Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smrtech
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 387
Message 1 of 8

What Controls Display Rotation on Edge 15

I am curious what exactly controls display rotation when flexing/rotating the display on an Edge 15?

Is this controlled by physical hardware, a switch somewhere or software?

Or is this a driver of some sort?

My display is not changing when I rotate the screen on Windows 8.1....

There is no mention of a switch to change as I know this is the case on some models,

but was wondering if I am missing a driver or could be some other setting?

Tell me how this works?

Guru
Views: 376
Message 2 of 8

Re: What Controls Display Rotation on Edge 15

I read the manual and the hardware maintenance guide and there is no physical switch for rotation.

This laptop has only 2 modes (as I can see) - Laptop and Stand. Neither of those modes use a rotated display so I am a bit confused exactly how are you expecting the laptop to rotate display.

Existence of just those 2 modes also makes me question if whether an orientation harware/drive is even included in this laptop?

Did someone tell you or have you ever seen Edge 15 rotate the display on changing modes/flipping display?

I saw a couple of youtube reviews and they do not show any such feature.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
smrtech
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 372
Message 3 of 8

Hmmm, maybe that's the issue - the screen doesn't rotate?    I saw a bunch of different and similar

laptops in the store (before I bought this one) and the displays all rotated when you put it in stand/tent

mode.  This made perfect sense to me, so that's what I expected to happen on this one.  Oh well,

not a big deal really.

Guru
Views: 362
Message 4 of 8

Sorry, I dont have this laptop so I cannot say for sure. Hopefully someone who has Edge 15 can provide more information.

Have you tried calling Lenovo support and asking them what is the issue with the rotation on this laptop. Is it available or not?

For support number, select your country on this page -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist_alt1

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
digger62
Punch Card
Views: 342
Message 5 of 8

I have an Edge 15 (from Lenovo, not Best Buy) and have experimented with the 3rd (Tent) mode. It works for me, as does stand mode with the keyboard face down. I believe the "Transition.exe (in Startup tab in Task manager) is the software that senses display (and keyboard?) position - I also believe "ymc.exe" may be the program that does this (I think YMC means Yoga Mode Control). My system build is dated 2/14/2015. Have you disabled Transition in Startup? Are you using the Lenovo system build? I am not nearly expert in these matters, so you are getting my observations. I also have observed that Lenovo appears to support ThinkPads far more proactively than they do for some other (not Yoga) consumer laptop lines. These User Forums are the only online support I have seen for interactive dialog

smrtech
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 328
Message 6 of 8

OK, this makes some sense.  I did a clean install on this computer after and SSD install

with Windows 8.1  No issues at all getting all the needed drivers from Lenovo -

but any clue where to find these items you mention from their "Downloads"?

Sounds like this should be easy to find and install a separate item.

digger62
Punch Card
Views: 317
Message 7 of 8

Sorry smrtech. I can't find any download of Lenovo Transition for the Edge 15. There's one for the Yoga 2 Pro, but the Edge 15 doesn't show in the supported systems. You may be able to call the support number and ask for the Transition package that supports the Edge 15, but there may be other dependencies that Transition requires, so it might get tricky.

May I ask which SSD did you install in your system? Any problem with BIOS whitelist, etc?

Good luck with your search - I'd be interested if you ever find Transition for the Edge 15 - it's a very nice system IMHO.

smrtech
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 309
Message 8 of 8

I installed a Mushkin 240gb SSD ECO2 and it fit
in the existing driver carrier without issue.

I am goi got try and install the Yoga transition driver
and see what happens. If it doesn't install, I'll just
live with it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors