Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukalek23
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,614
Message 1 of 15

Windows won't boot after BIOS update to E5CN56WW version

Hello, I have problem with BIOS on my Lenovo Ideapad 700-15isk. Namely, I have updated BIOS to E5CN56WW version and after that I can't boot Windows 10. All I get is black screen with boot menu window and options to select from where to boot. But as I select my boot drive nothing happens, just bring me back to the same message (see picture).

Please, if you can tell me where is the problem, what was changed with these BIOS update and how to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Luka

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 11,517
Message 2 of 15

Re: Windows won't boot after BIOS update to E5CN56WW version

Hi lukalek23,  

Please try loading BIOS. Once inside BIOS press FN + F9 and load BIOS defaults. Then  press FN+F10 to save and exit. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
lukalek23
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,506
Message 3 of 15

jamdy17 thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, after this steps I also get only boot menu, nothing is changed... Seems like, Windows can't be boot from my sdd.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 11,488
Message 4 of 15

@lukalek23 wrote:

I have updated BIOS to E5CN56WW version and after that I can't boot Windows 10. All I get is black screen with boot menu window and options to select from where to boot. But as I select my boot drive nothing happens, just bring me back to the same message.

I have just updated the BIOS in my 700-15ISK, and did not have any problems.  I don't know what the problem is with your system, but below I have included the instructions that I wrote when I installed the "52" BIOS, and I followed these again when I installed the "56" BIOS.  Perhaps you can spot where you went wrong.

BIOS Update
===========

(1) Plug the target system into the mains power supply.

(2) With the system powered off, press the "Novo" button.

(3) If asked for a BIOS power-on password, enter the ADMINISTRATOR password.

(4) On "Novo Button Menu", select "BIOS Setup".

(5) On the BIOS "Exit" tab:
(a) Set "OS Optimised Defaults" to "Enable".
(b) Select "Load Default Settings" (press ENTER key twice).
(c) Select "Exit Saving Changes" (press ENTER key twice).
The system reboots.

(6) Download the new BIOS (an EXE file) from the internet, and copy it to the target system.

(7) Invoke the EXE file.

(8) On "Open File - Security Warning", click "Run".

(9) On "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?" (User Account Control), click "Yes".

(10) On "Select the language to use during the installation", select "English" and click "OK".

(11) On "This BIOS is only for...", check that the BIOS is for the target machine and click "Yes".

(12) On "Welcome to the Lenovo BIOS Update Utility Setup Wizard", click "Next".

(13) On "License Agreement", read the licence, select "I accept the agreement", and click "Next".

(14) On "Information", read the information and click "Next".

(15) On "Select Destination Location", accept the default location and click "Next". The default location is:
C:\BIOS\xxxxxxxx
where "xxxxxxxx" is the BIOS version id (example: "e5cn56ww").

(16) On "Ready to Install", click "Install". The update utility is installed. Note: the update utility is NOT the BIOS; the new BIOS has not yet been installed.

(17) On "Completing the Lenovo BIOS Update Utility Setup Wizard", select "Launch Lenovo BIOS Update Utility now" and click "Finish".

(18) If "Launch BIOS Update Utility" was not selected, navigate to the folder containing the new BIOS and invoke "install.bat".

(19) On "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your PC?" (User Account Control), click "Yes".  The BIOS Update Utility starts.

(20) The system restarts in "BIOS update" mode (displays progress in very small text on the screen). When complete, the system appears to power off. but it is still processing. Be patient -- the system eventually restarts and Windows boots. Shut down Windows and power off.

(21) Using the "Novo" button, reset the BIOS to default (see above).

(22) Re-implement BIOS customisation (see separate instructions).

Good luck.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

lukalek23
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,475
Message 5 of 15

CyberSimian thanks for your detailed reply. I believe that I have made mistake in the step 20. Namely, when system power of I pressed turn on/off button. I didn't realise that it still processing, and that is the moment when this issue appear. Still I can reach the bios by Novo button but when I Load Default Settings and Exit Saving Changes on the reboot still I only get boot menu as it was before. Now the problem is that I can't start windows, and OS is installed on SSD but it seems like BIOS doesn't recognize it now.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 11,466
Message 6 of 15

@lukalek23 wrote:

I can reach the bios by Novo button but when I Load Default Settings and Exit Saving Changes on the reboot still I only get boot menu as it was before. Now the problem is that I can't start windows, and OS is installed on SSD but it seems like BIOS doesn't recognize it now.

I don't know what the problem is with your system, so the following is guesswork:

(1) Enter the BIOS and check what version it displays; does it show the new version?

(2) When you first got your 700, did you create the Windows Recovery USB memory stick?  If you did:

(a) Power off the system.

(b) Plug in the Windows Recovery USB memory stick.

(c) Press the "Novo" button.

(d) On the "Novo Button Menu", select "Boot Menu".

(e) The USB memory stick should be listed.  Select the memory stick and boot from it.

(f) Windows should boot from the memory stick.  You can try the "Recover Windows" option, but if that does not work, choose the option to re-install Windows (will take about one hour).  You will lose all of your files on the disk.

(g) If the memory stick is not listed in step (e), power off the system, press "Novo", enter the BIOS, disable "Secure Boot", enable "Legacy Support", enable "Legacy First".  Exit the BIOS saving changes.  Power off. Press "Novo", select "Boot Menu"; memory stick should now be listed.  Select it and boot Windows.

(3) If you did NOT create the Windows Recovery USB memory stick, you will need to download the Windows 10 install image from Microsoft and use that instead.  It should be able to use the Windows licence key embedded in the BIOS (so you don't need to buy another Windows 10 licence).

(4) If the SSD still cannot be seen, your BIOS may have been corrupted, or the SSD may have been damaged:

(a) Try installing Windows on the HDD (if your system has one -- mine has both SSD and HDD).

(b) Try replacing the SSD with a different one.

(c) Send your system to Lenovo to have the BIOS re-installed or the mother board replaced (likely to incur a cost).

lukalek23
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,459
Message 7 of 15

CyberSimian thanks for your answer. I just bought this notebook few days ago so SSD (samsung pm951 which was included) should be good and I do have another HDD and no Recovery usb. The notebook comes with no OS preinstalled. So, this would be steps that lead me to this problem:

1) I have downloaded Win10 from Micrsoft website;

2) Make bootable USB using Rufus;

3) Soon as I bought notebook, I checked BIOS to set boot from USB and installed OS on SSD;

4) The installation was succesfull, and I used it for a couple of days.

5) I checked for drivers on Lenovo support website and download BIOS update e5cn56ww.exe file;

6) Ran it and followed the steps for BIOS update;

7) After the system seems to power off I turned it on (maybe that was the mistake);

8) As system turned on, there was only boot menu and since I'm unable to start OS;

As default I think that Secure Boot was enabled and Boot mode set to UEFI. Now, If I disable Security boot and set to Legacy support boot mode then OS should boot? I'll checked it latter since I'm not with notebook at the moment. So, if this success, should I try to update BIOS again? The bottomline is that since I have SSD and Win10 It would be nice to boot OS in UEFI mode (currently not possible).

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 11,445
Message 8 of 15

You probably need to re-install Windows, using the Rufus USB memory stick that you used previously.  If the install process cannot see the SSD or refuses to install on it, then install Windows on the HDD.

Once you have a working Windows installation on the HDD, you can run diagnostics on the SSD to try to find out what is wrong.  Also, you can re-install the new BIOS, if the previous attempt failed (look on the first tab in the BIOS to see what version is currently installed; it might be the "56" version, or it might be the previous version).  As far as I know, you cannot update the BIOS without a working Windows, as there is no "stand-alone" BIOS updater available.

lukalek23
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,429
Message 9 of 15

Well, the current BIOS is 56, so I changed to Legacy support boot mode and the windows start. Then I tried to reinstall 56 version of BIOS and again I only get boot menu, same as I got before. Still can't boot from UEFI mode... So about reinstalling windows, should I changed in BIOS to Legacy support and then reinstall windows? This time I'll make bootable copy to USB in GPT format to UEFI mode. Then I check what will happen and the next solution would be to install on HDD.

EDIT: Well this went wrong, I tried it but got message that I can't install win on UEFI mode on MBR disk so I quit install. Now I got "Missing operating system" message... Fortunatelly I did manage to run instalation with previous Rufus stick and now I'm waiting to see if the reinstalled windows will help...

EDIT2: Still the same after reinstall on ssd... it just can't boot in UEFI mode. Unfortunatelly I didn't write down what was the original BIOS version, but is there any download for previous versions?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 11,408
Message 10 of 15

Versions of the 700-15ISK that are supplied with Windows 10 pre-installed work in UEFI mode, and have a disk partitioned as GPT.  Mine is like this.

You installed Windows 10 from your Rufus USB memory stick, and I would guess that it installed in legacy MBR mode.  I don't know why it did this (I have never used Rufus), but it may have been for one or more of the following reasons:

(1) The SSD was partitioned by the manufacturer as MBR.

(2) You forgot to select UEFI/GPT mode when you used Rufus, and so Rufus defaulted to legacy MBR mode.

Windows can install in either mode (UEFI with GPT, or legacy with MBR).  If the existing installation has now been corrupted, you will need to do a fresh install, so I would suggest reading the Rufus info to see what it says about installing in UEFI mode with GPT.  You may need to re-create the Rufus memory stick with the correct options specified, or you may be able to use your existing Rufus memory stick if you specify the correct options when you start the install.

However, before starting the install, enter the BIOS and reset the BIOS to default.  This will reset the BIOS to UEFI mode with "Secure Boot" enabled.  I think that it will still boot from the USB memory stick (not sure about that).

When the Windows Recovery USB memory stick boots, it deletes the partition table on the target disk and resets it to GPT, and then proceeds with the install.  If Rufus does not do this, you might need to open a command-line window and use the DISKPART command to set the target disk to GPT before allowing the install to start.  For help with DISKPART, use the command "DISKPART /?" (without the quotes).

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors