Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laptopfox87
Paper Tape
Views: 548
Message 1 of 9

Orange Laptop?

So I've been looking all over the net for a Lenovo Flex 15 in Orange. They are out of stock EVERYWHERE! There's no orange color even for the Yoga models. Is there any laptop that Lenovo has that it is a convertible with an orange rim? Or is there a way I can buy orange case as an accessory separately?

laptopfox87
Paper Tape
Views: 522
Message 2 of 9

Re: Orange Laptop?

I decided I'm just going to get a Lenovo Flex 2 15 and then use spray paint DIY.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 470
Message 3 of 9

Just make sure and mask it well before painting.  Overspray and paint fumes aren't the best for electrical contacts.  

Good luck on your project.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

laptopfox87
Paper Tape
Views: 468
Message 4 of 9

Thanks. Do you have any recommendations as to what coating or mask? I'm simply reading about spray painting laptops 101 online, so I'm new at this. Though unlike many other people's projects, I'm only painting the edges orange. I'll stuff all ports with cotton, so paint or fumes won't disturb electrical contacts.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 457
Message 5 of 9

I've painted many things, but unfortunately a laptop wasn't one of them.  There are spray paints formulated for use on plastics which I assume the edge is made of.  That would be the best option for adhesion.

I would not only stuff all the ports, but also cover them with masking tape if possible.  I would avoid painter's tape since that may not adhere well.  You might also use toweling rather than cotton as the cotton fibers may get stuck in the electrical contacts. Be sure to check each port with a flash light when you are done to see that it is clean.  I would also paper and mask off the keyboard area, screen and bottom with multiple layers or paper and mask off the cooling vents on the sides or bottom.

You might also check with Lenovo Support to see if your project will have an effect on the warranty. 

Lenovo Support - Canada

1-877-4-Lenovo, (1-877-453-6686)
24 hours / day     7 days / week

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

laptopfox87
Paper Tape
Views: 450
Message 6 of 9

Oh I'm well aware that the warranty may be void, but that's fine. Yes there seems to many projects online for painting, designing laptops. Seems fun.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 433
Message 7 of 9

Personally, I've been quite fond of using Plasti-Dip brand lately if you haven't painted before. It adds a rubbery coating to your machine, and you can peel it off if you aren't happy with the results. It only doesn't work well if you intend on doing multiple patterns. However, I'm probably going to dip the Lenovo logo black on mine in the next hour. I'll follow up with photos.
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
pastafarian
Token Ring
Views: 424
Message 8 of 9

FYI , the original plastic coating spray paint is Krylon's Fusion. I have used it extensively (but never on a laptop) and can attest to its quality. The stuff sticks tenaciously to plastic. The Rustoleum brand has copied Krylon, but I've yet to use it.

As for the Plasti-Dip? You're dipping the whole laptop? If you're brushing, what about lap marks? Just curious, bored and always looking for the next project.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 421
Message 9 of 9

I've found Performix's product miles ahead of Rustoleum. The latter has a horrible reputation in the field.

The weather is less favorable to paint today than I had hoped for, so I'll have to delay trying again until another date (plus, my black can was mighty empty).

The plus side is they have some really cool colours if you're willing to put on a thick enough coat. My mic stand is neon green!

Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors