Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsaxononymous
Not applicable
Views: 704
Message 1 of 10

Partitions on Flex 3 1570

I've just got the Flex 3 1570, it's a refurbished unit. I was poking around in Disk Management and I see 6 partitions. 

• Recovery Partition (1GB)
  • EFI System Partition (0.26GB)
  • OEM Partition (1GB)
  • Windows8_OS (CSmiley Happy (891.97GB)
  • LENOVO (NSmiley Happy (25GB)
  • Recovery Partition (12.21GB)

The LENOVO partition is empty, so I really don't know what thats for. Actually, according to Disk Management they're all empty except for the C: partition of course. So it seems as though the system didn't even ship with the recovery image backed up. Is it safe to delete these partitions(particularly the LENOVO partition)?

MArmshaw
Not applicable
Views: 429
Message 2 of 10

Re: Partitions on Flex 3 1570

I am tring to repartition my hardrive. Unfortunately the partitions I want to resize are separated by 'recovery partitions'. I don't know where these partitions came from. I think when the computer was bought I had the C: partition and the D: partition holding the Lenovo recovery stuff. I provided a screenshot of my current partition scheme, if someone from Lenovo could provide a screen shot of a 'factory-fresh' Flex 3 partition scheme so I can see what is necessary, I would be very grateful. 

Thanks,

Matt

MArmshaw
Not applicable
Views: 364
Message 3 of 10

Never got a response to the above question. I spent about two weeks in September trying to load Windows 10 32 bit on my Flex 3 cpu. Had a ton of trouble with the GPT partitioning scheme. I eventually gave up and installed the OS to an older computer with an MBR partitioning scheme. I am thinking about reformatting the Flex 3 disk with MBR (which entails wiping out all partitions and formatting the entire disk). I wanted to check to see if Lenovo provides the original GPT scheme (Recovery Partition, etc.) for download if I later wanted to revert to GPT. An answer to this question would also solve the problem of various partitions - I have partitions seperated by different "recovery" partitions - Lenovo, W7, W10, etc. Is there any way to wipe out all these drives and then set up the original partitions? What are my options?

Thanks,

Matt

tsaxononymous
Not applicable
Views: 360
Message 4 of 10

Idk, I ended up getting an SSD and just doing a fresh install of Windows 10. It now boots up instantaneously and I've never looked back. I'd rather have a vanilla Windows than OEM install with a bunch of crap software anyways.

MArmshaw
Not applicable
Views: 341
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the answer, but Im looking for something more specific from the Lenovo people. Is there anyway I can reset the original system partitions if I remove them from my computer?

Matthew

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 338
Message 6 of 10

You would have to get a image downloaded from Lenovo typically you can download it once as a free service comes with a Media Creation tool that downloads image and can make a USB drive to install image. This install would create every partion as it would have been new. Nice thing about Lenovo they occasionally update the image for Win 10 so you do not have a ton of updates (still have some). If someone had already downloaded the image for that PC you can request a reset of the download allowance for that device. Once reset Lenovo sends a email with link to image. 

MArmshaw
Not applicable
Views: 324
Message 7 of 10

Thanks Johnny - that sounds like the perfect answer. Ill give it a try.

Matthew

MArmshaw
Not applicable
Views: 275
Message 8 of 10

I am back at it. I created a recovery usb through Windows 8.1 Recovery Drive option. I have had zero luck using it however. I have set to UEFI in BIOS, when I boot to the USB however, I end up with the Lenovo splash screen for about ten minutes and then a blue screen saying to restart. I followed some of the Lenovo tutorials, the main one provides two videos for Windows 10. I know that through shift + restart the OS offers a reset' and a 'refresh' option but neither restore factory partitions. Is the usb recovery drive created through Windows not valid for Lenovo? Do I have to purchase a recovery drive from Lenovo? If anyone has reset a Lenovo Flex 3-1120 to factory partition can you offer some advice?

CyberSimian
Not applicable
Views: 265
Message 9 of 10

@MArmshaw wrote:

If anyone has reset a Lenovo Flex 3-1120 to factory partition can you offer some advice?

I don't have any experience of the Flex 3, but if it is like my 700-15ISK, it is completely impossible for the end user to recreate the factory-fresh partitioning scheme.  I think that you have two choices:

(1) Using the existing Windows operating system, create the "Windows Recovery Drive" on a USB memory stick.  Then boot from the memory stick and re-install Windows, erasing everything on the disk.  Note: you might need to open a command window to delete all of the existing partitions, before proceeding with the install.

(2) Download a Windows install image from Microsoft, write it to a USB memory stick, and then boot the memory stick and install Windows.

My 700-15ISK was pre-loaded with 7 partitions:

-- EFI;

-- Microsoft Reserved;

-- Windows OS ("C:" drive);

-- Windows Recovery;

-- Lenovo Data ("D:" drive);

-- Lenovo OEM;

-- Lenovo Recovery;

Of these 7 partitions, only two could be assigned drive letters, and not all of them were visible in "Drive Management" (I used a different partitioning tool to see them).

For both choice (1) and choice (2), the freshly-installed Windows has the first 4 partitions, but not the last 3 partitions.  The difference between choices (1) and (2) is that choice (1) includes the pre-loaded Lenovo applications and drivers, whereas choice (2) does not.  Note that re-installing the OS using either choice disables the Lenovo "One Key Recovery" facility (since part of that resides on the Lenovo partitions).

In order to be able to re-instate the factory-fresh partitioning scheme, you should have imaged the entire disk BEFORE booting windows for the first time (i.e. boot from a USB memory stick containing your disk imaging software).  If you had done that, you could then restore that image containing all of the original partitions in their original state.  I am guessing that you did not do that.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

MArmshaw
Not applicable
Views: 221
Message 10 of 10

I thought that might be the issue (creating a recovery drive on initial boot). Its kinda of funny because none of the tutorials list this as a requirement. They refer to the process as a "reset". I have been doing reinstalls for years with bootable media, but this does not reset the factory partitions. The problem I have with performing the reset by deleting partitions is that I have a ton of OS recovery partitions, and all are simply named Recovery - I cannot determine which partitions are Lenovo and which partitions are Windows. Common sense would say that if the partition separates the largest chunk of memory, these would not be factory partitions, but I would just like to be sure. The Flex 3-1120 does not seem to be a very popular model, but if anyone (including Lenovo) could provide a screen-shot of the original partitions I would be grateful. I have provided a screen shot of my current partition scheme (sorry for the size).

SS_LFlex3_Partition.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors