Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

02-24-2016

Greece

3 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 1 of 2

Can't Switch from integrated to Dedicated GPU Lenovo IdeaPad Z570

2016-02-24, 2:38 AM

Integrated:
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Dedicated:
NVIDIA GT 540M

Description of issue:
Integrated is acting as main even when dedicated should take over (e.g. gaming). This causes problems, unacceptable ones, during gameplay when an intergated GPU just won't cut it. Framerate (with Vertical Sync off) reaches 160~ FPS when idle in-game but when minimal effects appear on screen a huge drop in FPS is witnessed (down to 5-10 FPS). This renders the game (League Of Legends) unplayable despite the low demandings it has. Not an issue of the game, as other more demanding games have same problems.

What I've tried:
Sorted from common solution to less common
Tried setting preffered GPU processor in NVIDIA control panel ---> Manage 3D settings ---> General settings. Option is greyed out and stack at "integrated graphics processor".
Tried setting game-specific preferences in NVIDIA control panel. Didn't help at all. Monitoring GPU's activity with GPU-z showed a case of high GPU usage on Intel and almost iddle on NVIDIA.

Tried running executable with a chosen processor by right clicking on it, option is greyed out, can't choose one of two processors.

Changed both GPU's settings to performance instead of quality, checked max performance over long battery life. Still not a big change.
Headed to BIOS to disable integrated GPU, found that only option is either UMA only / Optimus, Optimus was chosen, left as is.

Checked for updates on drivers, didn't help.

Tried disabling Intel GPU through Device Manager to force NVIDIA to work instead, PC crashed.
Tried uninstalling Intel driver to force NVIDIA to work instead. PC crashed, driver operating but didn't appear in unistalling programms list (through control panel), reinstalled, overwritted excisting file, reappeared in forementioned list.

Tried disabling and re-enabling NVIDIA in Device Manager, no change.
Tried uninstalling and re-installing NVIDIA driver, no change.
Tweaked most options in Intel panel to higher performance, no change.

Solution proposed by user on similar problem:
Even though GeForce Experience shows to be updated, try updating through Device Manager. NVIDIA first, Intel after that. Then it's okay.

My version of this:
NVIDIA *did* update despite GeForce Experience showing to be updated. Intel didn't. Problem remains.

I may have forgotten something I tried.
Other info:
GPU-z shows low usage of NVIDIA, close to none.
System tray icon says "NVIDIA usage level: none" even in-game. Sometimes got a few lights flickering on it or colors, but just for a little while with no change to gameplay.
PC recently formatted, drivers reinstalled from Support.lenovo site, correct OS version, only skipped Utility programms such as Lenovo Boot Optimizer, ReadyComm and a few others. All other components seem to be working properly.

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Options

7 Posts

02-24-2016

Greece

3 Signins

34 Page Views

Re: Can't Switch from integrated to Dedicated GPU Lenovo IdeaPad Z570

2016-02-24, 21:55 PM
Got the answer there's just a switch on the laptop that allows NVIDIA to be used. I expected to find at least a switch on BIOS or something.

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

7 Posts

02-24-2016

Greece

3 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re: Can't Switch from integrated to Dedicated GPU Lenovo IdeaPad Z570

2016-02-24, 21:55 PM
Got the answer there's just a switch on the laptop that allows NVIDIA to be used. I expected to find at least a switch on BIOS or something.

3 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms