Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-26-2013

United States

2 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 1 of 6

Discoloration problem.

2013-02-26, 3:33 AM

Hello!

I have only a cosmetic problem with the Y580. The palm/wrist rest that I frequently use is becoming discolored in one area. Typically I keep my hand in the same position for prolonged periods of time, resulting in sweat accumulating on the rest. I promptly wipe this off.

By discolored, I mean that the color has changed from a metallic finish to a rusty color at one angle and viewpoint and a dull white color from another angle (directly above).

Now I did some research on the Internet but could not find any solutions to my problem. What I did find was that this discoloration was most likely caused by the acidic nature of my sweat oxidizing the metal finish, creating aluminum oxide. This aluminum oxide is the rusty/dull white color that I described.

My question is, is it possible to fix this with a simple household remedy? Or should I go out and buy some chemicals or brushes to alleviate this problem?

And if I cannot fix it myself, does Lenovo warranty cover this type of damage? Frankly other metal keyboards I have used in the past have not had this problem before; I have not changed my keyboarding habits since then either.

Thank you! :)

Options

353 Posts

05-29-2012

UK, England

1847 Signins

7696 Page Views

• Views: 7696
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Discoloration problem.

2013-02-26, 13:12 PM

Could you post a photo so we can see how bad the damage is, if it`s more than just normal wear and tear and you are still in warranty, you could contact lenovo.

I dont know about how to fix the damage, but you could buy a couple of cheap tablet screen protectors and cut them up and cover the metal, they should work on the touchpad as well.

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Options

3 Posts

02-26-2013

United States

2 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 3 of 6

2013-02-27, 2:20 AM

Hey!

Here are a couple of photos.

NOTE: the rectangle shape was where the old advertisement sticker was. I never removed it since buying the laptop but removed it last night to assess the damage. Obviously nothing under the sticker was damaged.

Link to image 1

Link to image 2

Link to image 3

Moderator note: images larger than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

Options

1 Posts

03-05-2013

United States

3 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 4 of 6

2013-03-05, 14:23 PM

Similar problem here, but discoloration is already visible two weeks in. I have only been using it very lightly (most of the work-related stuff is still on the old notebook) and have been gaming on it for 20 hours tops.

This is a picture of the palm rest after the label is removed; you can see a halo around where the sticker was.

Link to image

Moderator note: images larger than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

Options

2 Posts

06-13-2019

Canada

2 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 5 of 6

Discoloration problem.

2020-08-09, 11:42 AM
I had the same problem with my P1 Gen2, i7-9850H (a quite expensive laptop), and had a wide range of discoloration on my touchpad. It seems discoloration but actually its oil-smeared from your fingers and got deep into the plastic. To remove use ONLY detergent as Palmolive OXY (full is about 3 CA$) + water on a clean cotton cloth. I used it as above rubbing firmly for a minute or so and after used the same cloth washed completely just with the water. The detergent + water removed completely the oil left on the trackpad. Now my trackpad is as new. Good luck! Ottawa, Canada
Options

1 Posts

12-23-2020

India

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 6 of 6

Re:Discoloration problem.

2020-12-23, 13:52 PM

Same, exact same problem. The discolouration set in within 2 weeks of purchasing a new Lenovo Ideapad S340 in May. Have been struggling to find answers and normal cleaning agents seem to have no impact on the discolouration whatsoever. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms