11-29-2014

Netherlands

8 Signins

104 Page Views

• Views: 104
  • Message 1 of 11

Shares on ix2-200 disappear a few minutes after power-ON

2014-11-29, 16:39 PM

I have an iomega ix2-200, approx 3 years old. 2 x 2TB in RAID configuration.

There are 2 shares defined, 'DataShare' and 'MediaServer'.

HDD's are approx. 2/3 full. Firmware updated to latest version 3.2.8.30031 a few weeks ago.

Suddenly, I could not access the shares from any PC in the network. The webserver in the device is still accessible and shows that there is still data on the disk. The share names still exist but show no data. The data is shown in System Status as allocated to 'Others'.

Shares.jpg

I tried removing the disks one by one and restarting to see if just one was causing a problem, but both behaved the same. When I restart the NAS (with HDD1, HDD2 or both), the shares appear for a minute or so, and during that time I can access them from my PC as mapped drives.

Then after a minute or so, one by one, the shares disappear. Below screenshot shows share 'MediaServer' still alive just before disappearing.

System_Status_2.jpgSystem_Status_1.jpg

Any idea how to fix this, or tips for further analysis? 

Is there any way to recover the data from the drives by connecting them to my (Win7) PC?

Solved! See the solution
Options

588 Posts

09-21-2013

Germany

1018 Signins

10662 Page Views

• Views: 10662
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Shares on ix2-200 disappear a few minutes after power-ON

2014-12-01, 0:42 AM

First of all, when drive is about 3 yrs old, it could well be that it is still under warranty if properly registred... Anyway raising a support call to local Lenovo  would be a better way towards solution in this case than waiting for a forum answer.

Taking the drives out and try to recover the data on a Windows PC (either directly or with an USB-SATA adapter) will definitely not do it (and probably will make situation even worse). Raid system (also just one drive) is proprietary to Lenovo ......

Good Luck.

----------------------------
Forum-Search is not working stable these days. Pls. use this link instead.

The article is here

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
Options

4 Posts

11-29-2014

Netherlands

8 Signins

104 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2014-12-01, 12:54 PM

Just out of warranty (purchased Aug-2011)...

I see more posts in this forum that seem to indicate the same problem. However, I don't find any (understandable) solutions so far.

Anyway, I pulled one of the drives out  (RAID1, so both should contain the full set if data) and stuck it in an HDD dock.

Of course Win7 says the drive needs to be formatted, so I ignored that.

Installed UFS explorer trial version, and to my relief, all data on the HDD seems accessible. Copied a few small files (trial version has a file size limit) to local drive on the PC. File was intact, so I bought the full version. Will attempt to salvage all data tonight.

After that, a full factory reset might save the NAS, but I will not be confident to store anything important on it.

Options

901 Posts

11-25-2014

USA

592 Signins

12347 Page Views

• Views: 12347
  • Message 4 of 11

2014-12-05, 21:43 PM

Hello tmattaar

First off Thank you 

There is/was another possible option, it does not always work but if it does it would allow you to backup data so a factory reset from the web interface could ran to correct the potential storage pool errors.

When a missing data issue occurs like this and the "others" section seems show the usage for the missing shares, as your case did,  you should be able to turn on the FTP feature and access the data.

FTP can be located under the Network>Protocols or All Features>Protocols  pages.

You would then need to connect via finder/windows explorer or preferably an ftp client such as filezilla to connect to the NAS and check if the storage pool is accessible.  If so you should be able to navigate to the shares and backup your data. 

For this situation and other like it, the best option is always going to be keeping a backup of the data stored (if possible of course).  The firmware updates are meant to be non-destructive, but there can be instances where something could go wrong that was not forseen and cause the data to be wiped or in your case a very strange storage pool issue. 

I glad that you were able to retrieve the data!

LenovoEMC Contact Information is region specific. Please select the correct link then access the Contact Us at the top right:

US and Canada: https://lenovo-na-en.custhelp.com/

Latin America and Mexico: https://lenovo-la-es.custhelp.com/

EU: https://lenovo-eu-en.custhelp.com/

India/Asia Pacific: https://lenovo-ap-en.custhelp.com/

http://support.lenovoemc.com/
Options

4 Posts

11-29-2014

Netherlands

8 Signins

104 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2014-12-06, 8:51 AM

Thanks for your comments.

I hadn't thought of trying FTP access, but meanwhile all data is now safe (?) on a new NAS.

After recovering the data using an HDD dock and UFS explorer (a 24 hr copy job), I did a factory reset of the ix2-200 and all seems OK now. I put some data on it and will check for a while if it remains stable , before I start using it as backup NAS. 

I hope that this thread can help others facing the same problem.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

06-05-2018

Australia

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 6 of 11

2018-06-05, 6:10 AM

Simply out of guarantee (acquired Aug-2011)...

I see more posts in this gathering appear to show a similar issue. In any case, I don't locate any (justifiable) arrangements up until this point.

Anyway, Do my Assignment for me I hauled one of the drives out (RAID1, so both ought to contain the full set of information) and stuck it in an HDD dock. Of course, Win7 says the drive should be designed, so I disregarded that.

Options

1 Posts

06-05-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 7 of 11

2018-06-05, 7:09 AM

For this circumstance and others like it, the best alternative is continually going to keep a reinforcement of the information put away (if conceivable obviously). The firmware refreshes are intended to be non-dangerous, however, there can be cases where something could turn out badly that was not foreseen and make the information be wiped or for your situation an exceptionally weird stockpiling pool issue.

Assignment Writing Service
Options

1 Posts

06-13-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 8 of 11

Re:Shares on ix2-200 disappear a few minutes after power-ON

2020-06-13, 22:15 PM

Your favorite source for all things Coding. We’re dedicated to providing you the absolute best of data.You Learn Multiple languages C++, C++ For Loop Programs Examples

Options

1 Posts

06-25-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 9 of 11

2020-06-25, 6:40 AM

I found this same issue my cousin told me about this forum to find the answer about it but as you know its not a big case to hire a lawyer like dui attorney vancouver wa so i hope anyone here can help me out in this.

Options

588 Posts

09-21-2013

Germany

1018 Signins

10662 Page Views

• Views: 10662
  • Message 10 of 11

2020-06-25, 7:21 AM

Hope your entry is not considered spamming as advertising is not liked here...

Be aware, that your drive is pretty old and (unless you tell different) supportwise EOL.

As from the story above i would believe, that your data is still there but lost connection to you client. For a try, pls enable SMB1 protocol on your client -PC as this has been disabled default on all windows editions due to security reasons.
https://www.tachytelic.net/2019/09/windows-10-enable-smb1/

----------------------------
Forum-Search is not working stable these days. Pls. use this link instead.

The article is here

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms