Gießen

2 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 1 of 4

After switching on: Keyboard is shining, but nothing else happens

2013-06-12, 8:11 AM

Hey guys,

I got my new Y580 about 6 month ago and I LOVE it!

However, about 1 week ago strange things started to happen...

The Symptoms after pressing the power button:

• When I switch the computer on, the keyboard lightens up as usual, but that's it. Nothing else happens.
  • There are no booting sounds (in regard to "the black screen of death" I've read about - that's definitely not the problem here, I also work with an additional external monitor).
  • The USB-devices have no power.
  • The monitor (including the external one) does not show anything, not even any BIOS output. As far as I can tell, it is not even active.
  • The CPU fan seems to be rotating very slowly so the CPU gets quite hot when I leave it like that for 5 minutes or so.
  • After struggling for some time and switching it on, waiting a few minutes, switching it off and back on and waiting over and over again (tried over 3 hours yesterday...) it suddenly starts working again. But not directly after pressing the power button but after leaving it alone for a minute or two after switching it on.
  • When the system is booted, everything works like a charm.

What I have tried:

• Remove the battery and unplug the AC, press the power button for 30 seconds, release it, press for 30 seconds again, plug the AC back in and switch it on.
  • Working only with the AC.
  • Working only with the battery.
  • Unplug all peripherals (monitor, USB).

But nothing helped...

I'm running Linux on a mSATA and Windows on the "normal" HDD. I did not make any hardware or BIOS changes. The problem seemed to have appeared out of nowhere.

This is pretty annoying since I need this notebook for my work. I hope you guys can help...

Thanks in advance!

Options

1251 Posts

11-19-2012

Egypt

1333 Signins

10326 Page Views

• Views: 10326
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: After switching on: Keyboard is shining, but nothing else happens

2013-06-13, 15:09 PM

Dear Quasdunk

Welcome in Lenovo Forums

Please contact the below support to have your issue sorted out

Germany.jpg

Thanks

Alaa

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

15 Posts

01-29-2013

Hamburg/Germany

18 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-06-22, 16:55 PM

Hi, you might want to have a look to this thread:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y580-Boot-Failures/m-p/1010685/highlight/true#M78692

It sounds like the problem I had - the problem was one of the two memory boards.

If you have 2 of them, try booting with only one of them. If this works, you know the faulty one.

Good luck!

Jens

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-06-22, 20:08 PM

I agree with Jens2, it could be a defective memory module. If you can boot and run the unit again, try running memory diagnostics else you will have to open up the unit and remove and test each module as suggested by Jens2.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete