Options

382 Posts

11-13-2013

Canada

684 Signins

5978 Page Views

• Views: 5978
  • Message 31 of 38

Re: DO NOT buy y510p SLI! They are all defective !

2014-08-27, 18:43 PM

@Jacob: While it sound like you are having no issues with your laptop there are MANY users that are having multiple different issues, some have to do with poor manufacturing (too much thermal past on my ultrabay card causing them to IMMEDIATELY throttle when running anything that used SLI), poor design decision (cooling both the CPU and onboard Nvidia GPU with one heatpipe/fan combo, crappy intel wifi cards that can't keep a wifi signal stable for more then 10 mins) and horrible customer service.  Maybe saying all of them are bad was a bit of an exaggeration but lenovo isn't doing much about these issues either. In my case they refused to acknowledge that the ultrabay cards bought to add to single card versions of the laptop were not compatible with laptops and it took 6 months of people complaining before Lenovo even acknowledged the problem (they finally have a fix but you have to mail in your laptop for repairs and they don't even bother listing this as a know issue so most people have no idea about the fix, let alone the problem). Then there is the issue with Lenovo advertising all the ultrabay accessories you can buy but never making any of them available (additonal fans, bluray players, etc).

Overall this laptop is a hit and miss and people need to be aware of these issues before they by them.

Options

1 Posts

09-21-2014

Wapakoneta, Ohio

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 32 of 38

2014-09-21, 7:10 AM

I know why it is over heating the problem is are you using drivers that allow more fps you need to downgrade to the most recent non beta driver cause ive heard using the beta drivers causes overheating cause it allows more frames

Options

382 Posts

11-13-2013

Canada

684 Signins

5978 Page Views

• Views: 5978
  • Message 33 of 38

2014-09-21, 12:49 PM

Um no, this happens with all versions of the drivers.

wrote:

I know why it is over heating the problem is are you using drivers that allow more fps you need to downgrade to the most recent non beta driver cause ive heard using the beta drivers causes overheating cause it allows more frames

Options

25 Posts

09-08-2014

Canada

19 Signins

228 Page Views

• Views: 228
  • Message 34 of 38

2014-09-22, 15:50 PM
Good observation :) But new users should be getting the Y50, performance wise the GTX 860M is about the same as the 2xGTX 750M SLI. But of course the new Maxwell GPU uses less than half the power and produces much less heat :)

1 Posts

07-02-2015

Craiova

10 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 35 of 38

2015-07-03, 12:03 PM

Hi

Any updates on this matter, does the latest BIOS version helps with reducing the overheating SLI card a bit ? 

I have a Y501p but my ultrabay card burnt ( not because of heat as far as i can tell ) , it must have been a power surge or something similar , the connector where the ultrabay and the motherboard merge together burnt , which was a shame since i seldom activated the SLI  , most of the time it was disabled.

After six months or so i managed to find a motherboard and replace the old one, now i'm thinking about getting a SLI card but i'm a bit skeptical . I did not watched the temperatures in the past but i remember that it got really hot in the right side when the SLI was active, a 750M is pretty expensive on ebay and its a used one,also i can only find in USA and i live in Europe,  i don't want to spend 300 usd only to see it throttling because of high temps . 

Options

2 Posts

10-26-2015

estonia

7 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 36 of 38

2015-10-29, 17:03 PM

Hello 

I bought my y510p in 2015 july. For now, my laptop has broken second time. I have 4gb nvidia 755m gpu and thread seems so accurate. At first brokedown a vga port and something in the cooling system got burnt. Atm i dont have diagnosis of second repair but it broked identically with first brokedown. And after first repair laptop got much more game and directx crashes. 

I have a strong sense that i want a backcharge and move to acer v nitro.

Options

2 Posts

10-26-2015

estonia

7 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 37 of 38

2015-11-03, 12:57 PM

And vga got burnt second time like i suspected. For now for me it is a dead end with this machine...

Options

1 Posts

12-29-2015

ID, USA

4 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 38 of 38

2015-12-29, 19:33 PM

Hi all, sorry to bump an old topic but I saw this while I was researching something else. I stopped because it seems that the fix I got for my overheating issue on my sli'd y510p didn't get around to as many as I thought it would. The main problem is that Lenovo throttled the fan and locked that setting in the bios, and the only time the fan hits 100% is when dust removal is working.

There's a free program called Auto Hotkey that allows you to write a script to do a certain function on repeat, and I use that to continually run the dust removal program. Temps went from (BioShock Infinite highest graphics settings, cooling pad on, stock voltages) averaging 85*- 95*C to 65*- 75*C

Ok, so once you've downloaded and installed AutoHotkey, right click on your desktop and select New> AutoHotkey Script. It will place a shiny new AHK icon on your desktop (probably named something creative like 'New AHK Script.') Right click on that icon and select Edit Script. It'll open in notepad with an .ahk extention (conversely you can just open a new notepad file and give it a .ahk extention, see the tutorials on how to make your own scrips) and a few lines of code. Select the code and delete it, then copy and paste in my code:

^!s::
IfWinExist Energy Management
    WinActivate
else
    Run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Energy Management\Energy Management.exe"

Loop {
     Sleep 3000
     ControlGet bEnabled, Enabled,, Energy Management
     If bEnabled
          ControlClick, OK, Energy Management
else
       ControlClick, DustStart, Energy Management
}

ControlClick, DustStart, Energy Management

return

The only thing you may want to change is the first line,

^!s::

This is the actual hotkey part.

^ is control

! is alt

# is the Windows logo key

+ is shift

< is the left pair (<+ is left shift, <^ is left ctrl)

> is the righy pair (>+ is right shift, >^ is right ctrl)

:: ends the hotkey

and letters are letters.

I know it should go without saying, but SAVE AS .ahk BEFORE YOU EXIT!!!

You run it by either double clicking on the icon or right click> run script, and then you can hit your fancy new hotkey and boom! 100% fan power in fun little bursts.

Game on, my friends

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete