Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EinfoMail
Punch Card
Views: 111
Message 1 of 9

Role of GPU in virtualization

Hi,

I read some articles related to need and impotence of GPU.

At the end, I found, the major role of the GPU is in gaming and video rendering.

Neither I am a gamer nor doing any video rendering. I have to run 3-4 virtual machines (Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016) on regular basis.

That’s why I believe 2GB graphics is absolutely fine and 4GB graphics is just like wasting. Is my opinion favourable? Please guide me.

Regards

EinfoMail

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 70
Message 2 of 9

Re: Role of GPU in virtualization

Hello EinfoMail!

Are you going to run GPU intensive tasks on each of the virtual machines at the same time? 2gb and 4gb vRAM on a GPU functions the same but most of the time the higher the memory the better the GPU is. Also, running virtual machines is not GPU dependent, it'll depend on the RAM and the CPU. 

Hassen_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Benji96
WWAN
Views: 65
Message 3 of 9

Well, I agree in the point that for virtualisation, the CPU and RAM are the most important things, the GPU only plays a very small part in that (unless you are using a software that allows direct GPU passthrough, in that case it's a different story). What I do not agree with is the fact that "more memory equals a better GPU". Most absolute low-end GPUs back in the Nvidia Fermi era had like 4GB of VRAM. They were still not usable for more than webbrosing. Video memory is being used as a marketing strategy. What good is memory if the chip itself is weak and couldn't handle applications that load such an amount of VRAM? Plus, the slower the VRAM is, the slower it gets the more VRAM is being used, so that doesn't have to say a thing. A 2GB GPU (as Lenovo, in lower-end models prefers to use ~4-5 year old low-end AMD chips) is, by far, sufficient for the GPUs used. 4GB in models like a Radoen R7 M460 are just being used for marketing with essentially no performance increase. There even are AMD Ryzen APU systems with chips like the Radeon 530 where the dedicated GPU is weaker than the integrated GPU and the memory actually slower than the system bandwidth itself, which the iGPU uses.

Go for more RAM and CPU horsepower instead of dumping money in something that is useless in your usercase, like excessive amounts of VRAM.

Did I/anybody else help you? Give a Kudo!
Did a post solve your problem? Set the post as solution!

Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR (81H9003VGE)
EinfoMail
Punch Card
Views: 59
Message 4 of 9

Now I purchased Ideapad 330S-15IKB (81F500GLIN) having Processor: Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (1.60GHz, up to 3.40GHz 4 Cores, 6MB Cache), GPU: AMD Radeon 540 2GB GDDR5 and RAM: 4.0GB PC4-19200 DDR4 Soldered 2400MHz. Also I added another RAM of 8GB in the provided slot. Now total RAM of the laptop is 12GB. I believe this specification can work fine for virtualization like VMware Workstation and vSphere ESXi.

Benji96
WWAN
Views: 54
Message 5 of 9

The CPU and RAM configuration should be sufficient, yes. You might have to go to the BIOS and enable the virtualisation technology to even be able to use that, as that setting usually is disabled by default.

EinfoMail
Punch Card
Views: 51
Message 6 of 9

Yes, I enabled virtualization from BIOS.

Benji96
WWAN
Views: 48
Message 7 of 9

Well, sounds like you're well set-up. Enjoy your device!

EinfoMail
Punch Card
Views: 43
Message 8 of 9

Yes, but previously I was using desktop computer with good configuration. I read some articles that say laptop is not recommended for virtualization work because of heating issue. A laptop produces heat even in general work. In case of visualization, it may produce more heat and more heating may create other issues. Would you like to recommend some precautions so that I can enjoy virtualization in my laptop? 

Benji96
WWAN
Views: 41
Message 9 of 9

As long as you're not blocking off the air intake and exhaust you shouldn't run into any sort of problems as modern processors automatically clock down or power off should the thermals get too high. I wouldn't worry about it. I was, just for fun, running 3 Windows 7 machines on my Lenovo Yoga 530. Yes, it got warmer, but it didn't throttle or cause any other problems so you should be good to go.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors