Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bubbabong
Paper Tape
Views: 3,184
Message 1 of 2

ideapad 300 - Fresh install of Windows 7 x64 problem

Hi, I have been trying to install a fresh version of windows 7 64 bit on my laptop, but really getting nowhere.

I copied the ISO on a USB flash drive using rufus: NTFS file system.

My Setup configuration:

USB Legacy - Enabled

Boot Mode - Legacy Support

Boot Priority - Legacy First

USB Boot - Enabled

On the Legacy options slightly lower down I see two option, SATA HDD and SATA ODD. I see nowhere to select USB drive as the boot option.

When I enter boot menu my options are as follows: SATA HDD, SATA ODD, Windows boot manager with my SATA HDD name. I dont see a USB option to boot from?

"Secure Boot" is an option mentioned in some forum posts, but I cannot find this option in my setup.

Another thing I read was disabling USB from the boot exclusion list. This is another option I cannot find at all.

The guide from lenovo site here https://support.lenovo.com/za/en/solutions/ht500207 shows a different BIOS menu that I see on my laptop.

I just need a simple fix, why is this so complicated

Mod's Edit: Additional information added to Subject line for clarity of issue.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,143
Message 2 of 2

Re: ideapad 300 - Fresh install of Windows 7 x64 problem

@Bubbabong wrote:

When I enter boot menu my options are as follows: SATA HDD, SATA ODD, Windows boot manager with my SATA HDD name. I dont see a USB option to boot from?

I have installed Windows 7 on my 500-15ISK, but I did that from a Windows 7 DVD, as the 500-15ISK has an internal DVD drive.  If your 300-15ISK has an internal DVD drive, I would strongly recommend that you use it, as the install should then proceed without difficulty.

I think that your problem with the USB memory stick is that you created it using the wrong options in Rufus.  I think  (not sure) that you created the memory stick to boot in UEFI mode, whereas the options that you have set in BIOS are expecting MBR mode.

You could try setting "Boot Mode" in the BIOS to "UEFI".  This will probably cause the "Secure Boot" option to appear (it may be on a different tab in the BIOS, so look at all of them).  You must set "Secure Boot" to "Disabled", because booting from a memory stick is always insecure.  Save the BIOS changes, power off, and then power on using the "Novo" button.  With luck, your memory stick will now appear in the BIOS "Boot Menu", and you can select it to start the installation.

The alternative is to leave your BIOS settings as they are now, but instead re-create the memory stick using the correct options in Rufus (but I have never used Rufus, so cannot advise).

Whichever method you choose, the memory stick will start to boot and then fail.  This is because Windows 7 does not have the drivers necessary to operate the USB2/USB3 sockets on your 300-15ISK.  You need to slip-stream the Intel USB drivers into the install image.  This is not as simple as copying the USB drivers onto the memory stick.  This Intel application can help you perform the slip-streaming:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Some people have used this tool successfully, while others have been unable to get it to work.  I don't know why, but possibly they failed to follow the instructions carefully enough.  Note: if you install using a Windows 7 DVD, this slip-streaming is not needed.

Finally, if you really  want a simple fix, the answer is to take your system to your local computer service shop and pay them to install Windows 7 for you.  But agree beforehand to pay by results -- if they can't install Windows 7 successfully, you pay them nothing.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors