Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
selky
Paper Tape
Views: 384
Message 1 of 2

SSD for 700-15ISK Laptop (ideapad)

Hey,

I'd like to upgrade my Ideapad 700 laptop with a M2 SSD, but I don't know if I need to buy a SATA-III or a PCIE x4 one.

Most likelly, it will be a Samsung 860/960 Evo.

Could you tell me which is compatible with my laptop?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 352
Message 2 of 2

Re: SSD for 700-15ISK Laptop (ideapad)

@selky wrote:

I'd like to upgrade my Ideapad 700 laptop with a M2 SSD, but I don't know if I need to buy a SATA-III or a PCIE x4 one. Could you tell me which is compatible with my laptop?

The 700-15ISK certainly supports NVMe M.2 SSDs.  That is what was installed in mine when I purchased it.  The SSD is a Samsung model.

There is some suggestion that laptops of the 700-15ISK era (two years ago now!) also accept SATA M.2 SSDs.  If you already have a SATA M.2 SSD, you might as well try it to see if it works.  Note that current laptops (e.g. the 520 or 720 series) accept NVMe M.2 SSDs, but do not accept SATA M.2 SSDs.  So product design has gone backwards in that respect!

As to the choice between NVMe and SATA:

(1) NVMe are alleged to produce more heat than SATA, and as a result can be subject to thermal throttling (i.e. the SSD slows down).

(2) Not all of the PCI-E lanes are activated in the 700-15ISK, so you won't obtain the superfast speed that some NVMe SSDs claim.  But you won't notice this in normal use.

(3) In the past, the 700-15ISK was quite picky about which SSDs would work.  There was some suggestion that it had a "whitelist".  Recent BIOSes may have increased the number of supported SSDs, but possibly you should proceed with caution.  The "Hardware Maintenance Manual" (HMM) for the 700-15ISK lists SSDs that will definitely work, but that list is quite small.  Samsung would probably be a good choice, but there is no guarantee that models not listed in the HMM would work.  Try to purchase from a retailer that will guarantee that the SSD will work, or allow you to return it for a full refund if it does not.

(4) There are other threads on this site discussing which SSDs work in the 700-15ISK; you might want to read some of those for more information.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors