Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 111 of 137

Re: A DIY Project: Creating a bootable OKR 8 Recovery USB Flash Drive

2017-10-22, 16:08 PM

Hello LenBlazer,

Dont know if this thread is still active, but I am stuck in a huge mess.

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 59428436, the model with the 1tb+8gb Hybrid Drive.

When i got the laptop, there were only the Windows8_OS C: and the Lenovo D: drive present, of which I partitioned the C: drive into further E: and F: of 245gb each without losing the OKR functionality. The OKR still worked after partitioning and I was able to make backups and restore without a problem.

Now the thing is, I recent bought a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD to replace the ageing Hybrid Drive.

I first used Partition Wizard Home Edition to migrate the entire drive to the SSD but later found out that I lost the OKR functionality even though all the drives were migrated without any issues.

I stumbled upon this thread and found out about the guide that you posted about using the OKR 8.iso to install the partitions and then restore the user created backups to get a fresh factory install of Windows on the new drive with the OKR still working.

The problem is, I do not have the backup that should be available in the Lenovo D: drive under the OneKey App/OneKey recovery folder. I just have the one 1kb file of Default.okd. In short, I am guessing I do not have the Factory Reset files, ie-the ones required to bring the laptop to its initial factory state with OKR and everything else working as it should.

I do not know how to proceed further.

Short version of my post is :- I need to Factory Reset (fresh factory install) my laptop to its initial newly bought conditions with OKR and everything else working but on a NEW SSD instead of the existing one hopefully without wiping the existing drive contents.

I hope I was able to get across my curent condition precisely.

Any help from you or anybody here would be gratly appreciated.

wrote:

wrote:
Thank you so much for your replies. Just a quick question, in the create.ini file, 100000 stands for 100 GB, correct? So if I wanted a C partition with 200 GB, I'd just have to replace it with 200000?

Regarding PBR_DRV, I did a lot of Googling and learned that when Windows shuts down, it simply hibernates several drives, including Windows_08, LENOVO and PBR_DRV. That is why they could not be mounted when I booted into Linux. I applied a workaround that was effective, however, and was ultimately able to extract the contents of PBR_DRV and make my own bootable flash drive. Thank you very much for the instructions.

Here is the formula that I use to exactly display the desired value using disk management:

(desired value to be displayed x1000) x 1.024 = value to be typed in in create.ini.

Example: Using your example of desired value of 200 GB

You should type in = (200 x 1000) x 1.024 = 204800

Why the 1.024? You may dig this up in google. The hint is that the prefix use in kilo actually is 1.024 Kilo.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 112 of 137

2017-10-23, 1:32 AM

wrote:

Hello LenBlazer,

Dont know if this thread is still active, but I am stuck in a huge mess.

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 59428436, the model with the 1tb+8gb Hybrid Drive.

When i got the laptop, there were only the Windows8_OS C: and the Lenovo D: drive present, of which I partitioned the C: drive into further E: and F: of 245gb each without losing the OKR functionality. The OKR still worked after partitioning and I was able to make backups and restore without a problem.

Now the thing is, I recent bought a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD to replace the ageing Hybrid Drive.

I first used Partition Wizard Home Edition to migrate the entire drive to the SSD but later found out that I lost the OKR functionality even though all the drives were migrated without any issues.

I stumbled upon this thread and found out about the guide that you posted about using the OKR 8.iso to install the partitions and then restore the user created backups to get a fresh factory install of Windows on the new drive with the OKR still working.

The problem is, I do not have the backup that should be available in the Lenovo D: drive under the OneKey App/OneKey recovery folder. I just have the one 1kb file of Default.okd. In short, I am guessing I do not have the Factory Reset files, ie-the ones required to bring the laptop to its initial factory state with OKR and everything else working as it should.

I do not know how to proceed further.

Short version of my post is :- I need to Factory Reset (fresh factory install) my laptop to its initial newly bought conditions with OKR and everything else working but on a NEW SSD instead of the existing one hopefully without wiping the existing drive contents.

I hope I was able to get across my curent condition precisely.

Any help from you or anybody here would be gratly appreciated.

wrote:

wrote:
Thank you so much for your replies. Just a quick question, in the create.ini file, 100000 stands for 100 GB, correct? So if I wanted a C partition with 200 GB, I'd just have to replace it with 200000?

Regarding PBR_DRV, I did a lot of Googling and learned that when Windows shuts down, it simply hibernates several drives, including Windows_08, LENOVO and PBR_DRV. That is why they could not be mounted when I booted into Linux. I applied a workaround that was effective, however, and was ultimately able to extract the contents of PBR_DRV and make my own bootable flash drive. Thank you very much for the instructions.

Here is the formula that I use to exactly display the desired value using disk management:

(desired value to be displayed x1000) x 1.024 = value to be typed in in create.ini.

Example: Using your example of desired value of 200 GB

You should type in = (200 x 1000) x 1.024 = 204800

Why the 1.024? You may dig this up in google. The hint is that the prefix use in kilo actually is 1.024 Kilo.

I agree, it is a very old thread and I no longer made any modifications to the solution of restoring the Z500 to factory conditions after the partitions are altered manually or automatically. I no longer have the unit with me.

I think I have to disagree with the statement that you can only see the C and D drive since there are several of them but you can not see them using only Windows disk management. You need other third party software to see them.
It is known and some of the members in the forum can testify that using Acronis, other cloning programs will not restore OKR functionality. Thus the purpose of the my search for a solution and coming out of the guide.

As already mentioned, there are partition/partitons that are hidden. For the particular folder you mentioned, you need to activate the show hidden files in the settings menu to see them. For the other partitions, it is mentioned in the guide you can run Ubuntu or Linux to see them and copy files from them.

For the purpose of transferring your existing system plus installed programs and configurations you can make an image using Macrium Reflect and restoring it to the new SSD.  Or you can make a customized windows installer that will reinstal everything (existing programs and settings) into the new SSD. 

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 113 of 137

2017-10-24, 15:06 PM

I am sorry if I couldnt get my point across you, but the directory D:\Lenovo\OneKey App\OneKey Recovery contains only one file ie: Default.okd of 1kb.

So I am guessing i do not have a factory backup that I can restore my laptop to factory conditions using OKR.

Now, my question is, if I partition my new SSD using the OKR.iso to the lenovo required partitions, and now since i do not have a backup, can I then shut down and boot from Windows 10 ISO setup file and fresh install windows to the newly created system partition.?

Will i have a working OKR then.?

In short, following the steps from your guide,

1. Format SSD using OKR.iso

2. Shut down laptop

3. No backup present to restore from

4. So use Windows 10 Setup iso and burn it to USB

5. Install fresh Windows 10 to newly created C: drive

6. OKR hopefully working.???

Thank you for taking out your time.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 114 of 137

2017-10-24, 17:22 PM

wrote:

I am sorry if I couldnt get my point across you, but the directory D:\Lenovo\OneKey App\OneKey Recovery contains only one file ie: Default.okd of 1kb.

So I am guessing i do not have a factory backup that I can restore my laptop to factory conditions using OKR.

Now, my question is, if I partition my new SSD using the OKR.iso to the lenovo required partitions, and now since i do not have a backup, can I then shut down and boot from Windows 10 ISO setup file and fresh install windows to the newly created system partition.?

Will i have a working OKR then.?

In short, following the steps from your guide,

1. Format SSD using OKR.iso

2. Shut down laptop

3. No backup present to restore from

4. So use Windows 10 Setup iso and burn it to USB

5. Install fresh Windows 10 to newly created C: drive

6. OKR hopefully working.???

Thank you for taking out your time.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I think you should refer to https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/ll04_en/thread-id/81374/page/7 for the procedure rather than the one using the windows iso. Its title DIY something and it does not need a backup but the existence of the original partitions which has the original windows.

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 115 of 137

2017-10-25, 5:56 AM

Thank you for your reply.

That was the same exact thread that I was referring to in my above post.

The original post was what I referred to while asking you about the above procedure that i posted.

But going by that procedure, wouldnt OKR restore it to Windows 8 instead of Windows 10 that is installed at the moment.?

I am still not able to get my head over the procedure.

I could really appreciate it if you could please guide me through the entire procedure step by step.

Thank you for your time.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

PS- My current condition is

1. Stock Hybrid 1TB HDD with latest Windows 10 and partitioned with OKR working (with C: drive a bit corrupted as some programs won't uninstall, so my insistence on factory reset or fresh install)

2. New Samsung 1TB SSD fully blank

3. USB HDD case available for transfer

My required condition-

1. Stock Hybrid 1TB HDD as it is for external backup

2. New Samsung 1TB SSD with partitions as required by OKR with OKR fully functioning

3. Factory copy of Windows (any version I guess) installed on the SSD.

Thank you again and sorry for bothering you again and again.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 116 of 137

2017-10-25, 11:41 AM

wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

That was the same exact thread that I was referring to in my above post.

The original post was what I referred to while asking you about the above procedure that i posted.

But going by that procedure, wouldnt OKR restore it to Windows 8 instead of Windows 10 that is installed at the moment.?

I am still not able to get my head over the procedure.

I could really appreciate it if you could please guide me through the entire procedure step by step.

Thank you for your time.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

PS- My current condition is

1. Stock Hybrid 1TB HDD with latest Windows 10 and partitioned with OKR working (with C: drive a bit corrupted as some programs won't uninstall, so my insistence on factory reset or fresh install)

2. New Samsung 1TB SSD fully blank

3. USB HDD case available for transfer

My required condition-

1. Stock Hybrid 1TB HDD as it is for external backup

2. New Samsung 1TB SSD with partitions as required by OKR with OKR fully functioning

3. Factory copy of Windows (any version I guess) installed on the SSD.

Thank you again and sorry for bothering you again and again.

"That was the same exact thread that I was referring to in my above post.
But going by that procedure, wouldnt OKR restore it to Windows 8 instead of Windows 10 that is installed at the moment.?"

Answer: No attempt was made to change the original OS. So, yes when OKR is functional it should restore to Win 8.0 and not Win 10. Also note that upgrading to Win 10 might cause OKR to be non-funtional due to Win 10 making some changes in the partiitons. But if you research a little in the forum there are members that stated that they upgrade OKR so that the OS will be Win 10 simply by replacing the install.wim file in the hidden partition. I'm sorry I could not confirm this since I no longer have my Z500. But I would suggest to avoid complicating the present situation try to use the OEM provided OS win 8 only until you have solve your problem.

"I am still not able to get my head over the procedure."

Answer:
The procedure simply requires the following:
a. A 16 Gb or MORE flash drive.
b. download the OKR iso file if you can find it.
c. An introductory copy of Ubuntu.
d. editing the create.ini files using notepad to satisfy your desired sizes of the C and D partitions. Note: you should let the OKR program create the partition sizes and not through Windows or other third party programs.

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 117 of 137

2017-10-25, 12:14 PM

Thank you for your quick reply LenBlazer.

But could you also please tell me the steps after this:

"The procedure simply requires the following:
d. editing the create.ini files using notepad to satisfy your desired sizes of the C and D partitions. Note: you should let the OKR program create the partition sizes and not through Windows or other third party programs."

So I have to get the files from the two hidden partitions "LRS_ESP" and "PBR_DRV" as described by you in page 7 of this thread as these contain the factory image of my system, right.?

And could you please also tell me the next steps.

I'm just too afraid to mess up my laptop and a brand new SSD. I hope you understand.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 118 of 137

2017-10-25, 14:09 PM

wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply LenBlazer.

But could you also please tell me the steps after this:

"The procedure simply requires the following:
d. editing the create.ini files using notepad to satisfy your desired sizes of the C and D partitions. Note: you should let the OKR program create the partition sizes and not through Windows or other third party programs."

So I have to get the files from the two hidden partitions "LRS_ESP" and "PBR_DRV" as described by you in page 7 of this thread as these contain the factory image of my system, right.?

And could you please also tell me the next steps.

I'm just too afraid to mess up my laptop and a brand new SSD. I hope you understand.

First step: Create a bootable usb flash drive. Follow step 1 to 11 from this link.

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 119 of 137

2017-10-25, 14:17 PM

Ok LenBlazer, I have made a bootable USB flash drive using the steps given by you.

Next what do I do.?

Thanks. 

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 120 of 137

2017-10-25, 21:57 PM

wrote:

Ok LenBlazer, I have made a bootable USB flash drive using the steps given by you.

Next what do I do.?

Thanks. 

Based on the procedure given on page 7, Make a folder and name it as shown. This is to be made not in the usb drive but in your running computer/laptop.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms