Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 131 of 137

Re: A DIY Project: Creating a bootable OKR 8 Recovery USB Flash Drive

2017-10-28, 0:25 AM

wrote:

Thanks for your reply LenBlazer.

"What you can try for the moment is to remove the original HDD and place it in an external USB adapter. Use another unit and boot your Ubuntu live cd. See if you can see the partitions if you connect the USB external drive. If yes then you can now start copying the files. If not then you have to consider the diskpart method."

-I tried the above method as you said, and luckily I got at least the LRS partition to show up in Ubuntu, even though again the PBR partition never mounted. So I copied the LRS partition to my HDD.

"I found this link which you can try if you like. This will be an alternative to what is given in NOTEBOOKReview. The idea is this: If you assign a drive letter to the partitions of interest you can make them visible and accessible (do this in command prompt with admin privileges). You might have to set also in the settings to show hidden files/directory. Again take cautions and you have to decide on this yourself."

-THIS. You really saved me with this. I used diskpart to mount the PRB partition in the other laptop and voila, it showed up as a drive. Copied it and reinserted the HDD into the Y50 to check if it was still working properly.

And yes, the HDD is still perfectly intact and all the partitions are like what they were before. The Y50 booted up like always.

So now I have the OKR.iso extracted and the "create.ini" files modified according to requirements.

I also have the the files from the LRS and the PBR partition which I have moved into the extracted OKR.iso directory to replace their counterparts.

The bootable USB flash drive is also ready.

So now, I have to copy the entire contents of the OKR folder into the USB and boot it up using the NOVO button by changing the boot order right.? And the process will be as described in the 1st post of this thread.?

Another thing LenBlazer, the OS installed will be Win 8, so will I be able to update to Win 10 after that.? If so, then how.?

Thanks again for all the time that you have taken out to help a fellow user. You are a real savior.

Looking forward to your reply. Will take the final plunge only after that.

Do the "Hdd replacement guide with OKR8 functionality" Procedure 3: A to I.
Then restart your laptop. See if the system is working. Do the testing part to test the OKR functionality and create your first backup.

To update to Win 10:

1. Download media creation tool from microsoft site.
2. Run the tool and download the iso file.
3. Right click the iso file and select mount.
4. Run the setup file from the mounted drive to start the upgrade.
5. If ask to provide the product key just ignore and select next.

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 132 of 137

2017-10-28, 3:44 AM

Thank you for your reply LenBlazer.

Will do like the procedure says as soon as possible and keep you updated.

Hopefully this will be the last of me pestering you. :smileyhappy:

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 133 of 137

2017-10-28, 14:11 PM

wrote:

Thank you for your reply LenBlazer.

Will do like the procedure says as soon as possible and keep you updated.

Hopefully this will be the last of me pestering you. :smileyhappy:

Wish you luck and all the best!

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 134 of 137

2017-10-30, 7:06 AM

Hello LenBlazer,

I really don't know what to say. Thanks to you, and all the posts that I referred to in this forum and various other sites, I now have a properly functioning and brand new like blazing fast Y50 with a working OneKey Recovery.

You are a real saviour man.

Thanks a lot again for taking your time out to reply to my queries and helping out a fellow Notebook user.

For those who might face a similar problem in the future, I am listing out the steps that I took to move FROM

1. Lenovo Y50 with stock 1tb Hybrid HDD, a bloated C: drive, functional OKR Recovery even after partitioning, TO
  2. Lenovo Y50 with new Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD, factory reset of Windows 8.1 (condition as in when the laptop was bought) and upgrade to Windows 10, working OKR Recovery with customized partitions.

Requirements:-

1. 16/32 GB USB Flash Drive

2. New HDD/SSD

3. HDD USB casing with cable

4. Tools to take apart the laptop

5. OKR_Win8.iso file (search on google)

Procedure:-

1. Create a bootable USB flash drive 16/32 GB minimum. Follow step 1 to 11 from this link https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200124(v=ws.11).aspx

2. Download the OKR.iso file and extract it to a temporary location (OKR_USB_Recovery for convenience) in HDD or any drive. Open this folder and delete the Recycle Bin and System Volume Information folder leaving the rest as it is.

3. Using this link https://www.howtogeek.com/197296/how-to-use-the-diskpart-utility-to-assign-and-remove-drive-letters/ assign drive letters to “LRS_ESP” and “PBR_DRV” partitions so that they are mounted. Copy all the data from these partitions into their respective named folders anywhere on the local drive.

4. Open the OKR_USB_Recovery/Okr8 folder and delete the “LRS_ESP” and “PBR_DRV” folders present in it. Now move the previously copied “LRS_ESP” and “PBR_DRV” partition folders to OKR_USB_Recovery/Okr8 folder.

5. Open the create.ini files present in the OKR_USB_Recovery and OKR_USB_Recovery/Okr8 folders and edit them according to this post https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Backing-up-Z500-Touch-Hdd/m-p/1203750#M81379 with your language and required partition sizes. Save the create.ini files and exit.

6. Now copy the entire contents of the OKR_USB_Recovery folder wherein all the changes were made to the root of the created bootable USB Flash Drive. Your Recovery USB Disk is now complete. This can later be used to carry out the same factory reset as and when needed.

7. Switch off your laptop and replace your drive if needed or not depending on your requirement.

8. Insert the USB Flash Drive and restart by pressing the NOVO button. Access the BIOS and a.Disable Secure Boot and b.Enable USB boot. Switch off and restart using the NOVO button and Boot the USB using the boot menu.

9. A Chinese menu will appear if the USB boots properly. Check the only checkbox and press the button below it. This step will only create the partitions as specified in the create.ini file as required by OKR. Press OK when it says ALL DONE and switch off the laptop.

10. With the USB still inserted, boot up using the NOVO key and go to System Recovery. Select “Restore from Initial Backup” and let the system restore it. This step restores the system using the LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV folders to its initial factory state. Switch off when done. Your factory reset is now complete.

11. Remove the USB Drive and Power on your laptop. Complete the initial setup. Check if the drives have been created properly. Press the NOVO button and check if OKR works by backing up your system. This completes the initial tutorial.

12. For updating to Windows 10, download the latest Media Creation Tool and select update this system. (I made an OKR backup after this step to achieve a clean Windows 10 system with a working OKR for future factory resets all the while preserving the Recovery USB Flash Drive also.)

After following these steps, you will have a Windows 8/8.1 Recovery USB Drive and a Windows 10 OKR Clean Backup to restore your system from.

This tutorial just happens to be a crude version of the various detailed Tutorials that LenBlazer has posted in this thread for various states and conditions. You can always refer to them in case of any problems.

They are majorly present in Post 4, Post 29, Post 31, Post 41, Post 44, Post 64, Post 95, Post 99.  

Again, a big Thumbs-Up to LenBlazer.

Peace :smileyhappy:

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 135 of 137

2017-10-31, 13:07 PM

To make things a little easier in unhiding LRS_ESP and PBR_DRV so that you can copy the files, use MiniTool Partition Wizard (this is free) as shown.

Options

13 Posts

10-22-2017

India

45 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 136 of 137

2017-10-31, 15:12 PM

Yes, that can also be done. 

But before using diskpart, I actually did exactly the above procedure.

The drives could be seen in Explorer but I wasn't able to copy any files from PBR drive, it threw up some system error. 

I guess the diskpart option is the safe method. Just an opinion. 

Thanks again. 

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 137 of 137

2017-10-31, 18:16 PM

wrote:

Yes, that can also be done. 

But before using diskpart, I actually did exactly the above procedure.

The drives could be seen in Explorer but I wasn't able to copy any files from PBR drive, it threw up some system error. 

I guess the diskpart option is the safe method. Just an opinion. 

Thanks again. 

My investigation results in one file under the System Volume Information that can't be copied: Index something. The installer still function as expected without it. Anyway whatever is convenient to the Interested person will do. There are now three options for this task to consider.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)