cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyTonguc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 238
Message 1 of 5

What is the max. M.2 NVME SSD capacity support for IdeaPad 330-15ICH (81FK005NTX)

I have purchased Lenovo IdeaPad 330-15ICH which comes with 128GB NVME SSD and 1 TB conventional HDD (81FK005NTX). I have a plan to upgrade my NVME SSD to a 500GB or 1TB Samsung 970 EVO plus NVME m.2 drive. But recently when I search on forums, some folks stated that max. capacity support for m.2 slot is 256GB because it is written in specifications "avaliable in 128Gb and 256GB" Also it is written "up to 256GB" in product's web page. But firstly i thought these written informations indicate that there are 2 different capacity options for sale in the market. Otherwise it should be written "supported up to 256GB" in the specifications part. Still I am not sure about the capacity limit. Is there anybody who have tried larger capacity for this model?

I need to clarify the capacity limit before i order my new drive. Another question is also some folks mentions that Sata port of this computer doesn't support for conventional 2.5" SSD drives like 1TB Sandisk Ultra 3D. Is this information right? And again what is the max. capacity for SATA drives? Specifications indicates that 2TB 7mm height drives are supported. Ok but what about SSD?

Conclusion; For a 2,5" 7mm height SATA Harddrive 2TB is a fair capacity for today's technology but it will be an annoying limitation for future upgrades. But it is really hard to understand the 256GB limitation for NVME drives even 2TB m.2 NVME models are already available on the market? Does Lenovo have a plan to fix this limitation with a BIOS update? So it means that this computer has a max capacity support of 2,25 TB in total? What about people who needs more storage? like video editors? I was working with my old laptop Samsung RF511-S05TR has a 2TB HD on it even it was produced on year 2011. But 2018 production Lenovo have the same limitation??? SSD's are becoming cheaper and faster every single month. As a presume approx. in 2 years there will be capacities around 8TB on NVME and producers will remove capacities like 256GB and 500GB from their. Even for now lots of brands removed 128GB capacity from their new product lines. On the new step may be next year they will remove 256GB for their product line. Will we look for second hand to upgrade our computers?

Thanks,

TonyTonguc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 177
Message 2 of 5

Re: What is the max. M.2 NVME SSD capacity support for IdeaPad 330-15ICH (81FK005NTX)

Is there nobody know these answer who uses this laptop?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 163
Message 3 of 5

Re: What is the max. M.2 NVME SSD capacity support for IdeaPad 330-15ICH (81FK005NTX)

First, I have never used or worked on that laptop, BUT I have never seen the kinds of limitations you are asking about.  If a SATA drive will work, a SATA SSD will work.  If a 500GB SATA drive will work, a 10TB 7mm SATA drive will work if one becomes available.  I couldn't find a parts list for that model that showed the M.2 SSD, but if you say a 256GB NVMe drive works, I would expect a 2TB drive will work, except for one factor that I cannot predict without examination.  Some slots will only take single sided M.2 drives due to height restrictions.  If you have such a slot, only single-sided SSDs will work

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TonyTonguc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 149
Message 4 of 5

Hello, thanks for your reply. I used to know computer hardware for more than 20 years. I used several different desktop and laptops also i have never seen such kind of nonsense limitations except since it is not limited by technology. That is the why i hadn't looked for it before i bought this laptop. I checked if it has nvme m.2 pci 3.0 x4  supoort i checked if it support 2280mm versions. That was it. Afterall in Turkish forums and also some youtube videos i have been warned that this device supports max. of 256GB on NVME m.2 slot... I was shocked and decided to search on here if there is any information on it. After some search before posting new thread i saw some thread that some people mentioned about this limitation for similar model laptops on this forum. Here are the link one of these thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/IdeaPad-330s-15ARR-M-2-SSD-what-is-the-m...

It is okay to use after i have red this thread i wanted to ask. Only the way to do some limitation to do it on BIOS but  don't know what would be the reason for it?

TonyTonguc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 131
Message 5 of 5

Recently I found out this video on youtube. Somebody installs Kingston 480 GB nvme to 330-15ICH series notebook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbhoJelR0Q

I think it will recognise larger capacities than 256GB. So what we thought was right.

Thanks for your reply and opinion.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors