Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

43 Posts

07-15-2010

Melbourne

266 Signins

728 Page Views

• Views: 728
  • Message 1 of 6

Cold boot OK, reboot = stuck on windows loading screen (rapiddrive?)

2010-08-01, 10:47 AM

I have a lenovo y560 (w7 64 home premium) w/ a strange issue - if I reboot the PC it will be stuck in the windows loading screen with no HDD activity.
If I power off and power on, its fine every time.

I tried a startup repair (automatic) which actually broke it entirely, it couldn't detect BCD or some similar error msg. Tried command line recovery with bootrec, bootsect, no dice, it couldn't even see any installations. So I re-imaged the PC using recovery disks... and the problem is still there! LOL

The complication is that its got rapiddrive. You can see the SSD in device manager and disk management, however Lenovo is hiding everything behind its software, e.g. in disk management you don't see any partitions active at all! I don't know if this has anything to do with it. 

Anyone got any hints where to look? I am so confused as to why its a problem if its a reboot, but not when its a cold boot.

Options

13866 Posts

12-07-2009

Czech Republic

9008 Signins

170464 Page Views

• Views: 170464
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Cold boot OK, reboot = stuck on windows loading screen (rapiddrive?)

2010-08-01, 13:28 PM

re-install graphic card drivers, press f8 to load safe mode to check the issue persists on safe mode, too ( may having graphic card driver issue ), try to re-seat your ram sticks and post back if it doesn't fix your issue.

Due to my absence, I may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

https://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Options

43 Posts

07-15-2010

Melbourne

266 Signins

728 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re: Cold boot OK, reboot = stuck on windows loading screen (rapiddrive?)

2010-08-03, 5:17 AM

I'll check on the drivers. I don't think its graphics as I'd actually attempted a startup repair (on windows prompting ) before when it fails, and startup repair can't see any windows installations (even using command line boot recovery utilities like bootsect). Also this is a fresh restore via restore disks, same drivers as from factory.

Nevertheless I'll take a look.

As for loose RAM, unlikely since zero problems when actually running including high-end games for hours. But I'll check also. 

Options

43 Posts

07-15-2010

Melbourne

266 Signins

728 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

FIXED: Cold boot OK, reboot = stuck on windows loading screen (rapiddrive?)

2010-08-03, 8:26 AM

a.) uninstall KB971033. Now it still sometimes 'hangs' on loading windows screen, no disk, but after a minute or so keeps going. Better. 

... noticed timeout event under 'IASTOR' device in my event viewer occupying around 90 seconds from the first few events to all the rest of the usual startup services loading. Hmmm intel drivers...

b.) uninstall intel rapid storage drivers.
hey presto. 
In device manager now back to standard windows driver but lappie doesn't seem to mind (or be slower).

b.) uninstall intel rapid storage drivers.

hey presto. 

In device manager now back to standard windows AHCI 1.0 driver but laptop doesn't seem to mind (or be slower).

This is abysmal from Lenovo - did I mention that the wireless driver that shipped was giving me ~200-500kb/second performance, until I uninstalled it and installed the manufacturer (Atheros) driver. Do you guys even test your configs / drivers? I realise the chipset and driver is intel but surely someone would have picked it up during product testing.

You know, the desktop grunts @ work keep warning people off lenovos because of driver issues. I knew I should have listened to them.... 

Options

2143 Posts

07-14-2009

USA

4807 Signins

93056 Page Views

• Views: 93056
  • Message 5 of 6

Re: FIXED: Cold boot OK, reboot = stuck on windows loading screen (rapiddrive?)

2010-08-03, 13:27 PM

Try the newest drivers and updates from THIS Lenovo download page,

if you have not already.

Options

43 Posts

07-15-2010

Melbourne

266 Signins

728 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

Re: FIXED: Cold boot OK, reboot = stuck on windows loading screen (rapiddrive?)

2010-08-03, 13:48 PM

same ones I had. I have no idea how the dates on that page are so new but if I compare the version numbers they're the same as on my laptop. Its a month old so not expecting any newer drivers. 

to add offence to injury those wireless drivers don't work for me at all. The ones on my recovery partition offer bad performance. I had to go straight to Atheros. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms