Options

2 Posts

03-06-2014

Canada

13 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 21 of 38

Re: DO NOT buy y510p SLI! They are all defective !

2014-05-14, 16:03 PM

there is no way rafael1111 acurately dropped 18 degrees on the Ultrabay GPU by just adding the U3 Cooling pad

Options

2 Posts

02-22-2014

Calgary, AB

3 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 22 of 38

2014-05-14, 16:42 PM

My Y510P with 755M SLI works great for the most part.

The reviews about the wireless network card poor performance and needing to be reset is extremely accurate.

If you leave your laptop on constantly, the wireless is going to start performing poorly until it doesn't work at all. A reboot fixes. Probably a driver issue but I have the latest drivers.

First thing I did was download all new drivers, replace the standard harddrive and put in a SSD. Installed a fresh copy of windows 8.1 without any junk software, just the Lenovo drivers and apps.

Options

2 Posts

03-06-2014

Canada

13 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 23 of 38

2014-05-14, 16:44 PM

The Y510P SLI is or was still the best bang for the buck.... I've had for over 4 months I like it very much... yes it has a heat issue that you will need to overcome to preserve the longevity... Luckily on my unit I have had no issue with heat on the CPU or Integrated GPU... both topping out in low 80's under heavy load... However my UltraGPU is a problem getting up into the high 90's....most of the solutions that have any effect will void the warranty... Cooling pads have little effect...specifically the U3 (which I also own), regardless of how the fans are placed...Undervolting is better and won't void your warranty... removing and running without the bottom casing isn't ideal but very effective, also won't void your warranty and could be ok for the right person in the right situation... using mainly as a desktop replacement... (I do this) I even leave the screws out when snapping the back on.... to bring with me...and just the clips seem to keep it very secure.. if you drop a 6lb laptop from any higher than 3-4ft your pretty much pooched anyway.

Once my Warranty Ends I will Repaste the Ultrabay GPU... and cut the plastic Shroud blocking the Ultrabay GPU fans

Options

2 Posts

05-18-2014

Germany

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 24 of 38

2014-05-18, 7:22 AM
Hey, bought the y510p with 755m sli just yesterday and i have one question: ran some benchmarks and no matter how hard the graphiccards are pushed, i cant hear the fan of the ultrabay 755m card on the right side. Only the integrated 755m with the fan output on the left side seems to be working. Is this "normal" or do i have a broken ultrabay 755m?
Options

880 Posts

04-07-2014

Sverige

762 Signins

8691 Page Views

• Views: 8691
  • Message 25 of 38

2014-05-18, 17:03 PM
you need to go into nvidia panel and activate SLI if it's disable by default if so thats why your ultrabay one isnt making a noise since it's not doing any process.
Options

2 Posts

05-18-2014

Germany

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 26 of 38

2014-05-18, 18:44 PM
Thanks for the reply, aleeady fixed the "problem". Seems like my y510p wasn't a new one or a production failure. Them fan of the ultrabay 755m was fixed with tape, so it couldnt move ^^ removed the tape and all runs smoothly now :)
Options

9351 Posts

11-27-2007

SK

15516 Signins

2040234 Page Views

• Views: 2040234
  • Message 27 of 38

2014-05-18, 19:33 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

3 Posts

08-27-2014

Birmingham, Alabama

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 28 of 38

2014-08-27, 14:59 PM

I literally made an account and did all this jazz to post on these forums. I took the time out of my day to register for more spam mail in my account just so I could come post on here literally because of all the RIDICULOUS posts that some of you are posting.

Background about me, I've worked in networking, computer repair, building computers, managed services for high end companies in my area and have been rebuilding and fixing computers for about 12 years now. The exaggeration in some of these posts are the most over the top bull**bleep** I have ever read. Now let me put my two cents in because I feel that people who are coming to this forum (it is one of the top posts on every search having to do with y510p and SLI) should get the real idea of what's going on with this laptop and not just believe the exaggerated statements.

This laptop performs perfectly fine for what it is made of. I for one can download nvidia inspector right now and play any game that is considered demanding that I own (Bioshock Infinite, Wildstar, Crysis 3, Watchdogs)  and clearly see both of the graphics cards reach 100% of it's use. If a graphics card doesn't take 100% of itself to play with the settings you have currently in the game then you aren't going to see it hit 100% on both regardless of what you think it demands to run those settings.

The heat issues could be a problem yes, but what I think people don't understand is how airflow works in a laptop and how it differs compared to how ambient heat works in a desktop. Laptops are **bleep** good at getting the heat out of the computer or negating it to somewhere else. I myself have taken multiple graphics cards out of desktops and laptops to blast the gpu with a heat gun reaching up to 600+ degrees and then put it back together right back into the desktop and used it with no issues afterwards (this is a type of repair for graphics cards that have soldering issues from the factory to begin with and loses connection with the board). 98 degrees celcius is quite a good bit of heat for a laptop coming out of it and certainly is alarmin to some people who don't know much about computers. These chips can perform perfectly fine at those operating temperatures and from what I see do not get scaled down by the driver or anything to lower heat. I even overclock mine to 770m clocks and voltages and it did rise in temps now when I play games but it never skips a beat and never lowers anything down or effects performances at all.

Anyone that you are reading on here that bought a laptop and tried to save $100 by not buying the second VGA slot with the laptop is an idiot to begin with because 9/10 times they did't read anything about the laptop or what it needs to operate on both graphics cards. This technology lenovo has in the laptop is one of the first of its kind and definitely one of the first consumer/user laptops to have SLI equipped into it. The reason I say this is because it specifically states everywhere about this laptop that it MUST REQUIRE THE 170W POWER BRICK TO USE SLI AT ALL. Not only that but you really think having SLI that it doesn't use different drivers, computer bioses, graphics bios, maybe more software to control it on the pc.

Another issue I seem to notice about alot of posts is that no one seems to open up nvidia control panel and take a look around at the settings, I'm not sure why it happens or what the idea behind it is but every time I update my driver from nvidia it automatically disables SLI in the "3D Settings" under "Manage PhysX and SLI" link. One click to change it then apply and bam all good to go. Not only that but another thing I've noticed is that people also have no freaking clue that they need to take their power settings off of "Balanced", "Power Saving", or anything else BUT "High Performance". If you don't do these last two things your SLI will be cut off or limited to a certain percentage I believe. Bottom line is that alot of people tried to skim $150 off a laptop that is already extremely cheap pice wise for something with SLI and the specs it comes with and they got bit in the ass over it and just blame blame blame it's all lenovo.

I've had this laptop for over 6 months now and I literally sold my desktop because I stopped using it after I got this. It plays everything I want and does everything I want extremely well and is easily the best laptop I have owned (total of about 6) hands down. If you are thinking about purchasing it, do it. You won't be dissapointed. If you have problems the first thing you should do is search google and be smart about it (don't just agree with the first post you read about someone flaming it, which is why I came here to write this novel of a post in the first place), try reinstalling your drivers, make sure you have everything that you are supposed to have to begin with, and please pleaes please check your settings and possibly compare it to the same setup from someone else, if you can't figure it out call Lenovo and get some help from them or ask a real computer tech to help you. Not the exact order of these solutions but you get the idea. 

Sorry for the novel post, hope it really helps someone out with a y510p, and hope it helps people deture away from the bash lenovo they are all defective BS I see. The laptop is worth the money, it makes my friends' "high-end" desktops look like ancient hardware, and it is definitely worth the price for what you get. Thanks for reading. Have a good day! =)

Options

392 Posts

07-12-2014

London

346 Signins

5196 Page Views

• Views: 5196
  • Message 29 of 38

2014-08-27, 15:18 PM

My Y510P SLI works fine :). Only thing i can complain about is the outer casing being ruff, hurts your rist if your gaming on the laptops keyboard for long time.

Lenovo y510p - Intel Quad-core 4th gen i7-4700MQ @3.40Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB HDD 8GB SSD - 1080p FHD - Nvidia 755m SLI
Options

3 Posts

08-27-2014

Birmingham, Alabama

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 30 of 38

2014-08-27, 15:21 PM
Same here friend, just trying to let people know the truth about these laptops and to disregard the blatant lie that is the title of this post "DO NOT buy y510p SLI! They are all defective !" .....Annoys the hell out of me to read something that is such a blatant lie. ALL? ALL OF THEM? AND ONLY half caps? what gives?

=D
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete