Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 51 of 137

Re: A DIY Project: Creating a Disaster Recovery System Image

2014-03-28, 18:18 PM

Here is a guide to backup Win 8.1 including your programs which can be use in case disaster will occur later on.

Restoring Win 8.1.JPG

Options

10 Posts

04-01-2014

USA

9 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 52 of 137

2014-04-01, 19:25 PM

Thank you for all the steps and work you have done.

I do have a question for you.

I am wanting to swap the 24gb ssd for a 128gb ssd and keep the 1tb hd for video,music,pic storage.

My y510p was set with OS on C drive and Drivers on D drive(the ssd)

will this method work by allowing me to have both the OS and the drivers on the new ssd when I go to recover/install the backup?  Also, will it allow Windows to know that any new/old driver is now on the C drive (want to make the ssd into my boot OS drive)?

Thanks again,

David

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 53 of 137

2014-04-01, 20:42 PM

wrote:

Thank you for all the steps and work you have done.

I do have a question for you.

I am wanting to swap the 24gb ssd for a 128gb ssd and keep the 1tb hd for video,music,pic storage.

My y510p was set with OS on C drive and Drivers on D drive(the ssd)

will this method work by allowing me to have both the OS and the drivers on the new ssd when I go to recover/install the backup?  Also, will it allow Windows to know that any new/old driver is now on the C drive (want to make the ssd into my boot OS drive)?

Thanks again,

David

I have only use the above guides in my own unit which is a Z500 Touch. The way I look at your unit the 24 gb is msata ssd and act as a cache. So that the arrangement is that you have the Win 8 OS for C and Lenovo for D for the drivers and the hidden OKR user backup files totalling 25 gb. If this will be the case IMO the guides will work. But if you want booting in msata ssd I'm not sure because I have'nt tried it. If the ssd is of the ordinary 2.5" ssd and place in the hdd location the guide should work.

There are owners of Y510p that replaces their msata ssd to a larger one like yours and boot from it but I haven't read them discussing about okr. Try to research further before pushing through your project to avoid breaking okr functionality.

Options

10 Posts

04-01-2014

USA

9 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 54 of 137

2014-04-01, 20:57 PM

thanks for replying.

Yes, I have been searching for a good while now.  I read on one post about how to put OKR back in the system 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y510p-How-to-clone-migrate-install-Windows-8-onto-mydigitalSSD/td-p/1390535

and even went to the site mentioned to get the OKR iso

I can see how both your method and their method would work but the thing not mentioned (and I doubt it is just my system) when I do the backup image or so, and then reinstall it, is windows 8 (8.1 in my case) going to look for the drivers on the old "D" drive as I would prefer to have them on the same C drive when done with the new ssd (and it will be m.2 as I have one already).

what i have now

C drive:  named OS and is where windows and all but drivers are

D drive:  named Lenovo (this is the ssd) and is where drivers are located

what I would like:

C drive to be the m.2 ssd drive named OS, Windows or whatever name and have windows, drivers, few programs that I use often

D drive (the standard hdd 1tb) named Storage and have my music, movies and non-frequently used programs

I hope I am helping give the info needed.

I was thinking of using Macrium Reflect imaging software but I do not know if it will

A: move the drivers on the new C drive

B: tell windows now where to locate the drivers

C: not sure if can resize old partition to fit new partition

I guess the main thing is that I am worried about is after moving everything to the new ssd and booting from ssd if windows does not know where to locate drivers will I have a non responsive system.

The OKR is nice but isn't that the same as a Image/Backup Recovery program?

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 55 of 137

2014-04-01, 21:44 PM

The drivers in the D drive are just installer drivers so that it has nothing to do with the OS. The drivers needed by the OS are already being installed when OKR is initialized and restore the unit to factory default. The importance of D is that it is the default backup image file location for OKR.

The reason I have to make the guides because the commercial programs such as Acronis and Macrium Reflect does not make OKR functional after cloning as reported by others. I prefer to use OKR  because it is part of my unit which I paid for. Without it the purpose of the NoVO button is reduce to only the bios setup and boot menu options. The OKR program is similar to the backup plus it does an incremental backup which is important if you don't want to restore to factory default but to a backup date after you made the settings plus installed programs plus other personal files. No more long update download times and reregistering your programs if you have the user backup files.

Although I'm not sure about this, if you can make the msata ssd to be the bootdisk then the guide might work. I read somewhere that one owner removed the hdd and install the OS to the ssd. After the installation he put back the hdd which is now acting as data disk.

I would like to suggest to make the usb recovery flash drive and also make a copy of the user okr backup files. Once you have this you can experiment with what you think might work. In this way you can always go back to your present situation if the plan does not work.

BTW, resizing the partitions will break OKR.

Options

10 Posts

04-01-2014

USA

9 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 56 of 137

2014-04-01, 21:49 PM

Ok, i understand it more now but....

Now the question is, if resizing partition will break OKR then that will happen reguardless by changing to m2 ssd since it will be at most a 256gb not a 1tb as the original.

Or

Are you saying I need to leave the OKR partition the same size.

Sorry if I am being difficult just trying to learn.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 57 of 137

2014-04-01, 21:56 PM

The guide for making the usb recovery flash drive provides the procedure on how to resize your C and D partitions. This will be done by the EVOZI program without breaking OKR. This is why this program is very important. Without it one will have a very difficult time making OKR function after making changes to the existing partitions.

Options

10 Posts

04-01-2014

USA

9 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 58 of 137

2014-04-01, 22:01 PM

ok, will make all the backups and work on this in a week after I get the m2 sata (didnt want to buy until i knew what to do) and will post back with results. 

I am trying to make sure i have my ducks in a row so that if a problem arises I can handle it or better yet....no problem arise would be great

thanks again for support

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 59 of 137

2014-04-01, 22:30 PM

Also make a backup of the drivers in case you want to reinstall one of them later.

Options

10 Posts

04-01-2014

USA

9 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 60 of 137

2014-04-01, 22:33 PM
did that already in preparation (and just because I do normally) with driver booster pro from iobit

unless you recommend something else
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms