Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jay_uk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 392
Message 1 of 11

ideapad 330s-15AAR - Issue Accessing BIOS and Boot Order - Cant boot from USB

The only way that I can boot into the BIOS is to log into windows then hold Shift while selecting restart, then select advanced options and then boot into UFEI.  F2 button on boot up does not work.  The Novo button lets me select boot in to BIOS but it then just boots to windows.  The same goes for trying to change boot options.  Select from the novo button but it just boots to windows.  F12 does not work. This means that I cannot boot from USB devices.

I am on Windows version  1903 but I have noticed that the bios version is 7WCN37WW but the lenovo support page shows the latest version as 7WCN36WW.   I am not sure if Windows updated the BIOS with feature release 1903 and if this has caused the boot problems.

Has anybody else had this issue.  Any advice to get boot order to work. 

Annotation 2019-08-12 223250.png

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 362
Message 2 of 11

Re: ideapad 330s-15AAR - Issue Accessing BIOS and Boot Order - Cant boot from USB

A relative owns a 6 week old 330s-15ARR that shipped with win10 v1803 and BIOS 7WCN30WW, I know it boots fine from USB as I use TrueImage Rescue Media to back up the laptop.   Version of Windows would not affect USB booting.   

Have you tried pressing Fn-F2 and Fn-F12 on the 330s for those functions to work ?

fwiw, Lenovo Vantage software kept nagging them about installing new firmware (7WCN36WW at the time).  Given how risky firmware updates can be, we uninstalled the Vantage software, although I later learned you can change a setting within Vantage to stop it nagging and downloading Lenovo updates..

I don't recall seeing 7WCN37WW ever appearing through most of July on Lenovo website.. I haven't checked this month though.

Download link for the release notes for 7WCN37WW does not work.  It may suggest Lenovo has totally withdrawn it due to problems.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/7wcn37ww.txt

jay_uk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 345
Message 3 of 11

Re: ideapad 330s-15AAR - Issue Accessing BIOS and Boot Order - Cant boot from USB

@Bill115 wrote:

Version of Windows would not affect USB booting.

The reason I asked about the windows version is that it updated from 1803 to 1903 and I wondered if in the process it had updated the BIOS.  I have seen that, at least on Dell machines, BIOS updates have been pushed thorough windows update.

Dell BIOS update

@Bill115 wrote:

Have you tried pressing Fn-F2 and Fn-F12 on the 330s for those functions to work ?

No pressing F2 or F12 with or without the Fn does not work.  Just boots straight into windows.

Should i think about installing 7WCN36WW, would it be more difficult to downgrade or should I wait to until a newer version comes along and install that? 

The main concern that I have is that if anything goes wrong with windows (we all know what their updates do sometimes), I will have problems booting to recovery system images that I have.

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 341
Message 4 of 11

I checked the Microsoft Catalog and you are indeed correct, some manufacturers such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, Huawei (not Toshiba though), are using Windows Update to roll out firmware updates.  It may be to address microcode changes required to fix security vulnerabilities mainly with Intel processors reported in recent years.

Lenovo does seem to have a quality control issue with their firmware updates. 

Clearing the CMOS settings may or may not fix your problem but that usually involves opening up the computer and disconnecting both the main lithium battery and CMOS coin battery. (Some computers like Dells have a Service and/or CMOS Reset jumpers)  Lenovo's advice may be to wait for next firmware update if it is an acknowledged problem as they probably don't want inexperienced customers dismantling the product.

Downgrading to an older version carries a risk it could brick your computer and you will have to return it to them for warranty repair.  Lenovo may know whether or not it is safe to do so.

My only suggestion is contact Lenovo and see what they have to say about the 37WW firmware assuming they have knowledge of it.

(I don't work for Lenovo)

nokiaozo
Paper Tape
Views: 322
Message 5 of 11

Same issue here 7WCN37WW force update via Windows Update, can access the boot order via fn+f12 but keep skip to windows, can't boot to linux live usb. Plus BIOS error can't save anything (same error in the previous version that also posted in this forum)

devtheone
Paper Tape
Views: 312
Message 6 of 11

Same issue here! i cant save anything my bios! Smiley Sad 

I think we need the cmos reset but if i do i have risky on warranty!

Did you know anybody , any chance for some update in the short future ?

jay_uk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 299
Message 7 of 11

I'm glad (in the nicest possible way of course) that I not the only one with these problems. 

I don't get the error messages when saving BIOS settings but come to think of it, I don't think they are being saved as when I reenter the BIOS, boot order preferences are not remembered.

Does anybody know how this got installed? Was it by way of a Windows update?

What's the best way to contact Lonovo that will get answered/a reply? I think we all should and point them to this forum post.

nokiaozo
Paper Tape
Views: 294
Message 8 of 11

Annotation 2019-08-13 212807.png

the update installed from windows update, and it force install when plugged in with charger

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 287
Message 9 of 11

Found the Microsoft Catalog entry.  

4lenovo1.jpg

4lenovo2.jpg

Looks like if you have Win10 v1809 or later, may get this firmware update. 

The frightening thought is the .CAB package doesn't contain any bios flashing firmware tools. It appears Windows 10 Update itself may have its own built-in mechanism to update firmware!

There is a long thread on subject if you google 'tenforums uefi bios update'

May be able to block it (all drivers) from being installed as follows:

System-> Advanced Settings> Hardware tab -> Device Installation Settings -> NO

Perhaps Microsoft should be notified to advise them to stop rolling out this firmware?

Normally you can uninstall a Windows driver and give a reason when prompted for reverting to older version, to indirectly notify them of a problem.

Highlighted
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 231
Message 10 of 11

@jay_uk wrote:

I don't think they are being saved as when I re-enter the BIOS, boot order preferences are not remembered.

Different Lenovo models use BIOS supplied by different BIOS manufacturers. As a result, Lenovo models do not behave consistently in all respects. Example:

700-15ISK: with the system powered off, I can plug in a USB memory stick, power-on the system and enter the BIOS, re-order the boot devices so that the USB memory stick is first, then save the changes and exit.  On the next power on, it will boot from a USB memory stick if one is plugged in and it is bootable.

500-15ISK: if I perform the same sequence of actions, the re-ordered boot sequence is not remembered for external devices (e.g. USB memory stick or USB DVD drive), so I cannot use that method to boot an external device such as the Windows installer or a live Linux distribution (the system always boots from the internal HDD or SSD).

The 700-15ISK and 500-15ISK use BIOSes from different BIOS manufacturers.

The way to boot from an external device on a laptop that behaves like the 500-15ISK is to plug in the USB device with the system powered off, then use the "Novo" button to power-on the system and display the "Novo Button Menu". On this menu select "Boot Menu", and on the "Boot Menu" the bootable devices will be listed. Select the USB device and press ENTER/RETURN to start booting.  Refer to the "User Guide" or "Hardware Maintenance Manual" for your system to determine where the "Novo" button is located (it is hidden beneath the casing).

If the USB device is not listed on the "Boot Menu", it is because it is not bootable in the current circumstances. This either means that you created the boot image wrongly, or the current BIOS settings disallow booting from that particular boot image. Example: your system is working in UEFI mode with "Secure Boot" enabled, and the USB device was created to boot only in legacy mode (i.e. it cannot work in UEFI mode).

Some boot images can boot in either mode, in which case the USB device will be listed twice on the "Boot Menu".  One entry in the list will have "EFI" in the name (this boots in UEFI mode), and the other entry will not (this boots in legacy mode). The Windows installer is like this, but other install images may boot only in one mode.

You could try changing "Secure Boot" to disabled, and seeing if your system will then boot from the memory stick/DVD. If it does not, you probably need to recreate the USB boot device, paying particular attention to the mode in which the boot image works (UEFI or legacy).

My choice was to re-install Windows to work in legacy mode on my 700-15ISK and 500-15ISK.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors