Germany

58 Signins

227 Page Views

• Views: 227
  • Message 1 of 6

Classic Iomega ix2 Blue then Red flashing

2014-02-14, 19:01 PM

Hello,

I have an Iomega StorCenter ix2, originally 1 TB. The drives flashes after power-on a longer time (>30 secs) blue, after this a short time red, then powers itself off. This happens either with harddrives installed or without. It is not detected by the LenovoEMC Storage Manager. I tried various combinations of holding/releasing the reset and/or power switch, no result. The internal battery has still >3V, tested with a digital multimeter.

This is my test configuration:

- Iomega StorCenter ix2 with original power supply

- 2x Western Digital 4 TB Red (WD40EFRX), fresh out of the package

- Network cable directly plugged into the LAN connector of the computer 

- OS X 10.5.8 Intel (I know it's old, but I still need a Leopard system)

- LenovoEMC Storage Manager 1.4.4.14439 for OS X Leopard

I tested the drive with the two WD drives installed, a single 500 GB Samsung 501LJ or no drives at all, the behaviour is always the same. The device is from december 2008, so there's no warranty anymore. The S/N starts with T0DJxxxxxx.

Greets, Naquaada.

1610 Posts

09-12-2013

Orem, UT

940 Signins

15739 Page Views

• Views: 15739
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Classic Iomega ix2 Blue then Red flashing

2014-02-14, 23:34 PM

Hi Naquaada,

Correct me if I am wrong, but what it sounds like you are trying to do is upgrade the storage capacity, correct? There is a certain process that will need to be done in order to do that, since the firmware operating system is stored on the hard drives and not the device itself.

You will need to reinstall the original hard drives and then follow the procedure on the support page below:

Upgrading the storage capacity for an ix-series network storage device

Have questions and need answers?

Search the database for answers to FAQ's, software/driver downloads, tutorials, news, features and more!

LenovoEMC Support & Downloads

LenovoEMC North America Support Contact Page
Options

14 Posts

02-14-2014

Germany

58 Signins

227 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2014-02-15, 6:55 AM
Thanks for the info, at least it didn't sound that the hardware is defective. Unfortunately I got the device with no hard drives at all. Is there somewhere an image of the ix2 OS that could be copied manually? At least the ix2-200 will be sold as a no-disk-version.

1610 Posts

09-12-2013

Orem, UT

940 Signins

15739 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2014-02-16, 21:40 PM

There is not a firmware imager available for that device. If the device did not come with the original drives, I would return the device to the seller.

Search the database for answers to FAQ's, software/driver downloads, tutorials, news, features and more!

Options

14 Posts

02-14-2014

Germany

58 Signins

227 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2014-02-17, 7:34 AM
Returning is not possible because I got the thing for free from a computer store ;-) Probably they thought it was defective, and wasting time trying to get an old device working again wasn't worth for them.

But what I read it doesn't seem that the hardware is defective. I read a link that the ix2-200 is using a 2-partition-system with a kind of linux. There's also described a way to create a boot drive for the ix2-200. So the only method to get my ix2 working again, I have to get another one, but with at least one working original harddisk. Then it'll be the next step to follow the drive upgrade instructions.

1610 Posts

09-12-2013

Orem, UT

940 Signins

15739 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2014-02-17, 18:33 PM

If you could get an original disk of an ix2 with the firmware on the disk intact, you could create a copy of it with a program like Acronis onto another hard drive...

OR

...insert the original HDD into the ix2, power on the device and wait for the device to recognize and initialize the disk. Then install a second drive (same manufacturer, rotational speed, and capacity as original drive), power on device, and wait for disk initialization.

I also found a third party site that has instructions with disk images that might help in your situation, although we would not be able to provide support for this: http://blog.bruteforcetech.com/archives/329

Other options, if possible, would be to install a third party, open source software system like FreeNAS onto the device.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms