Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h5djr
What's DOS?
Views: 1,965
Message 1 of 4

lenovo 710S - Downgrade to Windows 7?

This laptop comes with Windows 10 Home pre-installed.  Is it possible to install Windows 7 in it's place.

Mod's Edit: Additional information added to Subject line for clarity of issue.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,952
Message 2 of 4

Re: lenovo 710S

@h5djr wrote:

This laptop comes with Windows 10 Home pre-installed.  Is it possible to install Windows 7 in it's place.

Go to the bottom of this page, click "Downloads", enter your model number, and then look to see if you are offered a choice of operating system:  Windows 10 or Windows 7.

When I did this for my Ideapad 700-15ISK, I was offered this choice, and was able to download drivers and software for 64-bit Windows 7 (and I have since installed Windows 7 on my 700).

If you are not offered the choice of Windows 7, it means that Lenovo is not making available any drivers for your laptop for Windows 7.  You might be able to download the needed drivers from the device manufacturers (e.g. Intel, Nvidia, etc.), but you would have to find them for yourself.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

h5djr
What's DOS?
Views: 1,930
Message 3 of 4

Unfortuately it only lists Windows 10 (64bit).

Perhaps I will have to update the SSD to 512 and try a dual-boot first.  That is what I have on my current Sony laptop.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,910
Message 4 of 4

@h5djr wrote:

Unfortuately it only lists Windows 10 (64bit).

Perhaps I will have to update the SSD to 512 and try a dual-boot first.  That is what I have on my current Sony laptop.

I have my 700-15ISK setup as dual boot, using the "Bootit Bare Metal" boot manager (not freeware).

Installing Windows 7 can be quite a challenge, because the USB sockets won't work with the Windows 7 installation medium (no suitable drivers on the DVD or USB memory stick).  You need to create a customised installation medium that has the necessary drivers "slipstreamed" into the install.  This utility from Intel can help with that:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

When the install from the DVD/memory stick is complete, you are likely to find that there are numerous devices that are shown in Windows "Device Manager" as not working.  For my 700-15ISK, I needed 14 separate driver packages, plus 2 software packages, in order to get everything working.  Your 710 may have some devices that are different from my 700, but 14+2 packages gives you an idea of the magnitude of the work needed after the install to get everything working.  You would have to source these drivers from the original equipment manufacturers (Intel, Nvidia, etc), assuming that they are even available for your 710.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Top Kudoed Authors