Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johniskander
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,252
Message 1 of 4

ideapad 500 card reader not working !

Hello Everybody ,

I would really need your help to figure this out !

yesterday, I used my card reader in my laptop ( ideapad 500-15ISK ) and I entered and SD-HC 4GB card on it , and copied some files. Then after it , I had a Memory stick Duo like this one : 

Memory_Stick_Duo1

of course it was smaller than the slot, I thought I might try nevertheless ! ( I hope that this wasn't a bad idea and I burned my card reader !!! ) 

of course , it didn't work ! so I just removed and forgot about it !

today, I was trying again to put the SD-HC 4GB card,  and it didn't work, and I tried another one , it didn't work.
I tried installing all the drivers in the support.lenovo.com that has to do with my laptop, still didn't work. 

Anybody knows what could have happened ? 

What should I do ? 

did I damage my card reader ? 

My laptop is relatively new, it has been only 4 months since I bought. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,229
Message 2 of 4

Re: ideapad 500 card reader not working !

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Try doing a soft reset of the CMOS to see if that will clear the problem.  Just do this....

1. Shut down Windows and unplug the charger / adapter.
2. Press and hold the Power Button for 15 seconds.
3. Plug in the charger / adapter if needed and power up the system to see if the problem was resolved.

If the problem remains, does the card reader appear in Windows Device Manager?  If so, right click on it and choose uninstall from the menu and reboot your computer.  During the reboot Windows will reinstall the card reader which should correct any configurations problems.

If the card reader still does not work then shine a flashlight into the card reader slot.  Make sure you can clearly see the copper contacts inside and that they are aligned with each other.  This will help rule out an obstruction inside or bent contact pins.

When you look at the Memory Stick Duo, are the contacts large enough where they may have touched two of the card reader's contacts at the same time.  If so, you may have shorted out the card reader causing it to fail. If the card reader fails to appear in Windows Device Manager, this maybe a reason why. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

johniskander
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,220
Message 3 of 4

Hello Majestic, 

Thanks for answering me back. 

I tried the soft reset but it didn't work (Unfortunately). 

I have checked the device manager, and I think I see the card reader ( under the USB-cotroller ) 

DeviceManager_CardReader.jpg

And I tried to look inside , it looks clean !

any other ideas ?

Thanks again for your anser and support ,

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,210
Message 4 of 4

Yes, that would be the card reader. Did you try uninstalling the card reader in Windows Device Manager yet?

I assume if you put a card in the card reader that it isn't seen in Windows File Explorer?

As for the drivers, if their install listed in Windows Control Panel's Uninstall a Program then try uninstalling, reboot the computer and do a fresh driver install.

If none of the above works then I would suggest you contact Lenovo Support for additional warranty assistance.

Lenovo Support - Germany

German
01-805-366-869 (0,14 €/Min aus dem deutschen Festnetz. Max 0,42€ /Min aus dem Mobilfunk)
7:00-20:00 Uhr Montag – Freitag, 10:00 – 18:00 Samstag und Sonntag

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors