cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nam9
Paper Tape
Views: 690
Message 1 of 5

Problems with OneKey Recovery USB Recovery Media on IdeaPad 310 - Unable to detect USB.

Hi.

I have an IdeaPad 310 that shipped with a 2TB HDD that I would like to replace with a 512GB SSD.

After speaking with Lenovo support i was under the impression that I should be able to use OneKey recovery to create a USB recovery image, swap the drives over and use System Retore to load a factory fresh OS on my SSD.

I have prepared the Recovery USB drive. I am in the process of trying to initiate the OneKey Recovery system restore.

This is where i run into problems. OneKey does not pick up my USB drive recovery image.

Ok - perhaps the USB drive is not configured as a bootable device. I have used DiskPart to reformat the drive to NTFS format and make the boot partition active (diskpart active). My USB drive is too large to format as FAT32...

NTFS is not compatible with UEFI...(?)... So in the BIOS I have selected Boot Mode as Legacy..., Disabled UEFI... USB is enabled.

Now when i run OneKey recovery --> System restore... UEFI network boot does not start up, but i receive an error that no OS was found, remove drive and restart (or words to that effect..).

What next? Do i need to Format in FAT32 in order to boot from the recovery drive? 

nam9
Paper Tape
Views: 606
Message 2 of 5

Re: Problems with OneKey Recovery USB Recovery Media on IdeaPad 310 - Unable to detect USB.

Ok...For some reason the USB drive is showing up when I select Boot Manager. The list is:

SSD (New one i'm trying to factory restore to).

ODD (DVD-RW)

USB (My recovery drive...).

If i select the USB drive and hit Enter... I get the 'An operating System wasn't found' message.

Does this mean there is an issue with my USB drive?

Or is the laptop still trying to boot form the SSD?

I have Boot Priority set to 'Legacy first' in the BIOS... Do i need to manually specify the USB drive as the primary boot device?

Does the OneKey Recovery system not check all available drives for bootable media and just try to run from the primary boot device??

Cheers.

nam9
Paper Tape
Views: 594
Message 3 of 5

Re: Problems with OneKey Recovery USB Recovery Media on IdeaPad 310 - Unable to detect USB.

Managed to reorder boot sequence with USB drive at the top.

Same issue - No operating system found on OneKey recovery drive.

What gives?

I have double checked that the drive is bootable... still, nothing.

Any suggestions before i give up and order a Lenovo recovery disk?

Highlighted
Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 578
Message 4 of 5

Hi nam9,

The USB drive that you created will not have an OS to load Onekey Recovery thus it would not work. Whats currently inside the USB drive is a backup of your system's OS and files in a compressed file/image. The file wont work on its own.

What we need to do here is get a Recovery USB for your computer from Lenovo if you want a default copy of the Lenovo hard drive, or you can try creating a USB Recovery Drive for Windows 10. 

Here are links about Onekey Recovery and How to create a USB Recovery Drive for Win10:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT077084
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT117511

Hope this helps.

Cheers, 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
nam9
Paper Tape
Views: 560
Message 5 of 5

Hi jamdy,

Ok, that would make sense. Thanks for your input - Wasn't clear to me from the documentation.

Plus I spoke with support at LEnovo who recommended me this process in the first place...

I have been in touch with Lenovo again regarding a USB recovery drive. They will ship one out to me ,

Hopefully that will take care of everything.

Thanks again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors