Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KakarotJr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 853
Message 1 of 5

lenovo ideapad 510-15isk ram upgrade not registering

I have upgraded my lenovo ideapad 510-15isk from 8gb ram to 12gb ram and the laptop origanaly said installed memory (RAM) 12.00 GB (11.9 GB usable) now after 4 days it says installed memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable)  how can I fix this I have tryed reseting the laptop and reinserting the new 8gb ram stick and swaping back to the origanal 4gb ram stick but nothing has worked and also cpu-z recognises the 8GB ram stick But I just cant use it.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 821
Message 2 of 5

Re: lenovo ideapad 510-15isk ram upgrade not registering

I presume that you are indeed running a 64-bit version of Windows, since you had 8GB to begin with, so the 4GB limit of a 32-bit OS should not be an issue.

If you enter Setup/BIOS, is the full amount of RAM recognized?    If so, save and exit setup and see if Windows will now see the full amount of RAM.     Try the same with your original 2x4GB configuration too.  

If it is recognized by the BIOS correctly, then it is somehow being limited by the OS.

This is a long shot, but it is worth checking.    

• Right-click Start >> Run >> msconfig.exe
  • Select the Boot tab, and then click on Advanced Options
  • Check the Maximum Memory box and if it displays the full 12GB, select OK
  • See if Windows now reports the correct memory.
  • Repeat the steps above, but now uncheck the Maximum Memory box and select OK

Good Luck, 

KakarotJr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 790
Message 3 of 5

I have checked in the bios with both the 8gb stick of ram and the 4gb stick of ram neither are showing up in the bios what do I do now?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 785
Message 4 of 5

If it is not being recognized in the BIOS, that rules out a Windows issue, so it must be a problem with the SODIMM slot itself, or the RAM since even the original 4GB is not being recognized.

Short of their being something wrong with the SODIMM slot that is preventing the RAM from being seating correctly, and thus is preventing it from being recognized, the only thing I could suggest is noting the current settings in the BIOS (e.g. the Security and Boot sections etc.), and then resetting the BIOS to its setup defaults (usually Fn +F9), restoring BIOS settings as needed, and then seeing if that resolves the issue.

If after resetting the BIOS is still not recognizing the RAM, then it is possible that either your RAM is bad, which seems unlikely, or there is a hardware issue.

There is a fairly recent BIOS update for your system   (version 0XCN43WW dated 7/24/2017) so it may be something to consider applying if not already installed.    It does not mention any specific fix for what you are seeing, and BIOS updates are always a bit scary, but if you do decide to do so, be sure to read and follow the readme.txt thoroughly.

Note:   Before attempting the BIOS update, reboot the system, make sure your battery is fully charged, your AC Adapter is plugged in, and ensure that the system is stable before proceeding.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/500-SERIES/510-15ISK/downloads/DS11...

I wish I could offer more, but best of luck,

KakarotJr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 761
Message 5 of 5

Just wondering if the ram stick was bad would cpu-z still detect it and not bios?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors