Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrPlodski
Paper Tape
Views: 1,389
Message 1 of 5

ideapad 100-15iby - Flickering Screen

My lappy was fine for the first 3 months then I started getting thin muli-coloured lines accross the screen, a bit like Interference. This developed over the last month and when the screen started flickering and the backlight was go-ing on and off, I dicided to seek help from the online support team. I might as well have asked my next door neighbours Parrot.

Because this fault started when the machine was 3 months old and was steadily getting worse. There is no way that I was believing that this was software related. Even when I told the Lenovo clown that it also went off when I tapped the left hand side of the case he still wanted to try and diagnose it remotely for OS / Driver issues. Anyway, I am posting here to help anyone else out with the same problem. I fixed it by:

Removing the 3 screws on the centre of the base (they have a small keyboard image next to them).

Using a very thin bladed knife, lift the top of the keyboard away from the case. After lifting a little with the knife you can get your fingers under it. (It makes a horrible cracking noise as you seperate it. But don't worry, be brave. As long as you have removed those 3 screws, it will come away).

Carefully lift the keyboard up and you will see the ribbon cable conector. It has a hinged flap that holds the cable in place. Lift this up and remove the cable and keyboard.

Just above the keyboard cable connector is a small rectangled hole. If you look in there you will see another plug. It connects the screen to the motherboard.

S-shot_Lenovo_Vid.pnglooking from the screen. That is the touchpad, top let of pic.

In my case I could see that it was not evenly plugged in and was at an angle. I got a small terminal screwdriver and pressed it back in. (carefull not to damage the cable. It didn't click, but seem to go home firmly). Then just put it back together by reversing the process.

There is a sticky pad that holds your keyboard ribbon cable in place. Make sure that you press the cable on to it.

This whole process should not take you longer than it does to read this twice!

The lesson learned here is don't buy Lenovo again. They make good products but their quality control is rubbish. They don't give a toss about you once they've got your money and have not learned (or forgotten) that bad customer care and after sales service drives people to their competitors.

Good luck with that. Smiley Happy

LiveNudeDann
Fanfold Paper
Views: 917
Message 2 of 5

Re: ideapad 100-15iby - Flickering Screen

Thanks a lot for publishing this!

I've had this same problem with my Ideapad 100s, and similarly hit brick walls.  I sometimes don't even get anything on the screens before Windows starts, and nothing when the screen is flickering when I tried plugging in an external monitor (I thought I may be able to use it with another screen, at least.)

I took it to a repair centre today who quoted an AU$230 screen replacement, but since the computer itself only cost $100, I'm going to try your idea.  I need that bravery.

MrPlodski
Paper Tape
Views: 905
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for replying. (480 views and no replies, I was thinking of deleting it Man Sad).

Flickering screen is usualy the cable. Well worth a check first.

If it's a total blank screen it could any number of things.

1. Cable, if your lucky.
  2. Faulty screen, easy to replace on these. Cost around £35-£40 off ebay.
  3. Software (drivers) related.
  4. On-board graphics.... built into Mother Board unfortunately Smiley Sad

Anyway, does your external screen work OK? If it doesn't, then unfortunately, it points to 3 & 4.

Good luck. Here is a video on how to strip it down.

Lenovo IdeaPad 100 15iby Disassembly

LiveNudeDann
Fanfold Paper
Views: 889
Message 4 of 5

You're amazing Plodski.  That video is exactly what I needed and was going to search for.

External HDMI-connected screen works well, as long as the laptop's own screen is not flickering too.  If the laptop's own screen is flickering, the external monitor flickers off with it (or goes to a blank 'no signal' screen.)  That actually made me think that perhaps the issue was a loose connection with the battery for the whole laptop at first, but after the screen has flickered off, I'm still able to do things with the PC (namely, use Alt+F4 repeatedly to shut it down.)

Regardless of the problem, I was surprised that the external screen only worked with the laptop opened, and displaying on its own screen.  I know I've used other models from work where I have connected a projector and USB keyboard/mouse, closed the top down and kept working.

Anyway, I'm really glad you didn't delete the message.  I'm with you on this.  I don't like ranting on public forums like this, but the insistance of Lenovo that software updates could fix issues like this seems almost like denial.

Dann.

LiveNudeDann
Fanfold Paper
Views: 684
Message 5 of 5

Hi again, if you are still looking at these.

A technician looked at my computer and instantly realised that since the HDMI and keyboard also stopped working when the screen was flickering, it was not just the screen that was the problem.

He believes it to be a battery fault, but so far I can't find anywhere that sells the IdeaPad 100s batteries in Australia (and no one from overseas able to send them here.)

Looks like I bought a lemon.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors