Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 121 of 137

Re: A DIY Project: Creating a bootable OKR 8 Recovery USB Flash Drive

2017-10-26, 4:42 AM

Ok. Thanks LenBlazer.

I made a folder OKR_USB_Recovery and extracted the contents of the OKR.iso into it except the Recycle Bin and the System Volume Information file as directed by you.

I also made a bootable Ubuntu USB Drive and live booted Ubuntu to copy the two partitions LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV, but I am not able to as they are not mounted.

And when I try to mount them manually, I get an error saying the drive cant be accessed.

I am going in the correct direction I hope.?

Thanks again for your time and waiting for your reply.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 122 of 137

2017-10-26, 8:46 AM

wrote:

Ok. Thanks LenBlazer.

I made a folder OKR_USB_Recovery and extracted the contents of the OKR.iso into it except the Recycle Bin and the System Volume Information file as directed by you.

I also made a bootable Ubuntu USB Drive and live booted Ubuntu to copy the two partitions LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV, but I am not able to as they are not mounted.

And when I try to mount them manually, I get an error saying the drive cant be accessed.

I am going in the correct direction I hope.?

Thanks again for your time and waiting for your reply.

"I made a folder OKR_USB_Recovery and extracted the contents of the OKR.iso into it except the Recycle Bin and the System Volume Information file as directed by you."
Comment: correct.

"I also made a bootable Ubuntu USB Drive and live booted Ubuntu to copy the two partitions LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV, but I am not able to as they are not mounted. And when I try to mount them manually, I get an error saying the drive cant be accessed."

Comment: I don't understand why you need to mount. No mounting is necessary. When Ubuntu runs, the hidden partitions under windows will appear as folders in Ubuntu. So access the hdd of the computer and just copy the folders LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV into the folder OKR8_USB_Recovery. If this can't be done try to manually make the folders LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV in OKR8_USB_Recovery before running Ubuntu. Then When Ubuntu is running open the folders LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV in the hdd and copy all the files under them to the created corresponding folders in OKR8_USB_Recover folder.

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 123 of 137

2017-10-26, 9:37 AM

"Comment: I don't understand why you need to mount. No mounting is necessary. When Ubuntu runs, the hidden partitions under windows will appear as folders in Ubuntu. So access the hdd of the computer and just copy the folders LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV into the folder OKR8_USB_Recovery. If this can't be done try to manually make the folders LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV in OKR8_USB_Recovery before running Ubuntu. Then When Ubuntu is running open the folders LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV in the hdd and copy all the files under them to the created corresponding folders in the OKR8_USB_Recover folder."

Exactly, the hidden partitions should be visible in Ubuntu, but when I am in the Ubuntu environment(Ubuntu 17.04 latest)I am not able to see those partitions in the FIles or the Disks application.

I can only see the WindowsOS(C:), Lenovo(D:), and the two file partitions E: and F:.

To confirm if I actually had those partitions, I installed Partition Wizard in Windows and am able to see all the drives that are supposed to be present including LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV.

So i tried mounting those partitions in the Disks application, and then I get the above error.

Cant understand what the issue might be. Could you please help.?

Thanks again.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 124 of 137

2017-10-26, 11:18 AM

wrote:

"Comment: I don't understand why you need to mount. No mounting is necessary. When Ubuntu runs, the hidden partitions under windows will appear as folders in Ubuntu. So access the hdd of the computer and just copy the folders LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV into the folder OKR8_USB_Recovery. If this can't be done try to manually make the folders LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV in OKR8_USB_Recovery before running Ubuntu. Then When Ubuntu is running open the folders LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV in the hdd and copy all the files under them to the created corresponding folders in the OKR8_USB_Recover folder."

Exactly, the hidden partitions should be visible in Ubuntu, but when I am in the Ubuntu environment(Ubuntu 17.04 latest)I am not able to see those partitions in the FIles or the Disks application.

I can only see the WindowsOS(C:), Lenovo(D:), and the two file partitions E: and F:.

To confirm if I actually had those partitions, I installed Partition Wizard in Windows and am able to see all the drives that are supposed to be present including LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV.

So i tried mounting those partitions in the Disks application, and then I get the above error.

Cant understand what the issue might be. Could you please help.?

Thanks again.

I'm not sure what happen but can only guess. The Ubuntu I'm using at the time is an old version, something like version 6? So maybe there are now changes in the latest version. That's the only probable reason that I can think of. I'll try the latest version later and see if I can access the hidden partitions in another unit but not the Z500.

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 125 of 137

2017-10-26, 11:30 AM

Ok. Thanks a lot. That would be greatly appreciated.

If I can somehow access those partitions and get those two partitions to copy, then I need to replace those two folders in the OKR_USB folder with the files copied from the hidden partitions, right.?

Could you please explain the next steps after fully preparing the USB Flash drive with instructions from page-7 if I manage to copy those files.?

Thanks a lot again.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 126 of 137

2017-10-26, 18:55 PM

I tried version 17.10 and can only see the recovery partition as a folder and not the other partition containing the backup files. But this test is not conclusive since it is not the same unit. So I can't go on with the investigation since I don't have the exact model anymore. Sorry you just have to find other means of accessing those files in the indicated partitions.

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 127 of 137

2017-10-27, 5:47 AM

Yes exactly, the required Recovery Partitions just cannot be accessed in Ubuntu.

Is there any other way I can access those partitions.?

I am really stuck here. Could you please help me out on this.?

Thanks again and waiting for your reply.

Edit:-

I was just going through this topic http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-restore-onekey-recovery-function-after-changing-partition-size-y580-and-maybe-others.688883/page-8, specifically, post #74 by user keoanu.

Is there any way I can copy over the contents of the entire partitions using the command prompt in the OKR environment like keoanu advises.?

Could you take a look at that thread please.?

Also the official Lenovo site says when using Windows 10 to backup recovery partition using the Create Recovery Media option in Windows Recovery. But then there's the issue of the OKR partitions that have to be created first.

So maybe these Windows backed up files can be used instead of the LRS and PBR partition.?

https://support.lenovo.com/in/en/solutions/ht080887

https://support.lenovo.com/in/en/solutions/ht117511

I am just running out of ideas. Really need some help here.

Thanks again.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 128 of 137

2017-10-27, 12:04 PM

"I was just going through this topic http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-restore-onekey-recovery-function-after-changing-parti..., specifically, post #74 by user keoanu.
Is there any way I can copy over the contents of the entire partitions using the command prompt in the OKR environment like keoanu advises.?
Could you take a look at that thread please.?"

Answer:
I have not tried the suggestions and I can't verify it since I don't have the unit anymore. But I remember looking at the id number in the past using diskpart. Be very careful since you might mess up with the partitions. I think what is suggested is another way of accessing the particular partitions of interest to you. The idea presented is to make the partitions visible in windows. Once visible you can now copy all the files in them. You have to decide for yourself whether you want to go in this route or not.
What you can try for the moment is to remove the original hdd and place it in an external usb adapter. Use another unit and boot your Ubuntu live cd. See if you can see the partitions if you connect the usb external drive. If yes then you can now start copying the files. If not then you have to consider the diskpart method.

"Also the official Lenovo site says when using Windows 10 to backup recovery partition using the Create Recovery Media option in Windows Recovery. But then there's the issue of the OKR partitions that have to be created first.
So maybe these Windows backed up files can be used instead of the LRS and PBR partition.?
https://support.lenovo.com/in/en/solutions/ht080887
https://support.lenovo.com/in/en/solutions/ht117511"

Comment:
The procedure presented is using Windows recovery procedure available. It will work but will not restore OKR functionality and you may have to reinstall some of your programs. A better method as presented to you earlier is to image your system using the free Macrium Reflect program. By this there is also no guarantee that OKR will be functioning if restored but your system will be functional including all your installed programs and files. So who needs OKR if you have the Macrium image. Another method also mentioned to you earlier is make a customized Windows installer that will restore some of your personal programs, files and configurations.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 129 of 137

2017-10-27, 12:40 PM

I found this link which you can try if you like. This will be an alternative to what is given in NOTEBOOKReview. The idea is this: If you assign a drive letter to the partitions of interest you can make them visible and accessible (do this in command prompt with admin priveleges). You might have to set also in the settings to show hidden files/directory. Again take cautions and you have to decide on this yourself.

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 130 of 137

2017-10-27, 18:43 PM

Thanks for your reply LenBlazer.

"What you can try for the moment is to remove the original HDD and place it in an external USB adapter. Use another unit and boot your Ubuntu live cd. See if you can see the partitions if you connect the USB external drive. If yes then you can now start copying the files. If not then you have to consider the diskpart method."

-I tried the above method as you said, and luckily I got at least the LRS partition to show up in Ubuntu, even though again the PBR partition never mounted. So I copied the LRS partition to my HDD.

"I found this link which you can try if you like. This will be an alternative to what is given in NOTEBOOKReview. The idea is this: If you assign a drive letter to the partitions of interest you can make them visible and accessible (do this in command prompt with admin privileges). You might have to set also in the settings to show hidden files/directory. Again take cautions and you have to decide on this yourself."

-THIS. You really saved me with this. I used diskpart to mount the PRB partition in the other laptop and voila, it showed up as a drive. Copied it and reinserted the HDD into the Y50 to check if it was still working properly.

And yes, the HDD is still perfectly intact and all the partitions are like what they were before. The Y50 booted up like always.

So now I have the OKR.iso extracted and the "create.ini" files modified according to requirements.

I also have the the files from the LRS and the PBR partition which I have moved into the extracted OKR.iso directory to replace their counterparts.

The bootable USB flash drive is also ready.

So now, I have to copy the entire contents of the OKR folder into the USB and boot it up using the NOVO button by changing the boot order right.? And the process will be as described in the 1st post of this thread.?

Another thing LenBlazer, the OS installed will be Win 8, so will I be able to update to Win 10 after that.? If so, then how.?

Thanks again for all the time that you have taken out to help a fellow user. You are a real savior.

Looking forward to your reply. Will take the final plunge only after that.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms