11-05-2014

UK

13 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 11 of 76

Re: Home Media Network HD died after firmware upgrade

2014-11-08, 18:43 PM
Any response from Lenovo on this please?
The unit reset with pin, tried connecting direct to the pc with a crossover cable and using arp -a. All no joy.
The firmware update has screwed it, and I'd like to know how to fix it, even in worst case I loose the data.
Options

4 Posts

11-09-2014

Friendswood, TX

7 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 12 of 76

2014-11-09, 14:06 PM

I have the identical problem....uploaded the firmware update and went thru the process, and the unit did not complete reboot.

I've been trying to get it to reboot now 2 days later, doesn't even seem able to find the boot loader.

thanks for bricking my server.

Need a solution for this please.

Options

6 Posts

11-05-2014

Mexico

25 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 13 of 76

2014-11-09, 14:31 PM

Hello,

I tried the suggestion of connecting the drive directly to my computer (with the ethernet cable, with no router or anything between them), and it worked! I mean, I couldn't access the drive like that (or at least I couldn't figure out how), but without turning off the drive nor resetting it, I unplugged it from the computer and plugged it to the router... it was accessible as before the upgrade then :)

I do not take this as a solution, though... its more like a temporary workaround, as the drive will "block itself" again whenever it reboots (and it is also VERY slow now... if I go into the admin page, it takes forever to jump from one place to another)

I would expect Lenovo to release a fix/patch for this issue, as it is clearly caused by the upgrade they released. 

Please let me know if anyone finds a more stable/permanent fix.

Thanks,

Options

4 Posts

11-09-2014

Friendswood, TX

7 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 14 of 76

2014-11-09, 14:52 PM

This procedure did not work for me.  The device will not boot-load, apparently...and it was working quite OK until I uploaded the new Lenovo-provided firmware....whioch now ap[pears to have bricked my server.

How do I get my data now?  Data restoration service?  Hopefully they can read this dilberted Linux-formattged harddrive.

Very aggravated.

Options

4 Posts

11-09-2014

Friendswood, TX

7 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 15 of 76

2014-11-09, 15:58 PM

a follow-up.

I was able to get the device to reboot...takes over 30 min now.....and I was able to get to the setup screen via a direrct-connect.  Any selection off the web page was basically non-responsive....the device looked like it just locked-up.

So, I reset and unplugged, then re-powered-up.  Waiting for it to get stable so I can try accessing again.

Frankly, all I want to do is get it running well enough to off load the 730GB of data I have on it to a better, non-Lenovo/Iomega NAS or server.  This HMNHD has been a real PITA since I bought it in 2012....and replaced it a year later etc....

You get what you pay for, and this was another one of those lessons.  I detect this device is at end of life support wise, so I'd better get a solution at Fry's electronics TODAY.

In the case of Lenovo, I had bought an Android ThinkPad in 2012, only to discover that 6 months after I bought it, Lenovo discontinued all support for said ThinkPad tablet.  So, looks like I have 2 Lenovo bricks in my house now.

Options

4 Posts

11-09-2014

Friendswood, TX

7 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 16 of 76

2014-11-09, 16:26 PM

another follow-up..........

...after reboot, I was able to see that apparently my shares/data are intact, but I selected the set-up web-page and the unit opened a browser window and basically stopped...in its quircky, linuxy way.

I'm contemplating offloading the 750GB of data, somehow, onto my Mac Mini's 2 TB external drive and then using the HMNHD as a door stopper.  I reckon the Mini will be a much more reliable file server than the HMNHD has ever been...

Options

547 Posts

06-23-2014

Orem Utah

411 Signins

5606 Page Views

• Views: 5606
  • Message 17 of 76

2014-11-10, 15:48 PM

I am sorry but, anyone still having these issues should call tech support. If you are under warranty they could help troubleshoot and/or get a dump file to review. Either way, they should be able to get you an imager to reflash the new or old firmware.

However, the imager is data destructive but you can restore it from the backup.

Contact Us — North America

Options

4 Posts

11-05-2014

UK

13 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 18 of 76

2014-11-11, 15:32 PM

Just been on a chat session with Tech Support.

It appears they are not in least be interested in resolving their issues unless your lucky enough to still be in Warranty.. see the chat conversation below...

Costinel: Hi, my name is Costinel. How may I help you?
Jon Noble: The latest firmware upgrade on the iomega home media network hard drive caused the device to fail, it appears to boot OK but isn't "visable" on the network. I've been on the forum, it appears a number of customer have experienced the same issue.
Jon Noble: the only suggestion so far is to contact Tech Support for a "imager" to rebuild the unit. Can you help with that?
Costinel: I apologize for the inconvenience
Costinel: Unfortunately your NAS 6can36207a is Out of Warranty
Jon Noble: I know
Jon Noble: what is, and where can i get the required imager from?
Costinel: Unfortunately I am not able to provide you such information
Jon Noble: because it's out of Warranty, or because you don't know?
Costinel: we are note able to provide you such information as we need to investigate on your issue, but your NAS is out of warranty and our responsabilty ends. we can only provide limitted support for out of warranty devices which do not include advanced investigation.
Jon Noble: But the firmware upgrade, Lenovo issued is the cause of the failure, as it appears a number of other customers face the same problem. Is the official Lenovo response a flat "tuff, buy a new one"?
Costinel: in order to determine the fault we need to investigate in depth and that is done only when the NAS is in warranty.
Jon Noble: no other option available to me?
Costinel: you can check with 3rd party IT service centers
Jon Noble: wow..... I'll copy this into the forum. I expect i'll not be the only customer walking away from Lenovo.

Sorry to say, a shamful response from Lenovo, the seach for a replacment begins by excluning anything Lenovo.

Options

4 Posts

11-07-2014

UK

3 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 19 of 76

2014-11-11, 19:48 PM
This is very poor. It's not like any of us applied the Firmware update on a whim. We did it because *Lenovo* issued the update and it's generally considered good practice to apply such things. This is a problem of Lenovo's making, and they should supply a *reliable* solution. This isn't a question of whether a product is in or out of warranty, but rather Lenovo's approach to customer service.
Options

4 Posts

11-13-2014

United Kingdom

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 20 of 76

2014-11-13, 16:41 PM

I'll add my vouce for all the good it seems to do

I did the firmware update as described and all seemed to go ok, but now the device doesn't respond and seems not to boot properly

it takes ages to boot up and when it settles down the Quicktransfer light remains lit along with the power light

it dies not show up on windows share, or through the app, or on it's usual IP address

I have tried reboots and resetting via the pin button on the back for 15 sec

Nothing helps

I notice Lenovo have been silent on offering any advice

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms