cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shivateja_p
Serial Port
Views: 1,999
Message 1 of 9

no bootable device-- insert bootable disk and press any key" -ideapad 500 15isk boot problem.

I used ESET sysrescue live which creates a bootable OS of ESET in pendrive for effective scanning.I inserted the pendrive and strated the laptop. A warning popped up saying "the NTFS partion with label 'windows' is hibernated". I restarted my laptop and From then, It is showing a warning "no bootable device-- insert bootable disk and press any key". Please help to resolve the issue. 

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,975
Message 2 of 9

Re: no bootable device-- insert bootable disk and press any key" -ideapad 500 15isk boot proble

Why were you using ESET rescue? Did you think you had a security issue? Sounds like you have corrupted files or missing boot files now. Probably have to boot into recovery partition and try and repair the Windows install. Since you did not explain why you were using pen drive with ESET I don't know if this deleted the files or somehow corrupted the Windows boot manager. Try turning off Secure Boot in Bios and see if that helps, but I doubt it. If you were using ESET bootable pen drive I assume you were already having issues. Otherwise their would be no need to use a bootable security scan.

shivateja_p
Serial Port
Views: 1,962
Message 3 of 9

Re: no bootable device-- insert bootable disk and press any key" -ideapad 500 15isk boot proble

Thanks for trying to help.

I didn't even scan the system with that . As soon as it started, a warning popped up saying "the NTFS partion with label "windows" ishibernated. Please resume windows and turn it off properly,so mounting could be perforemd safely". I also checked the disk for defects and it showed no error. I installed the trial version of ESET NOD32 antivirus 5 days ago. Will downloading and installing Windows with USB work? Or should I change any settings in BIOS? My laptop came with windows 10 home preinstalled. Please help. 

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,948
Message 4 of 9

Yes, so you thought you shut down your PC but in all reality it went into what Microsoft calls Fast startup mode. Something introduced in Windows 8 and continues in Win 10. It basically acts like a hybernate mode and prevents any other system even a bootable USB device from starting. That might have been corrupted so you will need to enact the Novo recovery system that Lenovo with PC off insert paper clip in small hole left side of notebook next to USB ports. This will boot PC into recovery options. Boot into recovery mode and see if you can select repair Windows startup and see if that works. If not you will probably have to do a clean install of Windows in order to fix the boot manager problem. Sometimes it can be fixed, sometimes not.

shivateja_p
Serial Port
Views: 1,941
Message 5 of 9

I've tried system recovery option but showing the same error. I also checked BOOT in BIOS. Settings are as follows:

Boot mode:legacy, fast boot and USB boot: enabled. Pxe boot to lan: enabled. 

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,937
Message 6 of 9

Legacy should be disabled, only UEFI should be enabled along with secure boot. Or simple set bios back to all default settings to see if that works. Otherwise you will need to create a new install image to boot with USB stick to reinstall OS. 

If you are running Windows 10 you can go to Microsoft and download Media Creation Tool and run it on another PC and create a bootable Windows 10 install. Windows 10 installs with UEFI bios mode and if all you have enabled is legacy then it will not boot Windows 10, and won't even recognize its there. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,935
Message 7 of 9

Did you by chance switch the boot setting to legacy in order to boot the ESET flash drive?

Try setting to UEFI boot, or just load BIOS defaults and save.  Unless you (re)installed windows in legacy mode it's likely that it was a UEFI install and requires that configuration to boot.

[edit] Johnny types faster than I do Smiley Happy

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

shivateja_p
Serial Port
Views: 1,905
Message 8 of 9

I have tried the UEFI mode but the issue is still the same. 

A software messed up registry keys in the preinstalled windows 10 OS. So, I downloaded and (re)installed the windows but this happened months ago. I think this changed the boot setting from UEFI to Legacy mode. Even after changing the setting to default, it is showing the same error. 

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,899
Message 9 of 9

Most likely a hard drive failure, if in warranty call technical support for options. Otherwise replace drive. 

I just had to replace mine, died within a hour of beginning tests they can go quickly. Probably have a lot of bad sectors on drive and eventually a important piece of data gets written to one and then your PC begins to do weird stuff like not boot. 

Appears that you have tried everything else. Best of luck

Top Kudoed Authors