Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 25,999
Message 28 of 31

Solved: No Storage Space (The Easy Way)

Created to be able to mark what was an opening post as the solution.

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

Highlighted
darwinian
Blue Screen Again
Views: 46,254
Message 1 of 31

Solved: No Storage Space (The Easy Way)

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to post this solution to a problem I've noticed a lot of Lenovo users (particularly with the lower end, lower storage space computers, are having.)

I bought my IdeaPad 110s the other day on sale at best buy for 150 bucks! I know it wasn't going to be the fastest or greatest laptop ever but I certainly wasn't expecting the annoying issue I had of not even being able to update windows because there wasn't enough storage... and yet I hadn't even installed any other additional software. 

In almost every single other post I have seen the simple use of disk cleanup (which, doesn't seem to take into account the fact that I needed about half my hard disk space reclaimed.)

Sorry for the predlude, here's the real solution:

1: Get a USB drive (Preferably 3.0 and 32gb or more)

2: Plug it into a USB 3.0 port (the USB port with blue on it)... trust me, on these low-end computers it makes a huge difference.

3: Make sure its formatted fat32 

4: In the search box on the bottom of your screen, type in Create a Recovery Drive, click it and follow the instructions. Make sure you check the box that says include system files! (This will take a while. So don't think your PC is freezing.)

5: On some systems, at the end of this process, it will give you the option of clearing the system files off the pc. In my case, it did not.

Here, I further wondered why I had 1 GB of free space left....

Well, its located in a folder titled windows.old

It's a previous install of windows. Most people, if trying to delete this folder, will just delete it the way they delete any other folder.

But this isn't the right way... Now comes disk cleanup

6: Run disk cleanup. Click the bottom left part which says "Cleanup system files" and you will notice this little humdinger!

BEHOLD, THE MONSTER HOGGING YOUR HARD DISK.

Screenshot (7)_LI.jpg19GB!!!!!

That is almost 20 gigs of storage. Make sure to ONLY check this box. Uncheck any of the others for now. 

Now you're free

xav4
Paper Tape
Views: 43,655
Message 2 of 31

Re: Solved: No Storage Space (The Easy Way)

Create a recovery  does not give the  option to cleanup next old windows. This is is only after major win update ... so you need to free space with C: first and if you  cannot then add memory sd card as D: and extend C with D into diskmgnt

Smiley Happy

kjoanna
Paper Tape
Views: 43,278
Message 3 of 31

Can you please explain that again in layman's terms? I have the same issue but I'm completely daft when it comes to computer stuff... 

Thanks!

xav4
Paper Tape
Views: 43,266
Message 4 of 31

yes Smiley Happy

You need to apply what I've explained in this thread before :

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/IdeaPad-110s-How-to-free-up-disk-space/...

Then just do the point 6 (cleaning of windows.old) explained in this thread here...

xav4
Paper Tape
Views: 43,264
Message 5 of 31

But before you must free space on C: to have 8G and more free to install update of win10 (that's pre-requis)  :

1- play with DISM++ tool , do it 2 or 3 times

2- reduce pagefile.sys that is the swap of computer : put it fixed to 1Go no more.

3- uninstall all you can from programs not usefull (you will have space next to operation to reinstall)

kjoanna
Paper Tape
Views: 43,255
Message 6 of 31

Sorry, but - that's still too complicated for me! I'm stupid, ok. I do not understand computer lingo. What is Dism++ ?
I created a recovery drive with my USB, but when I ran disk cleanup there was nothing about Previously Installed Windows. So... ehh?!
KnightHawkeye
Punch Card
Views: 43,238
Message 7 of 31

@xav4 wrote:

yes Smiley Happy

You need to apply what I've explained in this thread before :

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/IdeaPad-110s-How-to-free-up-disk-space/...

Then just do the point 6 (cleaning of windows.old) explained in this thread here...

That doesn't help those of us who have been fighting the problem recently. The current Win 10 OS creates an SxS file rather than windows.old and the SxS file cannot be safely deleted. Smiley Sad

xav4
Paper Tape
Views: 43,235
Message 8 of 31

Winsxs cannot be deleted, that's the reason why it must be only purged with a tool called dism++ and that's what I've done, so my purpose is already up to date in this thread, sorry KnightHawkeye.

there is another method (I didn't needed for my update) that consist of recreate the winsxs structure by a command line that is purge totaly winsxs, then install win10 update from external ISO on usb.

xav4
Paper Tape
Views: 43,233
Message 9 of 31

I'm sorry kjoanna, but I'm afraid that I should help you physicaly but here I cannot help you Smiley Happy must have minimal computer knowledge to do the steps mentioned before. Search on the web how to purge winsxs directory by command line and create win10 iso usb so if you really want to do your update you will need to fight a little !
dism++ is a program you can download on the web Smiley Happy
Top Kudoed Authors