Did you mean: 
CBHedricks
Not applicable
Views: 10,070
Message 21 of 30

Re: lenovo ideapad 320 keyboard completely stopped working

Good luck!

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
mhinkle
Not applicable
Views: 10,060
Message 22 of 30

Hey CB , the USB keyboard is working but I don't recall what to do next. I do not have a restore point to restore from unfortunately
mhinkle
Not applicable
Views: 10,053
Message 23 of 30

Hi, just an update on this.

Firstly let me thank everyone for their advice and help!

Secondly, to ensure the problem is understood, I could not use the keyboard to type or use any keys except some would work for 1 or 2 times randomly; the same key would not work twice and not all keys would work at all. They had been working previously with no issues. I purchased this laptop in March 2018 and it quit working in July. The mouse would work but only enough to get me to the login box or to restart or shut down. Since I couldn't type to get logged in, I couldn't use the mouse more than that so I couldn't get to the on-screen keyboard (if one exists).

Last night I finally got time to try some things. I hooked up a USB keyboard (Thanks CB) and it worked fine. I looked at several fixes on sites and youtube and tried updating drivers, updating the Lenovo utilities, updating Windows and even played with the registry for the keyboard but none of those attempts worked to restore the keyboard. The post earlier that said he "left it for a week" had not helped me either.

I finally downloaded and installed a new version of BIOS which solved the problem after rebooting!

Matt.

CBHedricks
Not applicable
Views: 10,047
Message 24 of 30

That was the next idea, quite frankly it was good to hear the keyboard (usb) worked, as that narrowed it down to the actual in place keyboard or keyboard controller.  Good to hear it is back in working order.  Now lets cover some things to do going forward -

• Make your recovery disks ASAP
  • Set up and use a back up schedule
    • Near - on the same hard disk drive in your computer
    • Close - USB Jump Drive, Removable Hard Disk
    • Far - Cloud source, Archival Grade DVD disks
  • The more important the files the more frequent the back up

This should help protect you from data loss, and also make sure you can restore your computer to a factory state even if the hard disk fails to read.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
tantohera
Not applicable
Views: 9,920
Message 25 of 30

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

SHADOW_1
Not applicable
Views: 7,607
Message 26 of 30

Re: lenovo ideapad 320 keyboard completely stopped working ON WINDOWS APPS (WINDOWS 10 PRO)

MY KEYBOARD STOPPED WORKING WHEN I OPENED THE ASPHALT 9 LEGENDS WHEN THE RACE STARTS THEN I PRESS THE A,S,D, SPACE KEY THEY DIDNT WORK AT ALL AND WHEN IN TRIED TO WRITE IN CORTANA AND EDGE BROWSER THERE ALSO IT DIDNT WORK SO PLZZZ FIX THIS PROBLEM AS FAST AS POSSIBLE OK .

CBHedricks
Not applicable
Views: 7,584
Message 27 of 30

Re: lenovo ideapad 320 keyboard completely stopped working ON WINDOWS APPS (WINDOWS 10 PRO)

It looks like your cap's lock key is also stuck... Normally all caps is considered to be shouting, so may want to unstick the caps key before responding.

If the keyboard works prior to the game launching, then does not after the game runs, it is an issue with the game and its drivers messing up the keyboard, not the keyboard messing up the game.

Check the system requirements for the game, contact the game manufacture to tell them what it does to your system.

Also - as stated above, either refresh the windows OS or restore to a known good point and see if the issue continues.

CB

Xandad
Not applicable
Views: 6,471
Message 28 of 30

I tried reinstalling and updating the BIOS but it didn't help.

How I fixed it was to go into:

Device Manager>Keyboards>

Click on ELAN file 

I then rolled back the driver to Standard PS/2 Keyboard. 

Works fine now, but it's been very frustrating

Rosaley
Not applicable
Views: 6,108
Message 29 of 30

Hello!

I have the same problem right now. Will these steps affect my files and apps installed? Please let me know voz im afraid to lose everything. Thanks

Highlighted
MPSIS
Not applicable
Views: 1,808
Message 30 of 30

I had to do the same thing.  But other threads say that driver will come back even if you pick

no driver updates.  It's been 2 weeks since I rolled it back, and is still working correctly.

Crossing my fingers it doesn't update the driver automatically again.  

That is what caused the issue in the first place...lol

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors