Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

10-05-2009

us

42 Signins

582 Page Views

• Views: 582
  • Message 1 of 4

Disassembly help

2009-10-12, 22:41 PM

I did a search and could not find any helpful information. Other than these issues I think the ideapad series is great. The screen is bright and clear, it looks slicker than most notebooks I've seen, it seems well built, and I haven't come across any heat issues. I get nothing but compliments from it.

I am wondering if there is a service manual for the y450 notebook. My internal speakers have never worked. I don't hear a sound when I first boot (the bios option is set to emit sound on boot.) I know it's not a driver issue, I do not get internal speaker sound with  Vista 32-bit (Original Image), Windows 7 64-bit, or Ubuntu 9.04-9.10. The fact that it doesn't play a sound at boot confirms it. I have worked on a few of my friend's notebooks, replacing fans, keyboards, etc; all had service manuals available for download that were clear and concise.

I decided to poke around to see if I could find anything. I took off the hard drive panel and noticed right away there is a cable not connected to anything, it's right where the "dolby digital" decal is. It's not the Wlan card, I noticed there is a third antenna not being utilized.

As of now I have issues with the speakers and power - I have to move the A/C adaptor around to get it to charge, sometimes it wont charge at all, then randomly it will start charging again. I want to wait until the semester is over with until I send my noteback in to Lenovo for a fix - They told me 7 - 10 business days but after reading how long it took for others I can't wait that long. I want to dig deeper to see if this cable is the cause for no sound. How far can I go until I am voiding the warranty? I don't want to proceed if there is no service guide. Other notebooks I worked on called for prying the plastic at strategic areas to find hidden screws, this looks to be the case with this one.

Options

25 Posts

10-05-2009

us

42 Signins

582 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: y450 Service Manual

2009-10-20, 18:19 PM

Bump. No one can add insight to any of my questions?

Options

25 Posts

10-05-2009

us

42 Signins

582 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

Re: y450 - RETURNED!

2009-11-19, 21:52 PM

I ended up returning the computer. The technical support guy told me I would be charged if I decided to submit the notebook for repairs and instead I should return the notebook for rembursement. This pisses me off because now I don't have a notebook for school and I have to transfer the OS images to my desktop so I can put them back on the next notebook I get (whatever it may be). I don't see why they would want me to return it. I received the notebook with a Gateway branded charger, the A/C port not working 100% correctly, and the speakers unplugged. It makes no sense whatsoever that I would have to pay for the repairs.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the notebook while worked. If I don't receive some sort of coupon for this blunder I will never purchase a Lenovo branded computer and will retract the recommendations I made to friends about the notebook - as a CS major many friends and family ask for recommendations on notebooks. It's absolutely ridiculous I have to go through this process and waste a lot of my time just to get something to use for classes. Every agent I spoke with on the phone was friendly and understanding but it took me a total of 8 calls to get this sorted out. I had to call 3 different times to have a box sent out to me for repairs. Two separate occasions I ordered a box to be sent to my house and I was 0/2 on receiving that box. 0/2 haha honestly are you kidding me????!!?? The third time I called to ask where the box was the tech support rep. told me I would most likely be charged for repairs even though I never had inflicted damage onto the notebook myself. And there would be a lot of time before I would get the notebook back because of the odd situation. If the outlet would have checked before hand the problems I'm facing now never would exist. If they would have bothered to plug in the notebook to see if it charges THEY WOULD HAVE NOTICED IT'S A GATEWAY A/C ADAPTER and would have noticed you have to fiddle with it for a while to get it to charge. Also, right away they would have noticed that the sound doesn't work because by default , in the bios, it is supposed to emit sound when you initally turn the notebook on. You never would have had to pay for me to ship it back to you. You never would have had to waste the resources of the tech support and you would have had a happy customer. If I can't get the same model for the same price I paid I will be more than disappointed. All I'm asking is for a notebook that works 100%. Not what I had before. I have looked on the outlet and there is nothing near the price I paid for the y450 series. I haven't seen one like mine since I purchased it. I hope one of the mods reads this so It's not just a rant about nothing.

Options

25 Posts

10-05-2009

us

42 Signins

582 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

Re: y450 - RETURNED!

2009-11-25, 4:22 AM

I didn't end up returning it. I still have a few days left to send it back. I don't think I'll be able to find a similar model this cheap. I'm going to make sure the A/C port is functioning properly before I keep it. After using one of my friend's charger with the same amount of volts and amps the notebook requires; it charged like it had never had before.  I ended up cracking open the A/C adapter, spliced the cord, and re-soldered the white cord with the white and the twisted the black cords together. Then taped it like crazy with electrical tape. It charges again but I'm most likely going to get a universal adapter because I think something has been wrong with this gateway charger from the start.. Given that warrantys mean nothing to Lenovo, I am wondering if anyone has taken their y450 apart and can help me. Internally my speakers are unplugged and want to take it apart enough for me to plug it back in. There has to be somewhere where there is this documentation. Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms