Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobob321225
Not applicable
Views: 5,772
Message 11 of 40

Re: ideapad 310-15ABR - Auto-Restarting Randomly

My wife uses this laptop everyday and has been having issues every few days for a couple of months now. I used the system recovery and still had the issues. I even reformatted and loaded windows 10 from a disk, thinking it was one of the Lenovo utilties that might be causing the issue, but it still happened. Hardware scans all come back negative. I've run out of ideas. Has anyone found a solution to this?

oa11
Not applicable
Views: 5,740
Message 12 of 40

Update: I haven't manually installed any drivers in the clean reinstall I have done earlier but there was no update showing in Lenovo Vantage or the Lenovo Update tool in the Control Panel, so I was using it as is but looks like it was a mistake.

After my previous post, seeing others have tried resinstalling drivers, did that myself. My PC is restart-free for about 3 days now. I need to monitor for a week at least to be able to say it is okay but just wanted people in this thread to know.

My suggestion to those having this issue is to reinstall their display drivers. I am currently using Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1 (Release date 12/12/2017) - driver version 23.20.15002.11 - which is workin totally fine so far.

One sidenote: I noticed that you can actually set your display resolution upto 2560x1440 in this device which I found pretty nice. I use it in the recommended 1920x1080 normally but it is nice to have it when you want to see more in the screen (like when you want to open windows side-by-side and compare something etc.)

SAngiE
Not applicable
Views: 5,738
Message 13 of 40

Thanks for the tip!

I went 4-5 days without a glitch (without a restart at least), and then today it restarted again.

I found FMAPP.exe in my startup. Disabled it. Maybe it's that. I honestly don't know what more to do anymore. 

Does Lenovo tech support even look at our questions? This is really awful on their part.

wwrk
Not applicable
Views: 5,712
Message 14 of 40

It really is awful on Lenovo's part. I actually called to ask if I could get a replacement, and I was told to send in my laptop so that they could check it out, then determine themselves if I can get a replacement. They said that I would only be given a replacement if they couldn't fix the problem. I was told the whole process would take at least a week, so I'm assuming it would actually take two weeks. Either that or they told me to pay $40 to "upgrade" my warranty, for them to send a technician to my house, which even then they said they can't guarantee a replacement. Customer support/warranty = 1 out of 5 stars. Thank you Lenovo, I hope to never have to deal with your company again.

SVPARRAS
Not applicable
Views: 5,387
Message 15 of 40

Hello, 

I am having this exact same issue with this exact same model computer. i bought it new from a local vendor just 3 months ago. i will be following this thread and hopefully find a resolution. preferably before i decide on purchasing another not-a-lenovo laptop. 

bobob321225
Not applicable
Views: 5,381
Message 16 of 40

My wife was using this laptop and it was restarting all the time. I tried everything I could think of including recovery and installing from scratch. But the problem kept recurring. Finally I bought my wife a new (different) laptop, and I took this one for myself. After the warranty ran out, I decided to do something different. I reinstalled windows 10 from scratch, but this time I deleted ALL of the partitions on the hard drive and let the windows setup program create my new partitions. I have not had an issue with this since. I use it almost every night, 2 - 3 hours each time, and it has not restarted since. It's been about a month now and it's issue free. I'm not sure why what I did fixed the problem, but it did (or so it seems). 

CyberSimian
Not applicable
Views: 5,363
Message 17 of 40

@bobob321225wrote:

I reinstalled windows 10 from scratch, but this time I deleted ALL of the partitions on the hard drive and let the windows setup program create my new partitions.

I don't have a 310-15ABR, but I am curious as to which version of Windows 10 you installed:

(1) The Lenovo pre-load version (includes all Lenovo drivers and applications).  If so, which version of Windows is it: 1607, 1703, 1709, ...?

(2) A version downloaded from Microsoft (excludes all Lenovo drivers and applications).  If so, which version of Windows is it: 1607, 1703, 1709, ...?

Thank you.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

bobob321225
Not applicable
Views: 5,356
Message 18 of 40

I downloaded the latest version of Windows 10 from the Microsoft Website and installed. It was version 1709 of the Home Edition. I did not reload the Lenovo drivers. I used the ones that came with Windows. They are working fine for me. 

As I mentioned earlier, I tried this once before and the problem recurred. The difference this time was that I deleted all of the Lenovo partitions from the hard drive and let Windows create what it needed. If you want to try this, you should back up your partitions in case you want to restore them. I use Macrium Reflect free version. It works great. Or better yet, swap out the hard drive so you can go back to the original later.

bobob321225
Not applicable
Views: 5,351
Message 19 of 40

Here's something interesting: Go into "System Properties" - "Advanced" - "Startup and Recovery" and uncheck "Automatically Restart". I haven't tried this myself, but I'm thinking it should give you an error message instead of just restarting. Hopefully giving you a clue as to the problem.

Joborule
Not applicable
Views: 5,274
Message 20 of 40

So an update.

Over a month ago, I tried a suggestion I came across to disable Windows fast start which is located in your power button settings. According to the person who recommended it, with the AMD architecture, that feature has caused conflicts with it.

Go Power Options via right clicking on battery status icon, or control panel > "Choose what the power buttons do" on left menu > Under "Shutdown settings", disable Turn on fast startup

Aside from one random shutdown a few days after doing that, I haven't had it occur for a few weeks. So I don't know if an update was an applied that fixed the issue, or that workaround was the result.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors