the time to perform a factory reset on this machine as well as reinstall the operating system, Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit. All attempts to fix it have failed.

This machine works as a mediocre, $900 paperweight, but nothing more.

I am a loyal Lenovo customer. I have an IdeaPad from 5 years ago, that treated me quite well and I have a ThinkStation that I purchased through my company for professional use. Both are reliable machines that I am happy with.

LENOVO: I will no longer spend an excessive number of hours troubleshooting technical issues with your defective product. You know, as well as I do, that this make and model of the Flex-3 is flawed and that software patches will not fix it. Please do right by your loyal customers. It will pay off for you in the long run. 

IT IS TIME FOR A RECALL.

Regards,

Tom

Pranjal1185
What's DOS?
Views: 2,612
Message 6 of 11

Hi Tom,

I also have 1 issue same as yours, the one you mentioned in point # 3. Did you ever get a way to fix it or are you still struggling with the issues ?
ChiChiR
What's DOS?
Views: 2,280
Message 7 of 11

This exact issue (including lack of sound and the fan running constantly) just popped up for me on mine last night.  I'm going to try your workaround of letting the battery drain and die.  Have you ever gotten any other resolution or help from Lenovo?

Bookpages
Paper Tape
Views: 2,260
Message 8 of 11

I've haven't received any type of resolution from Lenovo. I declined to send in the machine when all they could tell me was that it was "likely a hardware issue" due to "a driver that isn't compatible with Windows 10". I decided the tech helping me was an idiot and gave up. 

I'll note that the problem stopped for 2-3 months. I can't remember having an issue between mid March and early July. It's started up again recently, and I'm not quite sure why. It may have been something in a windows update? It seems absurd that they would produce a machine that has conflicts with the base operating system they were planning to use... 

Keep us posted if you find any further resolution. 

P.S. The best way I found to run my battery down as quickly as possible is to turn up the brightness all the way, put on Netflix and walk away from the machine. It'll keep the screen lit and actively pulling data from the internet. I've found it takes about 3-4 hours (aka 3-4 1hr episodes) to run the battery down. 

ChiChiR
What's DOS?
Views: 2,255
Message 9 of 11

I've had this machine for about 5 months, and this is the first time it has happened.  I used a game app that I know to be a battery hog, but I like your Netflix idea.  It worked like a charm, though, thank you!

I agree it's pretty poor planning to create a product that doesn't work well with the OS you factory load.  This fix is a royal pain, especially if you really needed to use your computer for something, but I'm just so happy right now that it's working again!  

Begirl42
What's DOS?
Views: 1,822
Message 10 of 11

So no solution to this problem?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors