Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Datacenter StorageLenovo Iomega Networking Storage
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

04-16-2014

Denmark

36 Signins

201 Page Views

• Views: 201
  • Message 1 of 10

HMNHD factory reset/format - strange unknown user

2014-04-16, 12:11 PM

I bought an Iomega Home Network Media Hard Drive a couple of years ago as demo unit from a shop and started using it right away - it appeared clean/empty and was updated to the latest firmware (2.104).

Later I discovered a user, that I had not created always appeared ("l?ne" - the questionmark seems to be some unrecognized character on both Windows and Linux web browser).

Naturally I would like to remove this user but failed to do so, selecting the user and clicking Apply did not make any difference.

delete-user.jpg

I would now like to sort this out once and for all, and I have been trying to reset the device completely, but this does not really seem to have much effect.

When performing a factory reset (from the web interface), date and time resets to Eastern time, machine name and description is reset and so is DHCP setting and workgroup name. But looking in the folders, they are all there including new ones I made - the strange "l?ne" user is still there.

And even after performing a disk format (using the web interface), it is all there (folders, but no files). And this also includes this spooky user I never created.

folder-management.jpg

Can anyone guide me to do a real hard reset of this box? The reset button on the back does not seem to do any more than the above - really confused...

Options

10 Posts

04-16-2014

Denmark

36 Signins

201 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Re: HMNHD factory reset/format - strange unknown user

2014-05-28, 6:48 AM

...ohhh, please! :smileyfrustrated:

Can someone help med out on resetting this  Iomega Home Network Media Hard Drive?

Just to make this clear, I am not asking for anything sophisticated; I simply would like to "nuke" this device back to factory setting, completely cleared for data on the disk and settings.

I would really like to start using it again, when everything has been wiped and I completely trust it again.

Options

1610 Posts

09-12-2013

Orem, UT

940 Signins

15739 Page Views

• Views: 15739
  • Message 3 of 10

2014-05-28, 20:46 PM

Hi Z80A,

Sorry I did not get to your post. If you go to the web interface and go to the Disks page > Manage Disks > Erase Disks, it should erase all data from the drives and render the device as new. Try this and see if it will clear that user out.

Have questions and need answers?

Search the database for answers to FAQ's, software/driver downloads, tutorials, news, features and more!

LenovoEMC Support & Downloads

LenovoEMC North America Support Contact Page
Options

10 Posts

04-16-2014

Denmark

36 Signins

201 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2014-06-04, 20:44 PM

Hi Andrew,

Late response from my side as well... :smileywink:

Anyway, I beleive I have tried what you suggest. The terminology in the user interface is slightly different to what you mention, but I can format and repair the disk from the Home Menu:

iomega-disk-management.jpg

Tried both Disk Format and Disk Repair, but none of them seem to clean the disk completely - the dummy folder, which I created, remains (though content is gone), as well as the "l?ne" user. The Event tab does not really reveal any information - are there other ways of extracting logs from this device?

Also, I have tried using the Factory Reset feature from the System/Administration menu, but I can not reset the device any further than described above.iomega-disk-system-tasks.jpg

Puzzled, I am... :smileyfrustrated:

Options

1610 Posts

09-12-2013

Orem, UT

940 Signins

15739 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2014-06-04, 22:32 PM

This is from the Home Storage Manager program, correct? Can you access the device from your web browser by typing in the IP address of the device? You should be able to access the web management console from there.

Search the database for answers to FAQ's, software/driver downloads, tutorials, news, features and more!

Options

10 Posts

04-16-2014

Denmark

36 Signins

201 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2014-06-05, 8:08 AM

Just for clarification; all above screenshots are from the web-based user interface (using Mozilla Firefox). I have only used the Home Storage Manager a few times as my main computer is using Linux.

Options

1610 Posts

09-12-2013

Orem, UT

940 Signins

15739 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2014-06-06, 18:21 PM

I see, sorry this is an older interface that I am not as familiar with.

Let's try the reset one more time, but instead shut down the unit with the Home Network Hard Drive. Push and hold the reset button, while powering on the device. Hold the reset button until the blue light on the front stops blinking.

If this reset doesn't work either, I've exhausted all ideas unfortunately. You will have to contact technical support directly to see if they can assist further.

Options

10 Posts

04-16-2014

Denmark

36 Signins

201 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2014-06-15, 22:06 PM

Andrew; tried out your suggested reset procedure and just about any conceivable combinations I could think of, but I can not make the device reset any further than what I have shown above.

I alo tried deleting some of the folders to see if that would "unlock" the "l?ne" user, but with no luck. Noticed that public  and ActiveFolders could not be removed.

While the device appears to be in working order, I do not trust it 100%, but I can not think of anything else to do now. Anyway, thanks for your time and advice...

Options

10 Posts

04-16-2014

Denmark

36 Signins

201 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2014-06-21, 17:34 PM

...just to finish this one off; I guess I can not reset the device more than I have done by now. It was about to end up in my drawer, but I am still tempted use it for backup purposes. Should I have any worries about using this HMNHD with this "alien" user still present? Any risks? Security holes?

Options

1610 Posts

09-12-2013

Orem, UT

940 Signins

15739 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2014-06-23, 20:43 PM

It's hard to know for sure since I do not know why the user is there and why it cannot be deleted, but as long as the unit and shares are secured otherwise I don't think there would be much to worry about. The user seems to only have access to one "dummy" share and I am sure it was a old user from the previous owner. I think it would be safe to use, but I would not depend on it as a reliable backup and always have your data in another location just in case.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms