The Moon

16 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 1 of 4

RAID....is it really worth using RAID?

2015-07-21, 22:20 PM

Hello

I understand what RAID is, and have RAID 1 configured on ny IX2-200 at the moment.

But is it actually worth it, to have RAID (0,1, 5 or whatever) on a NAS box at all?

My data is on my desktop, my NAS box and an external hard drive.  So if my data is kept in three locations is it really worth it to set my NAS up in a RAID configuration, especially when RAID slows the device down and halves the storage capacity in the process?

Solved! See the solution
Options

200 Posts

11-30-2010

CA

1057 Signins

2959 Page Views

• Views: 2959
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: RAID....is it really worth using RAID?

2015-07-22, 1:56 AM
RAID does not necessarily slow the drive(s) down relative to single or JBOD (http://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid). Even in RAID 1, there can be read performance gains, although writes can require more resources. RAID 1 does come at the expense of capacity though as you point out, and yes it ticks me off thinking about a $150 WD 3TB Red just sitting there copying the other drive; if I think about it that way.

It likely comes down to your priorities and other redundancy patterns. I use my ix2-dl for shared multimedia and long-term storage. Since my multimedia library is precious to me, the redundancy of RAID 1 gives me peace of mind, along with a regular external backup of the NAS.

As my current two-disk system grows towards its limit I will likely invest in a 4-disk system, initially with 3 hard drives in RAID 5, and turn the two-disk RAID 1 into a RAID 0 backup system.
Options

3 Posts

07-24-2015

United States

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 4

2015-07-24, 17:32 PM

The primary purpose of RAID is to acheive high availablity.

In other words, RIAD is there to minimize down time due to loss of access to the data.

The primary purpose of backup is to minimize chances of data loss, which RAID by itself cannot acheive.

In other words, if you don't use RAID on the primary storage location to minimize downtime, then there's no reason to use it on a backup storage location like a NAS.

The general 3 -2- 1 principal for data protection will include 3 copies of your data, 2 Physically discreat storage devices in your posession(RAID1 is still just 1 location), and 1 off-site(or in the cloud).

Adding redundancy to the backup device if you don't need it to expand your total storage will not, by itself accomplish the elmination of single points of failure like the 3-2-1 backup method will.

However, if you only have a 2-bay system, you will probably still want to have at least 1 drive redundancy because running RAID0 makes the #2 device in your backup scheme vulnerable.

If you have at least RAID5, then you should be okay, but having a a large single drive as your #2 device is fine as well.

Best of luck,

Leon

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

07-20-2015

The Moon

16 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 4 of 4

2015-07-24, 18:52 PM

Good evening Leon

Thank you for your thoughts, which have helped explain the purpose of a NAS and RAID in terms that I can understand.

If my NAS was my main source for data, then I could see a need to protect that active data with some form of RAID.

However, I use my NAS more as a backup to my data along with allowing that data to be streamed around by home.  This data is storred in three locations, my computer, NAS and external hard drive.

So if I understand your thoughts correctly, then I should really be using RAID for my primary source of data.  This would mean that I would more accurately be using RAID on my desktop computer, if I was to use RAID at all.

If this is indeed correct then I can do away with the thought of RAID on my NAS box and as a result double my storage space in the process?

Cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete