Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tony3d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 254
Message 1 of 8

Upgrading ram in Ideapad

Going to upgrade the ram in my Ideapad 15-ACL computer to 8 gig. How difficult is it to pry open the case? Is a Philips head screwdriver all that’s needed aside from some pry tools? Is it necessary to unplug the battery? Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 244
Message 2 of 8

Re: Upgrading ram in Ideapad

I don't recognize Ideapad 15-ACL.  There must be more.

Whatever machine you have you must unplug it and remove the battery before starting.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 242
Message 3 of 8

The instructions on how to remove the base cover beginning on page 30 of the Lenovo ideapad 110-14IBR/110-15IBR/110-15ACL/110 Touch-15ACL Hardware Maintenance Manual.     It is important to keep track of the screws, because on the base cover there two different types as shown in the instructions on page 33, so make sure keep track of the 3 shorter screws.     

Some nylon pry tools (spudgers) would be certainly be useful, but I have used guitar picks and old credit cards in the past, but the right tools help ensure you don't break any of the tabs on the base cover.     Don't use a screwdriver, they tend to just tear up the plastic.

The instructions say to remove the battery, but you just need to unplug it as shown on page 36 while working inside. 

Cheers,

Tony3d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 225
Message 4 of 8

Yes, I order some prying picks. I just wanted to find out if any other screw types than Philips were used.  Ram replacement looks pretty straight forward. I’ll ground myself for sure. Thanks for the PDF.

Tony3d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 195
Message 5 of 8

I also posted this on the Facebook Levono page, and Levono also mentioned you must actually remove the entire battery! I wonder why they say stick to that? Makes no sense to me. I would think unplugging the cable from the mother board would be good enough.

RockHardy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 181
Message 6 of 8

Do a Google image search for "Sleek Curved Cuticle Pusher" and that's what I used. My girlfriend had a cheap plastic one that she never used (she has steel ones), and that works like a dream. I used an old credit card to pry the back corner near the power plug, and then slid the curved tip of the pusher in there (curving down towards the base), and slid it along the edge slowly, gently levering the keyboard plate up from the base. Once I had that loose all-around, I flipped it over, and with the pusher still curving (up now) towards the base, I repeated the process, while gently prying with my fingers to loosen things. The back part of the top plate (that runs along the bottom of the screen) was most difficult, but the pushing let me get enough leverage that it just popped apart easily. Slow and steady wins this race. Those clips look flimsy, and they'll only get flimsier with age.

Tony3d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 169
Message 7 of 8

On the 110- 15-ACL, the keyboard doesn’t get removed. The back is held on only with some 14 screws or so. That makes it a bit easier. Ram should come today.

Tony3d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 164
Message 8 of 8

Well the ram was delivered unscathed! Probably won’t be able to install it till Monday, as I’m busy all weekend, and don’t want to rush. Any last minute advice? Tips? I’ve installed lots of ram in desktops, but never opened a laptop yet. Hope it all goes smooth.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors