cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tropical365
Punch Card
Views: 1,200
Message 1 of 3

Why is the fan running so high on my new Ideapad 720s when laptop not even in use??

[Moderator note: Topic edited for clarity.]

I just got the 4K Lenovo Ideapd 720s about two weeks ago and today has it has been running the fan on high... or at least so high I can hear it quit well and I am not even using it all all (it didn't use to do this at all until today)... I do have external 4K monitor hooked up to it but the laptop is not in use.... so why is fan running so high for past 2 hours now... is this normal? I took screenshot of CPU usage and included it below... I have very bad luck with electronics I just hope this thing isn't defective!? Thanks for any input!! PS: I don't think fan is running at highest... but it's definfiftely running higher than it ever has for such prolonged time especially when the laptop is not even being used!

screenshot.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,192
Message 2 of 3

Re: Why is the fan running so high on my new Ideapad 720s when laptop not even in use??

Hello,

If you have anything configured for automatic updating (especially Windows) or have automatic scanning scheduled (anti-virus?) that may be what is happening.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Tropical365
Punch Card
Views: 1,189
Message 3 of 3

Re: Why is the fan running so high on my new Ideapad 720s when laptop not even in use??

@Bugbatterwrote:

Hello,

If you have anything configured for automatic updating (especially Windows) or have automatic scanning scheduled (anti-virus?) that may be what is happening.

Thanks for your reply. I have free AVG   and I do have automatic windows updates... I shut laptop off for 5 min and then turned it back on and now the fan is quite again... I guess maybe it was doing an update thing because when I rebooted a window popped up showing the below... so I guess my laptop was struggling with that more than likely? Thanks! Smiley Happy

image.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors