Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
igg
Paper Tape
Views: 21,696
Message 1 of 2

SOLVED: IdeaPad 510s/Qualcomm QCA9377 slow wireless download speed

For the benefit of anyone struggling with slow wireless speeds on a Lenovo laptop with the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 wireless card, here's what worked for me.

(tl;dr: disable WMM/QoS on your router)

So I just purchased a new IdeaPad 510S-14ISK.  From the start, the wireless seemed slow, but I planned to remove Windows 10 and install 7, so I didn’t pay too much attention.  After a clean install of Windows 7, the wireless was still very slow.  Running speedtest.net I found 1-2 Mbps down and 30+ up.  Other laptops in the house (Dell and Asus) get as high as 45 down and 45 up.  (I have Verizon 50/50.)  On Ethernet, the IdeaPad gets the same speed as anything else, so this was specifically a wireless issue.

I spent a lot of time reading different solutions and trying some random things:

• Removing and reinstalling the wifi driver
  • Logging into safe mode with networking
  • Disabling b/g support on the router
  • Using an optimization tool from Verizon
  • Etc…

Nothing made any difference.

Finally I found a couple of articles:

http://www.ybrikman.com/writing/2012/02/19/got-slow-download-but-fast-upload/ (where I stole the tl;dr summary)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2753464/atheros-qualcomm-qca9377-802-compatibility-issues.h...

As soon as I disabled the WMM/QoS on my FIOS router speeds on the IdeaPad jumped up to 30+/30+.  Amazing difference and performance is perfect. 

I think this problem is specific to the QCA9377 card.  The Dell has an Intel dual band AC 8260 card in it.  Not sure what card the Asus has.  I don’t know if the FIOS router has a particular conflict or not.  I have seen other posts where this change helped people on Comcast and other providers. 

In any case, now I’m very happy with the laptop.  I was honestly nervous for a minute there that I had made a big mistake.  I just wish it had dedicated page up/page down buttons!!

Hope this helps some of you.

ragh1
What's DOS?
Views: 17,599
Message 2 of 2

Re: SOLVED: IdeaPad 510s/Qualcomm QCA9377 slow wireless download speed

Thank you very much. I had same problem with Lenovo Flex3. Lenovo G50 worked fine... i have MI424WR BHR3 verizon router. Now i am up from 0.2 Mbps to 25 Mbps by changing this settings. i found WMM settings in below path

wireless settings-> advanced security setting-> other advanced wireless options ->wmm settings

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors