Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TouchdownTN
What's DOS?
Views: 349
Message 1 of 4

Opinions on 2 different Flex 5 models, Costco

Hoping to get opinions on which Flex 5 I should purchase from Costco.  Both are 15.6", I7-8550U, 16 GB RAM, and both are $999.  One model has a 4K display, 256 SSD+1 TB HDD. The other model has a 1080 display, 512 SSD Only.  My dilemma is should I give up the 4K display for the larger SSD, with 1080 display and add a 2 TB HDD later or just go ahead and get the 256 SSD with the 1 TB HDD already installed and have the 4K display.  Didnt know how a 4K display would be for a laptop (Any Negatives?).  My initial thought was that the 4K display would be more beneficial than an additional 256 GB of SSD, especially with prices of SSD drive falling. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and I hope this post isn't too confusing!

Guru
Views: 341
Message 2 of 4

Re: Opinions on 2 different Flex 5 models, Costco

Just my opinion.  But I would go with the 4k screen since its easier to upgrade a drive than a screen.  Have you compared the 2 screens side by side?  Do you have a preference on the screen?

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

TouchdownTN
What's DOS?
Views: 333
Message 3 of 4

Costco only has the 1080 version in stores, so I can't see the 4K model. I did however see a Yoga @ Best Buy that had a 4K screen.  Text on screen seemed smaller, but could be a setting.  I was kinda of the same thought that I can add more storage easier than upgrading the screen or regretting not getting the 4K later.  I'm guessing, by the time I would need more storage, external SSD drives may be available at more reasonable prices or even just moving older files that aren't used that often to a traditional external 3.0 HDD.

Guru
Views: 331
Message 4 of 4

Thats why I thought 4k would be better.  I always see people asking on older laptops if they can update the screen.  Depending on model i've seen yes but you need a new video cable, new bezel or not sure.  Thats why i suggested 4k screen upfront since the drive is easier to upgrade.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors