Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Megunticook
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 569
Message 1 of 9

booting IdeaPad 330 from USB

I bought an SSD to replace the factory HDD in my IdeaPad 330. Cloned the drive successfully using Samsung's cloning utility and a USB to SATA cable.

But before I open up the laptop and make the swap, I just want to verify that the cloning worked correctly. But no matter how I adjust the BIOS settings, I can't boot from the new SSD via the USB support. 

What's the trick to getting this to work? Or is it possible it's not booting because the cloning procedure didn't work right somehow?

My BIOS settings are shown below. I tried disabling "secure boot" and when that didn't work also  disabling "OS Optimized Defaults" which switches from pure UEFI mode to legacy. I tried disabling "Fast Boot Mode" also. All I get is the "blue screen" shown below.

What am I missing here?

Again, just trying to verify that my SSD will boot properly  before installing it.

Thanks.

bios-2.jpgrecovery.jpg

Admin note: image showing s/n removed.

Megunticook
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 534
Message 2 of 9

Re: booting IdeaPad 330 from USB

After fussing with it more, I'm wondering now if maybe the cloning didn't work right. Now when I plug in the SSD to my USB and restart, I get the blue screen above or one that says "boot device inaccessible." But when I unplug the SSD and restart, it boots up normally with the factory HDD.

That suggests that it's trying to boot from USB first, but fails. 

One thing to note, the new SSD is 500GB but the factory HDD is 1TB. Since the HDD is only about 25% full, there's plenty of room for everything on the SSD. I used Samsung's cloning utility, and it said it completed successfully. When I examine the drive with it, it seems to show the partitions correctly.

samsung_data_migration_screenshot.gifdisk_manager_screenshot.gif

But maybe something isn't right? I could try a different cloning utility perhaps.

Any thoughts?

Megunticook
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 522
Message 3 of 9

As a test I made a bootable USB flash drive using the Windows 10 media creation tool, and was able to boot using that. So I tried recloning the SDD using a different utility (I used Samsung Data Migration the first time, this time I used AOEMI Backerupper). Completed successfully.

Still can't get that SDD to boot. The flash drive works.

What is going on here? Am I looking at a bad SDD? This is the Samsung EVO 360 500GB.

I'm kind of stumped here...any help would be invaluable. Thanks.

Megunticook
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 502
Message 4 of 9

Solved...clone was bad...recloned with Macrium Reflect after making bootable USB drive.
jdh4vols
Paper Tape
Views: 431
Message 5 of 9

Hey, so can you walk me through what you did in order to boot from USB? I need to disable UEFI and boot from Legacy. Do you think you can talk me through it. I have a 330S and Windows 10. Thanks so much
Megunticook
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 427
Message 6 of 9

Are you able to put the USB at the top of the boot priority order?

Also need to disable "fast boot" (don't have the BIOS in front of me but I think that's what it's called--it automatically defaults to the internal HDD for booting).

Try that and see if it works.

jdh4vols
Paper Tape
Views: 408
Message 7 of 9

I think the fast boot is the FTP or something like that. So my issues is that I cannot get the UEFI to disable. I go to exit and then disabled and change to Legacy but it still will not boot to USB. I did not disable the fast boot, do you think if I disable the fast boot and change to Legacy that it will then boot to my USB? Thank you
Megunticook
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 405
Message 8 of 9

Like I said above, you need to disable the fast boot setting in BIOS (or whatever it's called--it's the setting that makes the computer automatically boot to the internal drive--in mine it was on by default). If you post screenshots of your BIOS I can probably point you to it.
jdh4vols
Paper Tape
Views: 402
Message 9 of 9

The problem with mine is that the UEFI is in black and cannot be changed. I need that to be disabled. I can disable the secure boot and PTT and it still stays in UEFI. The only thing I have not tried is to disable secure boot, PTT and go to exit and enable Legacy. When I enabled Legacy and disabled secure boot it still would not boot to the USB. I’m sending 2 pictures of my BIOS. Well I can’t figure how to send pictures. If you can email me I can send them. My email is ******@gmail.com

Moderator note: email address removed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors