Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_123
What's DOS?
Views: 149
Message 1 of 2

Windows 10 Pro no IdeaPad 320

Cortana, the multiple update features, and windows defender, are all slowing my laptop down to a crawl at various time throughout the day.

There seems to be no way to turn any of them off via services. There are options to turn them "off" the normal way, but as many of you know they really don't go off.

Do any know how to stop these annoying services?---->Doubtful

Can I get a Windows 7 OEM from Lenevo?------------> Not according to chat support

Should I just buy my own and install it myself?---------> Plausible

Should I just buy a Mac?-----------------------------> Probably.

Anwyays, Please provide any advice / help / recommendations to fix the problem.

With more and more people going mobile with android devices and apple devices, you would think Windows and Desktop manufacturers would listen more to customers.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 94
Message 2 of 2

Re: Windows 10 Pro no IdeaPad 320

Hi John_123,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

We do not recommend to turn off the Windows update and defender as this features will help secure your laptop from any unwanted malware or virus and keep your system updated. 

Since you're using Windows 10 Pro have you tried disabling Cortana using Group Policy Editor? If not, you may follow the steps below, but we recommend that you create a restore point first before proceeding with the steps. 

- First, launch the group policy editor by pressing Windows + R, typing “gpedit.msc” into the box, and pressing Enter.

- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.

- Locate the “Allow Cortana” setting in the right pane and double-click it.

- Set the Allow Cortana option to “Disabled” and then click “OK”.

- You can now close the group policy editor. You’ll have to sign out and sign back in–or restart your PC–for this change to take effect.

- To re-enable Cortana, return here, double-click the “Enable Cortana” setting, and change it to “Not Configured” or “Enabled”.

Also, kindly check this article on how to improve the performance of your laptop in Windows 10.

Kindly update us how it goes.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors