cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noob_bob
Paper Tape
Views: 688
Message 1 of 7

ideapad 700 17ISK: win10 preinstalled - messed up partitions - cant boot windows

Hi there,

I am not really new to all this but rather stuck on a knowledge level 10 years past ;-))

I bought an ideapad 700 17ISK (used) that came with Windows 10 preinstalled.

Since for the last decade and more I've been using Ubuntu, I wanted to stick with that and deceided to check wether it runs ok on the new notebook.

I ran a Live-system and was quite pleased and decided to install it alongside the Windows installtion since I was curious and wanted to test that as well.

I saw that the main partition sda5 was empty and used that one for installation and split it for data and swap.

After installation I could not boot into my fresh ubuntu installation, neither acces the Windows 10 installation.

Beforehand it always started with a message that some things had to be configured, now I get an error page saying my PC needs repair and that \Windows\system32\winload.efi was not found

And error code 0xc0000225

I tried several things like downloading Windows 10 images, running them from USB drive and running automated repair, trying different things from command prompt etc...

Nothing helped, I think I'll need to reinstall Windows to get this going again Smiley Sad

But before buying the hilariously overpriced System Recovery media (Why doesn't Lenovo offer a .iso download for a reasonable price, that would save some money and get instant recovery!!) I'd like to know if I can not just install the .iso version of Windows 10 I downloaded from Microsoft?

Will that give me a functioning Windows installation?

Can I get back to factory settings with this installation in case I will give back or sell the notebook?

Would appreciate any help here...

Cheers,

Bob

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 636
Message 2 of 7

Re: ideapad 700 17ISK: win10 preinstalled - messed up partitions - cant boot windows

@noob_bob wrote:

I'd like to know if I can not just install the .iso version of Windows 10 I downloaded from Microsoft?  Will that give me a functioning Windows installation?  Can I get back to factory settings with this installation in case I will give back or sell the notebook?

Using the Microsoft installation image should work on your system (although I have never tried that myself).  The Windows activation code is embedded in the BIOS, so Windows should activate automatically when you first connect to the internet.  However...

The system will not contain any of the applications that are included in the pre-installed system.  Some people consider this to be an advantage!  Lenovo's own applications can be downloaded from the Lenovo web site if you want to install them manually.  There are one or two applications that are included in the pre-installed system but which are not Lenovo applications, and hence cannot be downloaded from the Lenovo web site.  If you wanted these, you would have to buy them from the relevant application vendors.  Cyberlink Power2Go is one such application, I think; there may be others.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

noob_bob
Paper Tape
Views: 634
Message 3 of 7

Re: ideapad 700 17ISK: win10 preinstalled - messed up partitions - cant boot windows

Hi CyberSimian,

thanks for the reply, I will hence try a "clean" install from the image I downloaded from Microsoft.

I'll report wether it worked out well or not.

Considering the extra applications... I think that I'll be fine with the downloads on the Lenovo site.

What about the "factory setting"? (might be  adifferent topic?)

How can I go back to that?

Cheers,

Bob

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 620
Message 4 of 7

@noob_bob wrote:

What about the "factory setting"? (might be  adifferent topic?)  How can I go back to that?

You can't.  The "factory setting" includes the Lenovo applications pre-installed in the Windows install image, which you no longer have.

When you want to sell the laptop, you could do a fresh install of Windows using the install image that you downloaded from Microsoft (note: not a "Windows repair").  That will restore the system to the state where the next owner can setup the system as he/she wants.

noob_bob
Paper Tape
Views: 609
Message 5 of 7

I succeesfully installed Windows 10 and Linux (I went for Xubuntu) side by side Smiley Happy

When you do it right, it really is very easy... should have read a bit before passing to action!

Only thing not working (as far as I noticed) is the backlight brightness not repsonding to the hotkeys. Neither Windows nor Linux. While this seems to be a quite frequent issue with Linux, I thought that Windows might support this natively.

Maybe some drivers missing?

As for the factory settings, I guess I'll have to get the original Lenovo System recovery media for this then?

Is there really no download version available?

Cheers,

Bob

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 602
Message 6 of 7

@noob_bob wrote:

Only thing not working (as far as I noticed) is the backlight brightness not repsonding to the hotkeys. Neither Windows nor Linux. While this seems to be a quite frequent issue with Linux, I thought that Windows might support this natively.

Maybe some drivers missing?

As for the factory settings, I guess I'll have to get the original Lenovo System recovery media for this then?

Is there really no download version available?

You probably do need some additional drivers to enable hot-key control of screen brightness, but I don't know which ones.  If you go to the "Support" section of this web site and enter your laptop's model number or serial number, you should be offered a list of Lenovo applications and drivers for your system.  Look to see if one of those might contain the hot-key driver.  I would start with "Lenovo Settings", but there might be some others that you should download and install.

If you want to reset to factory settings, then I think that you do need to purchase replacement install media from Lenovo.  As far as I know, the install media cannot be downloaded from the internet.

noob_bob
Paper Tape
Views: 599
Message 7 of 7

Thank you very much for all your help!

Very much appreciated Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Bob

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors