cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martijn1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,282
Message 1 of 19

Strange mouse pointer behaviour when working in background - Lenovo Ideapad 510S 14ISK

I am experiencing strange mouse pointer behaviour after my laptop has been running for a while and a program is working in the background. The mouse pointer is displayed in a very low resolution, while jumping up to another part of the screen. So usually, the mouse cursor looks like this:

loadingright.jpg

But when the problem occurs, it looks like this (and jumps up to another part of the screen):

lowres.jpg

As mentioned, the problem only occurs after my laptop has been running for a while (this may take a day, but sometimes only an hour) but when it does, it keeps occuring untill I restart. This has been happening since I bought the system about two months ago.

System: Lenovo ideapad 510S14ISK

Operating system: Windows 10

I already tried:

- updating my drivers (using Lenovo Companion)

- reinstalling windows (while keeping my files)

- uninstalling Lenovo System Interface Foundation as recommended here
- unchecking the box "enhance pointer precision", also as recommended here

The problem occurs both with my external mouse plugged in and plugged off.

Any ideas what might be causing this problem? 

Martijn1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,257
Message 2 of 19

Re: Strange mouse pointer behaviour when working in background - Lenovo Ideapad 510S 14ISK

Maybe related to this issue, maybe not:

I also noticed a strange resolution in a few other places. For example, in the image below you can see that the text in the left box is displayed much sharper than that in the right box.

rareresolutie.PNG

This occurs also after my laptop has just restarted and is of course much less anoying. Nonetheless, I thought it would be interesting to mention as the two issues might be related.

barts94
What's DOS?
Views: 3,998
Message 3 of 19

Re: Strange mouse pointer behaviour when working in background - Lenovo Ideapad 510S 14ISK

I've also been having this problem and it annoys me terribly, as I'm sure it did you. Have you found a fix?

Martijn1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,990
Message 4 of 19

Unfortunately not. I have been sending emails back and forth to Lenovo support for quite some time now, but so far no fix.

Lenovo support first thought that it might have been a software issue. So I did a clean reinstall, but the issue reoccured after 4 days with only some really basic programs installed (Avast antivirus free, Dropbox, Foxit PDF free, Google Chrome, Microsoft Office 365 (complete), Spotify). All of these programs were installed legaly.

Most of the time the issue seems to start occuring when I'm using Chrome. However, this could also be because I use chrome a lot and while using it the "working in background" cursor is often displayed.

Currently, Lenovo support has offered me to send them my laptop for free repair (support is helpfull, by the way). I have yet to do this as I can not do without a laptop at the moment.

Great to see I'm not the only person on the internet having this problem though (sorry for you however)! Maybe we can compare our systems for a bit so we exclude some possible causes?

2718mily
Paper Tape
Views: 3,839
Message 5 of 19

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having exactly the same issue, tried all the same steps you have, haven't had any luck. 

Martijn1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,825
Message 6 of 19

Unfortunately not, I also have not tried any new solutions since my previous post.

d0dge
What's DOS?
Views: 3,781
Message 7 of 19

I have the same.... I changed screen resolution from 150% to 151% and changed my background cursor image to the one with the arrow and eggtimer, and it seems to have reduced the problem but not resolved it. 

javiergoyret
What's DOS?
Views: 3,757
Message 8 of 19

Hi! I had the same problem. I tried updating the firmware and the weird mouse pointer apparently disappeared. I have a Lenovo Yoga 720, and the firmware package was "Wacom Touch Firmware Package - 10 [64] - V.02.16".

Hope it helps.

iebadawi95
Paper Tape
Views: 3,724
Message 9 of 19

Hi, came here experiencing the same issue on my Flex 4 1480-80VD. Bought the laptop last December but the issue is maybe 1-2 months old. Just updated the firmware as the post above mentionned and the pointer has been fine since! Downloaded the firmware here: https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/downloads/ds112340

YAgravat
Paper Tape
Views: 3,662
Message 10 of 19

I am also facing a similar problem in my Lenovo Yoga 510 14IKB - windows 10. Not sure if this is exact same or slightly different problem. Whenever the laptop is doing some processing in the background usually the mouse cursor changes (usually there occurs a processing icon along with the main cursor icon) while this is not a problem but whenever this happens, the cursor accuracy is lost. I click somewhere but the thing next to it gets clicked! The moment processing is done and that other processing icon disappears, the cursor accuracy returns to normal.

I have tried the following things but none worked.

1 - Installed Lenovo Updates through Lenovo companion

2 - Installed windows updates

3 - Checked/Unchecked multiple times the "Enhance pointer precision" option from mouse properties ->pointer options

4 - Unchecked "display pointer traits"

5 - Unchecked "enable pointer shadow"

6 - Changed cursor icons multiple times

Anything is not helping me with this annoying problem. Can anyone help please?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors