Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Datacenter StorageLenovo Iomega Networking Storage
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-14-2014

Canada

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 1 of 8

device causing internet connection drop

2014-05-14, 14:48 PM

I'm having a peculiar problem and I'm hoping someone can help me.  I have been having intermittent internet connection drops, after spending hours on the phone with my ISP we learned that the issue immediately went away if we unplugged my ix2-200.  The issue returns if I plug it back into my modem... I will be surfing along on my computer and the connection drops for about 45 - 60 seconds and resumes... it seems to happen on a schedule too (i.e.: 1:53pm, 2:43pm, 3:43pm...)

I thought at first it could be one of the torrents, but I've completely disabled the torrent feature and the issue still remains.  Can anyone tell me a solution or give me some ideas on how to troubleshoot?

I also just did a firmware upgrade and the issue persists...

Options

1610 Posts

09-12-2013

Orem, UT

940 Signins

15739 Page Views

• Views: 15739
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: device causing internet connection drop

2014-05-14, 19:17 PM

Hi Bittrexx,

I have not heard of a device dropping the entire internet connection before. Is this a recent issue or has it worked previously? Were there any changes to your system or network configuration that might have caused this?

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the router. You can try connecting the device directly to your computer and see if the issue persists. Are you using Storage Manager to connect to the device?

Are there any other programs that run on a schedule like an anti-virus software or firewall that might be causing this issue?

Have questions and need answers?

Search the database for answers to FAQ's, software/driver downloads, tutorials, news, features and more!

LenovoEMC Support & Downloads

LenovoEMC North America Support Contact Page
Options

4 Posts

05-14-2014

Canada

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2014-05-14, 20:49 PM

Thanks for getting back to me.  This is a recent issue, no change to network or configuration.  All of a sudden I just started dropping connections all the time.

I suspected the modem before as well, but I have replaced it twice.  It works well for a time then starts up after a few days.  It immediately stops once I unplug the device.  No anti-virus on schedule and my firewall is disabled.

How would I connect this directly to my computer?  Via the USB on the back?  I don't have a large USB to USB cable so I'll have to get one to try that out.  Yes I use the storage manager to connect to the device.

Do you have any advice on how to troubleshoot this more in depth?  I am an IT professional so am comfortable with command line interface if I can get on it somehow.

Thanks again -

Options

1610 Posts

09-12-2013

Orem, UT

940 Signins

15739 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2014-05-14, 21:24 PM

You can direct connect with the ethernet cable. You might need a crossover cable with that device.

I'm not sure what to troubleshoot further. It would be best to call in to technical support to create a ticket for this issue. We will most likely need a dump log and to escalate the incident to a higher level technician.

Search the database for answers to FAQ's, software/driver downloads, tutorials, news, features and more!

Options

4 Posts

05-14-2014

Canada

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2014-05-16, 12:33 PM

Sorry I may be missing something here... if I plug the device directly into my computer I will be using up the only ethernet port and I won't have an internet connection to check (my computer is directly connected to the modem, not wifi).

It's very apparent to me that it's the device that's causing the issue - as soon as I unplug it the connection is great... plug it back in and my wired and wireless connections turn to garbage.

Thanks for your help -

Options

1610 Posts

09-12-2013

Orem, UT

940 Signins

15739 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2014-05-16, 21:21 PM

I was wondering if the connection still drops between the device and your computer when it is directly connected. It may be helpful to do a factory reset on the device and see if the issue persists. To fully understand the issue though, you will need to contact support directly so we can get a dump log and troubleshoot further.

Options

1 Posts

01-06-2015

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2015-01-06, 11:10 AM

I had exactly the same: intermittent internet failure. My Internet connection drops EXACTLY every 10 minutes, as soon as the ix2-200 is connected to the network. I made sure to disable all apps, services etc. Still there is an algorithm that screws up the router/network every ten minutes. LAN-connections stay fine, it's just the Internet connection that drops.

Last year I had contact with the service dept., sent dumpfiles, logs etc. never heard back from them. They did NOT know of any algorithm with a 10-minute interval in the firmware.

I had to buy a Synology DiskStation instead and that's working fine. I incidentally (twice a year) hook up my ix2-200 to make a full backup of the Synology overnight, when I don't need an Internet connection. Most of the time the ix2 sits in a vault because it's unusable. This way it still serves some purpose.

Previously I used this same ix2 on a different location with a different router, different IP-address. My current router is a Cisco EPC3925 (UPC), local IP's start with 192.113.

Options

901 Posts

11-25-2014

USA

592 Signins

12347 Page Views

• Views: 12347
  • Message 8 of 8

2015-01-06, 21:54 PM

Hello antonth and Bittrexx

This could be a firmware issue, if the network interface of the unit is sending out excessive information, it could potentially flood your router with communication requests.  I recommend that you backup your data, run a full factory reset from the web interface to clear the firmware back to factory settings and then try using it again on your network. 

I also recommend reaching out to LenovoEMC support again to try checking on the issue.

LenovoEMC Contact Information is region specific. Please select the correct link then access the Contact Us at the top right:

US and Canada: https://lenovo-na-en.custhelp.com/

Latin America and Mexico: https://lenovo-la-es.custhelp.com/

EU: https://lenovo-eu-en.custhelp.com/

India/Asia Pacific: https://lenovo-ap-en.custhelp.com/

http://support.lenovoemc.com/
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms