Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gouzos
Punch Card
Views: 2,005
Message 71 of 395

Re: ideapad 700 15ISK - Keyboard missing keystrokes

It was not. The new BIOS did nothing.

At least we finally got some aknowledgement from a Lenovo employee...

wdua
Paper Tape
Views: 1,932
Message 72 of 395

@Patrice_Lenovo wrote:

Lenovo is investigating customer reports of the Ideapad 700 – 15ISK missing keystrokes. The issue is that customers report these systems are missing typed letters on occasion or intermittently.

For customers experiencing this issue, try downloading the latest BIOS, version: E5CN58WW. This has worked for other customers so please try it to see if it works for you. Please note that the latest BIOS may not be available via automatic update yet.

I’d like to hear if this was successful.

How would one go about updating the BIOS on a system without Windows? I was hoping to find bootable update software I can launch from a USB stick, or at least a raw BIOS image I can try and flash from Linux, or maybe something I can execute from FreeDOS. All I see is a Windows executable.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,927
Message 73 of 395

@wdua wrote:

How would one go about updating the BIOS on a system without Windows? I was hoping to find bootable update software I can launch from a USB stick, or at least a raw BIOS image I can try and flash from Linux, or maybe something I can execute from FreeDOS. All I see is a Windows executable.

I agree 100% that a stand-alone BIOS updater should be provided by Lenovo.  I run my system using MBR partition tables, which also prevent the current BIOS Updater working.  However, if you are really  motivated to update to the latest BIOS, you could do the following:

(1) Image all of your partitions to an external USB disk.

(2) Download from Microsoft an installation ISO of Windows 10.

(3) Create a bootable USB drive from the ISO.

(4) Install Windows 10 (this will destroy all of your existing partitions).

(5) Update the BIOS.

(6) Restore your partition images.

This should work, even if you don't have a valid Windows 10 licence.  Note: this is not a way of getting a free Windows 10, as the installation will deactivate itself if you don't activate it with a valid licence within a fixed period of time (one month, I think).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

AMZMA
Punch Card
Views: 1,883
Message 74 of 395

As a new user of 700 15ISK (not facing it now though), this problem scared me to death.

I have experienced irresponsive touchpad and false alert low battery. And to know this is hardware problem makes me feel more hopeless with this laptop. And I bought this from other island.

I am very very dead.

wdua
Paper Tape
Views: 1,888
Message 75 of 395

Actually, as far as I remember, the Windows 10 installer allows you to select a partition you want to install the OS to - it's just the option to do that can be easily missed, maybe. So for any *NIX users out there who might want to try this: you could probably avoid making partition backups and simply shrink one of your current partitions so that there's enough unallocated space, install Windows 10 to said unallocated space, update the BIOS, and then revert the above changes to the disk layout and change the boot order of your UEFI firmware back to what it used to be - the bootloader for your old OS should still be there. (In case of trouble, refer to your distro's wiki for info on restoring the bootloader.)

It's reasonably safe to do, though a backup of important data before the procedure is always a good idea.

As for me, I might try the above when I have more time and am back in my home country. Good suggestion. But for now, I'm going to hope Lenovo provides a less time-consuming way of updating BIOS.
AMZMA
Punch Card
Views: 1,883
Message 76 of 395

where is my comment before?

too add more salt for my previous comment, my external harddisk keeps unload if I plugged it on 3.0 usb slots. Battery issue? Grounding issue? IDK

Man, this Lenovo series such a failure.

1/10, would not buy any product from this brand anymore.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,862
Message 77 of 395

@AMZMA wrote:

my external harddisk keeps unload if I plugged it on 3.0 usb slots.

Most mechanical USB hard disks consume more power than can be provided by a USB socket.  That is why those disks are supplied with separate electric mains adapters.  Try powering your external disk from the electric mains adapter to see if that solves your problem.

Some external disks are designed to be powered from the USB socket, and those disks are supplied with two USB cables, and both have to be connected.  One cable carries the data signals and supplies half of the power required, while the other cable provides the other half of the power required.  If you have one of those disks, make sure that you have connected both cables.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

AMZMA
Punch Card
Views: 1,787
Message 78 of 395

thanks for your info, CYberSimian.

Thankfully, my ext.hdd works finely on USB 2.0 slot.
I hope my mouse won't get broken due power (voltage ?) failure, since there is no hope with touchpad.
Hunterspark
Paper Tape
Views: 1,724
Message 79 of 395

11/4/17 - UPDATE:

Returned for repair, tbh not expecting any joy as was convinced a s/w issue - however I've had it back over a week now and no keboard freeze, bounce or any other issues, and it's updated to the latest Win10 Anniversary and Lenovo drivers/BIOS...

Repair docket said "battery charging circuit fault" - I had noticed that battery life had dropped significantly since new (3 months) and occasionaly battery meter showed "low charge" warning then returned to correct charge.

Who knew!

Hunterspark
Paper Tape
Views: 1,716
Message 80 of 395

I suggest you return for repair - I had the same symptoms with mine, returned it and was diagnosed with a faulty battery charging circuit and fixed. Since return I have had no issues!

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors