Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Datacenter StorageLenovo Iomega Networking Storage
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-19-2019

Denmark

13 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 1 of 2

iomega storcenter ix2-200 ethernet LAN port not working - move drives to another identical box?

2019-02-22, 11:40 AM

Hi all,

I'm totally new here and hope I'm posting in the correct category - otherwise please let me know.

My old Iomega Storcenter IX2-200 with 2x2Tb RAID 1 drives became unresponsive and disappered from the network some months ago after working for several years with only one drive exchange. The ethernet (LAN) port has a green light constantly on and a yellow one also on except for a few pauses every few seconds. The picture is the same on my router, where the ethernet port works just fine with other devices. This makes me suspect a problem withe box itself rather than the hard drives. On the IX2 front panel the power LEDis solid and constant, the status LED is blinking rapidly in white and it's doing "something" because the blue LED is blinking without any obvious pattern and I can hear the hard drive(s) working. Factory reset of the box did not solve the problem, so it must be a hardware failure. I'm pretty desparate to recover the data from my drives and is planning to buy a second-hand box and move the drives there, praying I will then be able to copy the data to somewhere else.

Could anybody tell me if this sounds like a feasible approach - or are the drives somehow "tied" to the box electronics? Is the a requirement for matching firmware?

Long post, but I wanted to give the necessary details and I thank to those who had the patience to follow this far.

BR/Henrik

Options

Re: iomega storcenter ix2-200 ethernet LAN port not working - move drives to another identical box?

2019-03-01, 16:25 PM

Have you tried to connect one of the drives to a different computer (preferably a Linux-based unit)? Some RAID1-implementations merely make the two mirrored drives appear as one, but in reality, if you mount one of the drives in another computer, the drive's partitions will show up as accessible and read/write operations to/from it should be possible outside the original RAID-device.

Just a thought if all other alternatives have been exhausted, and ofcourse I give no warranties on neither obtaining the desired result of getting the data off the drive nor concerning one might actually destroy the data or make them inaccessible in the original RAID-device through performing this procedure.

In addition, there are a lot of general know-how on the internet on issues like this, so please do a search for that aswell.

PersonaNonGrata

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms