Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meatwork
Punch Card
Views: 318
Message 1 of 10

Problem updating Edge15 and installing Office

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me. A friend of mine gave me her personal laptop (Edge 15 - model 80H1) running Win8.1 as she said it had never worked right after she got it back from her daughter (who borrowed it for a year after it had been purchased brand new a few years ago). My colleague asked me to reset it to factory settings and install MS Office on it.

The reset went smoothly but I noticed Pokki and Superfish had been installed so I uninstalled them and installed and ran Malwarebytes and quarantined and then deleted the 175 results it found.

When I came to install MS Office, it threw up an error message saying the Univeral CRT (KB2999226) had failed to install. I figured a Windows update would solve the problem so ran the WIndows update through settings. I figured since it had just been reset it would take a while to find and install updates so I let it run for a couple of hours. After that time, there was no indication any updates had been found and the dots were still scrolling across like they do on 8.1.

I cancelled the update and downloaded the KB2999226 download direct from MIcrosoft website as I figured this would be a bit quicker. Well, it downloaded and ran and then when installing it said it was searching for updates and the green scroll bar would scroll around and around for a couple of hours quite happily (albeit, quite annoyingly from my point of view!)

I cancelled that, went to the Lenovo website and searched for updates to firmware and drivers and installed those, but not for the BIOS as that always makes me nervous but I figured (maybe incorrectly) that it is not a BIOS problem anyway.

When I was installing these Lenovo firmware updates I noticed they wouldn't run un;ess ran as administrator. SO I went back to my download of KB2999226) and ran that as administrator instead of just double clicking. During the install/run of the update it popped open a couple of command prompt boxes and the green scrolly line would happily scroll around for another couple of hours. But still no updates would be found nor would KB2999226 be properly installed.

I cancelled that (again! Believe me, I tried several times to run that and get it to work/find updates, leaving it to run for at least an hour each time!) and went back into Settings and WIndows Update and ran that and left it to run overnight thinking that 6 or 7 hours should be enough for it to find updates and start downloading. Errrrrrr ... NOPE!!

I get up the next morning, have breakfast and look at this laptop and it is STILL searching for updates. Come on!!!

I realise Win8.1 is pretty old by now and, therefore, there'll be bucketloads of updates to be found but surely it should have found SOME after 7 hours of searching!!

Then I went searching on the internet and downloaded and tried installing the VC Redistributable 2017 version 14.16.27027 as I believe that is related to the KB2999226. If I understand it correctly. But that didn't work or install either, and I just gave up in the end.

I also realise this is not a brand new laptop but with a reset of WIndows it can be considered a clean WIndows install and, therefore, should NOT be this diffuclt or time consuming to update it. If it was this difficult when it was brand new then I'd be disappointed after spending as much money as I just had done on such a high-priced laptop as that one undoubtedly is.

Does anyone out there have a solution? If WIndows update won't update and KB2999226 won't install and run properly, how is it supposed to be updated??

Please help. This is a gorgeous laptop and I'd hate not to be able to get it working for my colleague. Thanks.

Meatwork
Punch Card
Views: 292
Message 2 of 10

Re: Problem updating Edge15 and installing Office

Seriously, no one can answer this? Not even someone from lenovo will offer some help? It's a Lenovo machine, for crying out loud!!

I tell you something, I'm never buying a Lenovo machine if this is the lack of help I'm getting.

black_sin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 267
Message 3 of 10

I think it's better to just fresh install the Windows using iso from Media Creation Tool rather than just reset it from inside.

Or you can try use the same method to upgrade to Windows 10 for free with a little trick since Microsoft is really pushing Windows 10.

Meatwork
Punch Card
Views: 257
Message 4 of 10

What little trick?

I went ahead and did this, it downloaded the Windows 10 stuff, changed to the "Choose what you want to keep" screen but didn't stay on it long enough for me to choose anything, and went directly to checking for updates. It now says Checking for updates: 46%, where it has been stuck at 46% for about half an hour.

I hope this is going to work. I'll leave it a little longer before I start worrying it being stuck .... 

Meatwork
Punch Card
Views: 233
Message 5 of 10

It's been several hours and still it is saying "Checking for updates: 46%" and the little dots are still going round in circles. Help! (Please!)

Meatwork
Punch Card
Views: 208
Message 6 of 10

Here's a question ... If I do a fresh install using the Media Creation tool, do I need the licence key or will it just install and insert the licence key automatically?

Meatwork
Punch Card
Views: 197
Message 7 of 10

The total lack of help on this forum is amazing ....

black_sin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 184
Message 8 of 10

Did you install windows froom botable? Because it should not checking for updates until initial installation done.

From what I see, your Windows have trouble connecting to Microsoft, so just to be safe, laptop should not connected to internet while doing so.

"Here's a question ... If I do a fresh install using the Media Creation tool, do I need the licence key or will it just install and insert the licence key automatically?"

For this one, there are two ways. You can simply enter license key when promted or you can activate it later by login to same Microsoft account that tied to the license key.

Meatwork
Punch Card
Views: 176
Message 9 of 10

I was trying to instlall Win10 via Media Creation Tool downloaded from MS website. It would go through the initial install, ask me what I want to keep, then change screen before I could choose, then continue doing what it does until it gets to the checking for updates like it usually does with Win10 installs/upgrades, then get to 46% and just sit circling (I am sick of dots and circles - it's about time they changed it for squares or triangles or hexagons or something) for hours, not going any fuirther.

As for the Win8.1, I was under the impression that the licence key is embedded in the BIOS on newer machines (but not hundred percent certain when this started) and so that a clean install of a non-Lenovo-bloatware version of 8.1 would just automatically install itself in the new version.

I am trying to figure out what is stopping this laptop from successfully downloading and installing updates. As you say, Windows seems to be having trouble connecting to MS, and I'm wondering if a non-Lenovo-bloatware version of Win8.1 might solve that, but I don't have the licence key and I'm hoping it is embedded in the BIOS so that a clean version of 8.1 will just automatically install it.

Meatwork
Punch Card
Views: 153
Message 10 of 10

Okay, so just in case anyone else has this problem, here is the solution I found that worked for me:-

I'm not sure how I found it but I found someone else having the same problem with a Lenovo laptop who had found a solution after posting on another forum (I posted here and Microsoft forums). I hope I'm not breaking rules by posting links to external websites (my apologies if I am) but here goes:-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/635451/win-81-reinstalled-now-have-problems/

The link says if KB3173424 doesn't solve the problem then download the July 2016 rollup which is KB3172614 - which is dependent upon having KB2919355 and KB3021910 installed.

The machine I was having trouble with had only KB2919355 installed but I thought I'd try installing KB3173424 anyway, and as soon as it had installed and rebooted the machine I had 227 updates waiting for me. Woo!!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors