Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shipsinthenight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 998
Message 1 of 9

Windows 8.1 Ideapad 110 Sound Suddenly Cut off Completely

I've posted this on the eightforums. Perhaps someone here can help me...

I recently received a brand, spanking new Lenovo Ideapad 110 for Christmas. I downgraded it to 8.1 (I don't like 10) and it's been working completely fine for me. I've had literally no issues; whenever I needed to uninstall something, I could, and I would not get any errors...until the other night. Basically, sometimes I have a tendency to watch shows on my laptop and fell asleep. This hasn't been an issue, until I woke up at about 3 the other night and I, half-awake, noticed my laptop had stopped playing sound even though the show I had fallen asleep to was still playing. This was unusual, seeing as I would usually wake up other nights and my show would still be going on, and the audio was fine. The sound came back on within 10 or so minutes, and so I thought it was just a one-off.

Then last night happened, and again, I fell asleep. I woke up at 5 and noticed it did it once more. This time, it didn't come back on for longer than 10 minutes. I would estimate 15 minutes or so. At that point, I'm getting annoyed. While I was about to start searching if this was common with Lenovo, the audio cuts off completely. It cut off at about 5:30 and it's still not back on. I started looking up solutions on the internet. I feel that I've tried everything and none of it's working. It's so weird that this came out of nowhere. I have:

1. Restarted multiple times
2. Uninstalled Realtek High Definition Audio Driver and reinstalled it multiple times
3. Reset my laptop back to Jan. 27th under System Recovery
4. Checked Windows Update to see if anything had been installed and was conflicting; nothing has for the past week or so
5. Checked Programs and Features to see if something new had popped up; again, nothing installed itself for the past week or so
6. Followed all the instructions on the official Lenovo website for audio problems (the instructions listed HERE)

The only difference on that 6th thing is that Realtek doesn't even list itself under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers; I had to uninstall via the Control Panel. Even after reinstalling, Realtek doesn't show up in the Device Manager.

I just don't know what else to do. Every time I did anything, I would restart my laptop in the hopes that would fix it. The oddest thing is that my headphones would work, but now they don't work, either. I can't do anything with sound now, headphones or no. Whenever I play a video on VLC or youtube, the bars fluntucate under Playback Settings, so something is clearly connected, but I don't know what's missing.

Really hoping someone can help me out here!!

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 975
Message 2 of 9

Re: Windows 8.1 Ideapad 110 Sound Suddenly Cut off Completely

HI shipsinthenight,

Is the video card of your laptop Intel HD? If it is would mind trying these steps.
Please make a system restore point before proceeding, just to be sure.

1. In Device Manager, expand “Other Devices” Intel High Definition Audio.
2. Press “View” and then select “Devices by connection”.
3. Expand “ACPI x64-based PC”.
  Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    PCI Express Root Complex
      “Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller”

4. Click on the “Intel (R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST)…” with the right mouse button and select “Uninstall”

5. Tick “Delete the driver software for this device” and press “OK”.
. Shortly, you will see the “Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller” change to “High Definition Audio Controller”. Realtek audio will auto install necessary drivers.

6 . Reboot the computer. Verify in “Device Manager” that the Audio Controller is correct.

This are steps to fix the audio issue caused by a windows update last month. Maybe it would work for your system also. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
shipsinthenight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 959
Message 3 of 9

Hi, jamdy17! Thanks for trying to help. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, though I do have a Intel HD, I could only get halfway through the steps; I got as far as PCI Express Root Complex before I hit a snag, since I see nothing about  "Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller," for some reason...this is what my Device Manager looks like:

Device Manager.png

Device Manager 2.png

High Definition Audio Device is already listed, but nothing with Realtek anywhere, even though I know it's installed because I uninstalled it, then reinstalled earlier before giving up.

Views: 948
Message 4 of 9

Hi,

Please check the hardware ids for the High Definition Audio Device. Check if the you this VEN_10EC. If you see this then this is the Realtek HD audio. You may have to manualy install the driver for this device to make it work. 

Hope to hear from you soon. 

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
shipsinthenight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 942
Message 5 of 9

I don't have that. What it lists is:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_510F&SUBSYS_17AA3802&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_510F&SUBSYS_17AA3802

Not sure what those even mean.

Views: 937
Message 6 of 9

Hi, 

This is a Conexant Audio Card. That's why the Realtek driver did not work. Please go to support.lenovo.com, input your 110's Serial Number then download the Conexant Audio Driver. 

Cheers,

shipsinthenight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 935
Message 7 of 9

Are you serious? Not gonna lie, but I just burst into hysterical laughter, because I can't believe I just spent all this time trying to get Realtek audio to work when I shoulda been concentrating on Conexant. I feel this is a very good metaphor for my life...

In any case, I'll go try that right now and will report back!

shipsinthenight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 926
Message 8 of 9

really wished I was coming back with news that it all worked, but I got my hopes up. Nothing has changed...I uninstalled Realtek to make sure there wouldn't be conflict between the two, and installed the latest Conexant Audio driver (which was, interestingly enough, listed 'Critical' under Severity and was released 1/22/17, so not long ago at all), and restarted. The sound still isn't working for speakers, nor headphones. Conexant Audio also, like Realtek, isn't listing itself anywhere in Device Manager, nor is it even in Programs and Features.

Not sure where to go from here.

shipsinthenight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 860
Message 9 of 9

Back for another update, 'cause I'm still driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.

For some strange reason, the sound cut back on yesterday at about 6 in the morning. I was extremely relieved, but it worked for about 20 minutes, much to my frustration. I wasn't even anywhere near my laptop when it cut back off (which helped me conclude I'm not pressing any weird key combinations or something.) I had been listening to iTunes with the laptop on my desktop while I cleaned the kitchen when my laptop suddenly went silent. I checked, and yup -- music still playing, but no sound.

I seriously am so confused!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors