06-23-2014

Orem Utah

411 Signins

5606 Page Views

• Views: 5606
  • Message 21 of 76

Re: Home Media Network HD died after firmware upgrade

2014-11-13, 20:26 PM
Unfortunately there is not a lot options with these Home Media Drives. If it is not fully booting it may have been a drive or software failure during the update. The best way to determine if it is hardware or software is to flash it with an imager. If the device is under warranty Tech Support should be able to assist with this.

I recommend contacting them directly.
Options

4 Posts

11-05-2014

UK

13 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 22 of 76

2014-11-14, 11:20 AM

Wesley_Lenovo, it's all very well repeating the "call tech support" quote but in reality you have several customers here that have applied the Lenovo provided update correctly and in good faith that Lenovo have released a stable fix.

The age of these Home Media drive probably means that most if not all of us are out on Warranty, myself by just over a month! So Tech Support won't help.

It appears there is a fix with this mythical "imager" you keep referring to, what would I believe be fair is that you made this available to all owner of the product. A link to the file with clear instructions is what is required.

A note to all those users out there following this thread, hoping that Lenovo see sense, if they don't I've been doing some market research and the D-Link Sharecentre seams a good budget alternative if you need to go and spend some more of your hard earned $.

Options

4 Posts

11-13-2014

United Kingdom

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 23 of 76

2014-11-14, 15:37 PM

Tech support haven't got back to me after 2 emails and 1 hour on the phone got me nowhere

I know they must be busy but if they just put a link to a decent howto to get the thing back I wouldn't need to call, and neither woud any of the others with the same issue

I thought I'd just cut my losses and move the data to a different drive 

This turned out to be harder than i thought

I pulled the disk out, and plugged it into a desktop directly by SATA

under windoes it wasn't recognised but was precent and spun up, so it isn't dead - so far as expected

I live-booted Ubuntu expecting it to be plain sailing but it is not showing as a simple XFS filesystem

it is showing as part of a RAID array and i can't mount it?

I've tries mounting and specifying the filesystem ( mount -t xfs) but no luck

has anyone got past this or got any advice?

Options

1 Posts

11-15-2014

Melbourne, Australia

3 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 24 of 76

2014-11-16, 0:46 AM

Thanks, Wesley_Lenovo,

I am carefully reading all conversation in this regard, as I have also same issue. My "Home Media Network HD died after recent firmware upgrade". After reading & trying several methods mentioned in this & other forums, Home Media HD is still not recognised on the network.
So, as per your suggestion I contacted "Tech-supprt" via email as "live chat" is not available in Australia (shame on you Lenovo). They responded me after 3 working days & asked Sr. No. of my drive, which I gave them. They replied next day (wow) stating that, my drive is  "out of warranty" (I know that). But they will email me "Imager" which will restore my drive to the last firmware (good), but this is "Data destructive" (very bad). So they asked me to do a "data backup" without telling how? So, I have again turned to forums, somebody suggested, remove the hard drive from enclosue & connect it either directley using "sata cable" to my PC or by "sata to usb adapter".
I bought a "sata to usb adapter" & connected my hard drive to my PC. It is still not recognised. Windows asking me to "format this drive before using it. My question is, how can I get my data back? Is there any good "data backing utlity"?
I have tried so far, "easeUS", "findandmount" & "recuva" with no success. currentely I am trying "testdisk" but it is still scanning my drive for last 14 hours & finished only 20% so far. Any good solution are more than welcome.
On another note, I personally think that, Lenovo should be held responsible for releasing such a bad firmware update which is detroying their customer's otherwise working drives.
I also believe that, this problem is under reported, because I know at least three friends of mine who also have same problem but they don't have time to report it.
At least, Lenovo should also supply a "data backup utility"
Please help anyone.
Options

3 Posts

11-16-2014

Australia

10 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 25 of 76

2014-11-16, 13:37 PM
i have same issue after the firmware upgrade but my drive is still under warranty (3 years). so i will post what lenovo will provide to fix this issue when i get reply from them.
Options

547 Posts

06-23-2014

Orem Utah

411 Signins

5606 Page Views

• Views: 5606
  • Message 26 of 76

2014-11-17, 16:23 PM

Sorry for the trouble and I am glad support will be able to supply an imager. If you are going to try and recover the data you will need to mount the drive to a system running Linux. Windows will not read it. Or you can contact a data recovery service to do it for you. Lenovo does not support data recovery, that is why they did not supply directions.

Also, Lenovo does not offer a backup utility any longer and we recommend using the built in utilities such as Windows Backup and Restore or Apple Time Machine. There are also many other free options available.

Unfortunately, Lenovo does not cover data loss, even when in warranty. It is recommended to always have a backup especially before making changes like firmware updates. Having data on one device is not a backup.

This is clearly posted on the update page:

caution.JPG

Also look at, What is a Backup?

Options

3 Posts

11-16-2014

Australia

10 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 27 of 76

2014-11-18, 8:31 AM

hello wesley,

there was a user who mounted the drive on linux box but no luck.  Do you have steps to do this in linux.  Even though lenovo already posted the warning, i think they are still some part liable for destructive update.  it is still even posted in lenove website??? **bleep**?? are there many people have successfully applied the patch?? just curious..

thanks

herysoe

Options

2 Posts

11-18-2014

Poland

27 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 28 of 76

2014-11-18, 13:25 PM

are there many people have successfully applied the patch??

Well, I have...sort of. It boots now in long 8 mins and is not visible at first , but when I restart my router after it's fully booted I can gain access to the NAS just like before. Of course it's not a solution, more like temporary workaround (waiting for lenovo to fix this with another update)

Options

1 Posts

11-22-2014

United States

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 29 of 76

2014-11-22, 20:09 PM

Hi,

I have the same experience. After upgrading to 3.2.8.30031, the Network HD would not be accessible from the network.

Following your hints regarding rebooting the router, I figured out that the problem must be in the way that the upgrade changes the network configuration order. So I did the following:

1. Shutdown the HD with the power button

2. Disconnect the LAN cable

3. Power up the HD

4. Wait a few min (until light the white light in the front starts blinking, and the blue light is off)

5. Reconnect the LAN cable

6. My device was now accessible

I have done this about 5 times now, and I consistently have access to the NAS. 

I am still investigating what causes the issues, but this seems to be a successful workaround for the time being.

Let me know if anyone else has success with this method

Options

1 Posts

11-23-2014

Brazil

3 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 30 of 76

2014-11-23, 18:09 PM
Thanks maquinax, those steps worked for me !!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms